Borewell not giving sufficient water

Hello everyone i got borewell done in my farm we got water at around 270 feet after that there was layer of white sand in which they drilled till 340 feet we added casing for 30feets only as after 20-25 feet we got black stone till 270-280 feets the borewell contractors told us that we will get atleast 2inches of water so we decided to go for kirloskar hh series pump which has got 5hp motor and 8stage pumpset consisting of 40feet in each stage. Before buying the pump we measured the level of water and base of the borewell with the help of rope and chain so after 1month the water level was at 35 feet and the base of borewell was at 250 feets so we installed the motor at 230 feet but it runs only for 3-5 minutes in the interval of half hour or one hour but when it runs it gives us 2inch water for that short duration and completely stops giving water in 3-5minutes so what should we do please suggest me proper solution for the same.

1. The bore well yield may not be equal to or above that of pump suction rate. Try reducing delivery rate .
  2. The sand could have sunked in blocking free flow of water.

Immediately after the water flow stops, try measuring the water level depth from ground level and this will give you an idea of rate of water recharge from the bottom.

How to minimise the delivery rate of pump. Once we ran it on low voltage it gave us 1 inch water for 5-7 minutes i think there are 2 possible things in this matter 1 is the borewell contractors fooled us by saying we got atleast 2-2.5 inches water or the water which we got at 270 feet was blocked by the sand as the base of the bore is now at 250 feet when we measured it with rope and chain. Now we are in touch with some experts who will probably come this friday and will suggest us some solution till then i request experts in this forum to give your valuable inputs.

This is the image of bore working

From the image I deduce that the water flow is either blocked / choked or little. The “throw” seems to be less. I think the flow wud have been farther initially and dwindled after a short while towards the point of exit of the delivery pipe.

You can use a reducing coupler of suitable size ( 2.5" to 1 " or 2 " to 1 " depending upon the current delivery pipe size) to build sufficient pressure in the delivery line.

You had posted that the bore well was drilled to a depth of 340 feet and now you measure up to 250 feet only.

This clearly shows that sand has caved in. I don’t know the size of the suction / casing pipe you have used. You may ask the drillers to clear the sand up to 340 feet and send in a lesser dia PVC pipe up to the bottom of 340 feet . This lesser dia pipe may be used as suction pipe .Of course this will send the sand along with water but the bore hole will not be blocked.

Hope this information helps.

The bore was drilled to the depth of 340 feet but after 280 or as soon as we got water there was layer of white sand in which they drilled till 340 feet hoping to get stone layer again but there was no stone down there so they stopped drilling, i think as soon as they brought out their equipment the bore must have caved in after 270-280 feet as that layer was that of white sand.

The casing is of 6’1/2 inches after that bore is of 6’ inches and the gi pipe line from pump to the top is of 2’ inches. In the image u are seeing 2’ inch 20 feet gi pipe after the bend.

Luckily today i got to know that the drilling contractors have come near our village so i contacted him to which he is now saying to me that u were there that day and you saw the water coming yourself and there must be no water now so what can i do. So i asked him to meet me tomorrow and provide me the solution for the same or flush clean the bore.

[quote=pritish1]
The bore was drilled to the depth of 340 feet but after 280 or as soon as we got water there was layer of white sand in which they drilled till 340 feet hoping to get stone layer again but there was no stone down there so they stopped drilling, i think as soon as they brought out their equipment the bore must have caved in after 270-280 feet as that layer was that of white sand.

The casing is of 6’1/2 inches after that bore is of 6’ inches and the gi pipe line from pump to the top is of 2’ inches. In the image u are seeing 2’ inch 20 feet gi pipe after the bend.

Luckily today i got to know that the drilling contractors have come near our village so i contacted him to which he is now saying to me that u were there that day and you saw the water coming yourself and there must be no water now so what can i do. So i asked him to meet me tomorrow and provide me the solution for the same or flush clean the bore.
[/quot]

Mr. Pritish,

As per the description of the construction of your borewell & as per the running time of the submersible Pumpset installed in your borewell, I would want you to understand the following aspects for helping you take the appropriate measures with your borewell water problem -

Always water coming into the borewell, in stream, comes from up to down i.e. that water in the aquifers flows to the lower elevation in the borewell & maintain its level (STATIC LEVEL) in the borewell.

For effecient pumping, pump must be installed below the Dynamic Water Level (refer fig. Below)

If no water level electrodes or level switches are installed, the water level may be drawn down to the suction interconnector
of the pump and the pump will then draw in air.

