Bhendi and beans in the summer

Hello
Wanted some help with bhendi and beans.
We are going for seeding in the month of march. The confusion is whether the plants can withstand the summer sun. We get rains hopefully in the month of April.
The local are of the view that beans will not survive the sun. Please give proper guidance on this and tricks and techniques to escape the sun.
We are going for 3 acres bhendi and 3 acres beans.
Also, any information on correct yields will help as I am not getting the information anywhere.

Thanks
Nikhil

Dear Sri Nikhil,

As far as beans are concerned, is it French beans or cluster beans( goru chikkudu/ guwar/ goru kaya ). If it is cluster beans, you can go for the crop even in summer.

If it is French Beans , my sincere advise to you is ’ not to go for it’ Iin March. Up to my knowledge, it will not come fruitfully in our temperatures in March. It is a fact that Bengaluru temp is at around 33 in February end it self and itay go to even above 38 or more this year.

French beans comes well in temp between 18 to 32(max) degrees. Hence I opine that it may be a risk for cropping French beans in march month. This is my sincere opinion.

As far as Bendi (lady finger,Okhra ) , you can comfortably go for sowing the seeds in march month. If you like, you can go for open farming, with shade net (50%) and/or by sowing now, the Agisse/Avise seedlings @ a distance of 6 ft in alternative rows. These seeds are very cheap and will cost you nominal ,less than rs 200/_ per acre. They have to be sown at least 20 to 25 days before the bendi crop.They provide 25 to 30% shade to Bendi/Okhra/lady finger , plants.

This is a Very short term crop and you have to take care of sucking pest in the first 60 days carefully. Flowers starts at 35 to 40 days and Bendi comes to first yield by 50 to 55 days.

Make sure to harvest at right time ( or 1 day before right time ), to get command able price.

Keep Light traps, yellow/blue sticky traps and regular sprays of Neem oil with 10,000 ppm of Azhadirictin content, at regular intervals, to control sucking pests, and also yellow mosaic virus, which generally doubles with sucking pests.

As far as possible, use maximum Organic fertilisers, FYM, cakes, Micro Organisms etc along with water soluble fertilisers and insecticides also.

Wish you all the best, g.p.Rao, farmer

Dear GP Rao Sir,
i have sowed bendi, watermelon, cucumber seeds in seed tray for my balcony , i am planning to transplant it to pots with potting mix next week , please advise me with the fertigration schedule for those ( NPK ratio , and other nutrients humic acid, mg etc )

Thanks in advance

Dear Mr Akthar sir,

If you want to grow vegetables in pots and specially for your own domestic use, only apply Organic Fertilisers and organic pesticides.

Mix the required Farm yard manure/vermicompost/leaf compost etc along with local soil, and in it , if available add Trichoderma viride, psuedomonas, paceilomysis,PSB, Azatobacter etc. If not available , add Jeevamrutha /panchagavya/ to the pot soil. These can take care of fertigation and soil born diseases. Spray jeevamrutha/panchagavya, Regularly or spray of neem oil @ 10,000 ppm Azhadirictin content/or, cow urine, added with crush juice of Garlic/green chillies/Hing(Asafoetida) , etc , once in 15 days for control of Insects, and/or remove them manually, as the extent is small and manageable.

One fact is that, you need not quantify the Organic fertilisers/mannures fed to your plants and with even if more quantity, they are utilizable by the plants , when ever they are in need and they will not change their quality/shape, even time passes also.

You and your family will have healthy, pure organic vegetables.

Hope this may suits your needs.

With best wishes sir, g.p.Rao, farmer

Dear G.p Rao Sir,

I have been growing vegetables successfully in my balcony . But lately I have observed mealy bug pests infecting my plants . I am fed up removing manually them by spraying them heavily with water . I used neem oil of 1000 ppm but when I used it every 10 days during infection time my flowering on the vegetables ceased . So I stopped spraying neem oil and I am doing lice business daily . Removing similarly like removing lice from.forehead . I even tried garlic , chilli application . But no use .

If you have any good and organic way so that I can get rid of them will be really helpful to me sir .

Thanks
Narendra

Dear GP Rao Sir,
first of all thank you very much for your reply , unfortunately here in saudi arabia i cannot get below mentioned organic items , and we have to depend on NPK , mg etc , please advise can we grow with those available items .

