Can Papaya cultivation be done in Raigad

I am new to the forum and have just joined. Have been reading this forum for quite some time and thought should join and be a member of the forum to gain some knowledge.

I have around 4 acres of land in Poladpur Raigad, Maharashtra. Currently nothing is grown there and there are some neem trees there. I wanted to know if it is possible to grow Papaya there. We have red soil there.

I found that government nurseries in Raigad do not have Papaya. Was wondering is it because it is just not grown yet by anyone or is it because it is not suitable for this region. I found lot of people in Kerala doing Papaya cultivation so not sure why it can’t be done in Konkan belt.

Any help from experts here will be helpful.

Dear Sri Kandalam,

Papaya is a Trophical zone crop, which requires mostly hot and humid climate. Do well with less rains and soils should not be low lying and water logging is an adverse condition.

It is practically observed that it is doing well in semi arid zones also, but production quantity is less comparitive to Trophical areas, with hot and humid climates , but quality of fruit is extraordinary. Good colour, good aroma and good sweetness.

As your’s is high rain fall area, take the advise of local Horti authorities, or go for small area cultivation and results will be known in 10 months.

One thing is sure, that you will fetch premium price.

with good wishes, g.p.rao, farmer.

Thank you sir for the reply.

Can you suggest any other horticulture plants with short term. Mango and kaju and coconut is very long term and doesn’t give much benefit in smaller areas of 4 acres.

Dear Sri Kandalam,

You can visit Vengurla , Cashew research centre and meet the professors of Cashew plantations. Some of the worlds best cashew varieties are released by them. They will suggest you basing on your area, which is near to them, i beleive. Like wise, Rathnagiri dist is very famous for Alphonso Mango, which is one of the worlds best mango variety. It is also near konkan area , i think.

with best wishes, g.p.rao, farmer

Dear GP Rao,

Can you please help me to understand the mango farming in Raigad district. I am new for this area and looking towards for mango farming there. I stay in Mumbai and planning to manage it from here.

What should be cheapest price for mango farming land in Roha, Mangoan and Mahad. I need cheap land location. Can you also provide some basic information if my decision is right.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Birendra Singh

Dear Sri Birendra Singh,

I am a farmer farming in Karnataka, 75 kms from Bengaluru.

upto my knowledge, your area is good for growing Mango, particularly Alphonso. For farming Mango, even a visit, once in one week or 15 days is manageable.

I do not have any idea about real estate.

with best wishes, g.p.rao, farmer

Thanks Rao for the information you provided.