Long time operation with water containing air may damage the pump and cause insufficient cooling of the motor

In your case, the depth of the borewell available is 250 feets & I suppose that you must have installed your pumpset at 200 feets, the Kirloskar Pump 05 HP, 08 Stage - which you had mentioned shall deliver the following quantities at respective Heads (H) in Mtrs 76(H) - 60 (LPM), 69(H) - 120(LPM), 60(H) - 160(LPM), 54(H) - 180(LPM), 31(H) - 240(LPM), 15(H) - 270(LPM).

Considering the friction loss we may assume that you are able to pump 150 LPM with your pump installed at 60 mtrs depth, i.e. if your pump runs for 5 minutes at every 30 minutes you are able to get 1500 Litres per Hour i.e. 36,000 Litres in 24 hours duration time.

Suggestion for Solution to your requirement -

1. As your borewell is caved in becuase of the sandy formation & also you did not find any confined formation i.e. rocky
    formation upto 340 feets depth, i would suggest that, you may not incur any further expenses on flushing the borewell or
    trying to lower the less diameter screen pipe upto the bottom of the borewell i.e. 340 feets, which would be a very costly
    affair, instead, u must install the level sensors in the borewell for automization of the pumpset & u may also try to reduce
    the off time period of the pumpset to upto 20 minutes to increase the cycle of pumping in an hour, to get maximum water
    quantity in an hour.

2. You may control the flow by fixing a ½" dia ball valve at the discharge nozzle of your GI pipe, & connect it with the flexible
    hose pipe to return the ½" flow back into the borewell for the prolonged continuous flow of water.

I hope the above given suggestions shall help you with your requirements.

May you have any further queries, please feel free to contact us at any time.

Regards,

YASH D SHAH
Mob: - 08652810004

I have installed the pumpset at 230 feet. Can u pls tell me how to install 1/2 inch ball valve on 2 inch pipeline and return that 1/2 inch water back to the bore and why not install 1 inch ball valve.
And what should i do if the bore yield is not sufficient. I am asking this question as i wanted to start dairy farm on that land it is 10 acre land and i am in my early 20s with almost no experience in farming but i got training in dairy and i need ample amount of water to start dairy farm project.

Hi Pritish,

Way’s to ensure that you get the motor running nonstop is;

A)Have a dry run protection in your starter - This would not compromise on discharge but will reduce the run time

B)Lower the pump further down

• Your pump is rated to discharge a whopping 180LPM even at 76m head, but then it does support till 122m.So leave 40ft of the boredepth and lower the pump till then. This will ensure the motor runs non-stop but output will be low

C)As Yash suggested, have a refill done. For this have a tee at the delivery point.One end will actually give the output. At the other end have a reducer (2" to 1/2") and connect a 1/2" HDPE hose and drop it inside the bore till the dynamic water level.If you install 1" then you would be losing more water coming out of the output.

But even before all this, ascertain what is your cumulative water requirement per day depending on no of hrs of power you receive. This will help you to size the pump correctly.

I have shared in other posts and am sharing here again,

Always ensure that the actual yield of the pump should be less than the boreyield.

Hope this helps!

Regards.

My pump model no is 60hhn-0508 50mm

Currently we are getting power from generator but it wont be a problem even if we apply for a new connection as the line from which we will get power is from village and it has almost 24 hour supply.

How can we measure the actual bore yield as the borewell contractors are not reliable they tell more yield to make customers happy so what should i look for when getting bore done in future.

Dear Mr. Pritish,

I am sure your requirement of water for Dairy Farm is a huge amount of water to feed the live stocks.

I undoubtedly understand that providing enough quality water is essential for good livestock husbandry. Water makes up 80% of the blood, regulates body temperature and is vital for organ functions such as digestion, waste removal and the absorption of nutrients. Understanding daily livestock watering needs is key when designing a livestock watering system.

The daily water requirement of livestock varies significantly among animal species. The animal’s size and growth stage will have a strong influence on daily water intake. Consumption rates can be affected by environmental and management factors. Air temperature, relative humidity and the level of animal exertion or production level are examples of these factors. The quality of the water, which includes temperature, salinity and impurities affecting taste and odour, will also have an effect. The water content of the animal’s diet will influence its drinking habits. Feed with a relatively high moisture content decreases the quantity of drinking water required.

Milk is composed of nearly 87% water.