Thanks in advance
Akthar

Dear Rao Sir,

Please find below the link for the fertilizers available here in saudi arabia

imgur.com/a/t3TnB

Thanks
Akthar

Dear Mr Akthar sir,

OK sir. It has all most all the required nutrients. Purchase 10 kg packet of shown fertiliser.

Apply/Mix very small quantity of this in a jug of water thoroughly and pour in the pots , once in a week. By seing the result , try to increase or decrease the dose.

With best wishes, g.p.Rao, farmer

Dear Sri Narendra,

Little costly but very useful Insecticide by name ’ Triple CI ’ , which is manufactured by Phalada Agro Products , Karnataka state , which is mostly available in all leading Fertiliser and pesticide shops.

If you have Jeevamrutha/Desi cow urine, take it 2 parts, add 1/2 part of Garlic , Asofoetada ( Hing, Inguva) and green chilli juiced crush, in equal parts and take 7_1/2 parts of water and spray it on the mealibug affected plants. Control the black ants also.

These two above are the Organic method control of mealy bugs.

Small advise : to see the touring of black ants in your garden and observe the mealy bug problem in the initial days and control it .

Hope either or these two sprays will solve your problem.

With best wishes, g.p.Rao, farmer

Dear GP Rao Sir,
there are different ratios of NPK in it please advise also i have shared the image link for the available fertilizers here in KSA , it will be very kind of you if you can suggest me from it .

Thanks in advance.
Akthar

Dear Mr Akthar sir,

For home growing pot vegetables , fruits and flowers, pl don’t purchase so many fertilisers. Basically , home growers use only organic fertilisers generally.

Since you said that they are not available, pl purchase triple 18’s triple 19’s or triple 20’s and along with it purchase micro nutrient packet. Apply very small quantity per pot and apply/spray micro nutrients once in 4 weeks on the plants.

Triple 18’s is available in the list. For home use i opine that the above with a packet of micro nutrients is sufficient , i beleive.

If you purchase separate fertilisers, it may not be economical sir for home use.

This is my opinion , with my agricultural practice.

With best wishes sir, g.p.Rao, farmer

Dear GP Rao Sir,
Thanks a lot sir, farmnest and your posts are the inspiration and motivation behind me to try this in the balcony , I would like to meet you when i come bck to India .

Dear Mr Akthar sir,

Thanks for comments , your satisfaction and you are most welcome for a meeting with me. It will be a good opportunity to me.

With good wishes, g.p.Rao, farmer

Hello Sir,

I tried for the sprays of phalada . I couldn’t source anywhere in the market . I tried calling them but no one could pick the call .

Can you help me where can I source this in vizag .

Thanks
Narendra

Dear Sri Narendra,

I can give you the phone number and address of Phalada Agro Research Foundation, kannalli, Segehalli cross,Magadi Road, Bengaluru, karnataka. 080 28536762 .

Try to Contact them and you will get their distributor, near by to you. Their products are good and certified by the international certifying Agencies.

With best wishes, g.p.rao, farmer

I tried calling them many times before the and number mentioned months website . they never pick up the call sir.

Thanks
Narendra

Dear GP Rao Sir,

I am planning for converting 10 acers ( with water -bore + channel , with solar for electricity) of agriculture land in Davanagere ( Karnataka)

currently we are into mono crop ( paddy).

I kindly request your suggestion.

Thanks and Best Regards
Somashekar

Dear Sri Somashekar sir,

Congratulations for your venture.

Please present your questions in our Farmer Friendly Forum. We all will try to advise you the best.

With best wishes, g.p.rao, farmer

Dear GP Rao Sir,

I read most of your suggestions in this Forum, First I would like to thank you for your prompt suggestions.

Sir, I read your few suggestions on integrated forming, I wanted to establish the same in 10 acers,
I am planning for Arecanut + Paddy + Bananna + Papaya to start with , I wanted to start this rainy season.

How should I plan my activities to achieve above, what are the key measures I need to take before I get into these activities,
I am a strong believer of " Slow and Steady" .

currently only 8 acers of Padday (Nati) has been done. 2 acers is still unutilized, suggest me if I can use these two acers for Bendi , will this be ok to start Bendi cultivation in April 2017, pls suggest.

I want to meet you in person as well sir, pls share the info, so that I can meet you in person.

Thanks and Best Regards
Som