My idea here of explaining the water requirement for Dairy farm is to suggest you that, ground water is a very scarce resource, u don’t find groundwater source as per your requirement, anywhere & everywhere in your plot area to drill a borewell. I would like you to understand, the cycle of the Ground Water & what things you can rely upon while selecting the New Borewell Location & while Drilling of the Borewell -

Things to understand while locating new borewell point -

" The ground water is a percolated rain water" u need to understand the Gravity belt in & around your plot area, Water finding survey, plays an important role for locating the Gravity Belt by studying the following five aspects -

1. Topographical Situations of your plot i.e. the slope, elevations etc.

2. Gelolgical situation of your plot area i.e. the Vertical height & Horizontal disctance of your plot from the Sea Level.

3. Natural Growth of Vegetations -

Various ecological and environmental interactions are mentioned as indicators of groundwater.

The occurrence of water below the surface at depths ranging from 3.43 to 171.40 m with the help of various plants
    and grass varieties could be known.

4. Considering Previous records of the surrounding areas borewells & wells -

You must study of all available information on existing wells i.e. information pertaining to the drilling and construction of wells would be the main sources of information, depth. thickness. and description of rock formations penetrated: water level variations as successive strata are penetrated; yields from water-bearing formations penetrated and the corresponding draw downs; the form of well construction; and the yield and draw down of the well upon completion. variations in yield and water quality and a history of any problems associated with the well since its completion.

On the elevated plateau tops having good areal extent, local water table develops in top most layers and the wells in such areas show rapid decline water levels in postmonsoon season and go dry during peak summer. In the foot hills zone the water table is relatively shallow near the water courses and deep away from it and near the water divides.

Therefore, the dugwells located in the topographic lows, morphological depressions and on or near the lineaments yield comparatively more water than the located elsewhere, which is particularly true in basaltic terrain.

I have tried to explain here the basics for determining the best water location based on the Universal principles of Water.

Drilling a New Borewell -

The borewell is drilled by the DTH (Down The Hole) method, In DTH drilling the percussion mechanism – commonly called the hammer – is located directly behind the drill bit. The drill pipes transmit the necessary feed force and rotation to hammer and bit plus compressed air or fluids for the hammer and flushing of cuttings. The fast hammer action breaks hard rock into small flakes and dust and is blown clear by the air exhaust from the DTH hammer, in this process, due to higher ROP (Rate Of Penetration) the borewell with the mediocre yield may end up giving no yield due to the cementation caused due the dust & water (Influxes) on the wall of the borewell.

Therefore, to get the water yield available in the borewell, we have to maintain the Annular Velocity of minimum 3000ft/min for cleaning of the borewell & 5000ft/min for the optimum cleaning of the borewell, by introducing the appropriate amount of Drilling Fluid (Water) to avoid the influxes in the annulus that may restrict the bore hole cleaning with continued Air drilling in the presence of water.

In your Case -

By studying the map of Hoshangabad area, I understand that it is bounded by Satpura ranges in south and by Narmada river in the north. The area slopes north west toward the Narmada river. The slope is generally step at the foothills of Satpura but moderate to gentle towards Narmada river.

A large number of north westerly flowing tributaries originating from the Satpura join the Narmada.

The above data indicates that the Laminar flow of Ground water is from North-West & South-East, as such, U may find the better location for drilling near the natural riven i.e. near the natural rain drainage flow path.

The permeability of the soil is low, You may go for Multiple borewells (Near by Borewells) i.e. 1 main borewell & other (02 No.s) supply wells in the peri pheri of the main borewell in the particular water bearing zone to get the maximum yield from the main borewell.

Though there will be near by borewells the supply wells shall get interconnected with the main borewell to increase the yield of the main borewell.

You can also drill the supply wells near your existing borewells to increase the yield.

We wish u all the Best!

Regards,

YASH D SHAH

Please Note - Without any prejudice, above given suggestions are for your understanding only, Actual drilling works & other suggested remedies at your site must be undertaken with consultation of the experts & experienced Drilling agencies or Hydrogeologists, as per the onsite conditions only.

The water is sweet in taste but is not sufficient for my requirement.

The location of my farm is near Hoshangabad but it is somewhat hilly area and with lesser possibility of adequate ground water. Just 4-5 km from my village there is another village where even open wells don’t change their water level with continuous motor running so i think i will need to change my location :slight_smile:

Greeting from Water and Mineral Explorer,
We have well-experienced Hydrogeologists How are worked in Rural Development of Telangana State Andhra Pradesh for Irrigation by Ground Water.
For Borehole point/Hydro-Geological Survey to Locate Ground Water for Bore Well by HydroGeologists-
Please Contact on 9949110706/ +919573016105.

There are a few options .

1. get a lower powered motor with higher stages like a 3hp ,12 stage
  2. Clean the borewell and rebore as the water yield is low at the moment
    3 . Drill a bore nearby and expect to do screen casing for the soft mud region