Basic Questions: biofarms, sampadafarms, saverafarms, ramprakash L etc

Basic questions for determining cost of cultivation and generating supporting data for planning & analysis of the farm project

I know how nutrient capacity, measurement for land can be done using soil analysis, however the question that is really bothering me is the basis on which recommendation on fertilizer / nutrient application that are available in many publications and university websites (crop specific)

Some of the questions that I have are as follows, will greatly appreciate inputs from experienced and qualified members. These question are speficic to the following scenario only

Non protected cultivation (no greenhouse / polyhouse)
Organic / Natural farming
[ol]
*How do you determine nutrient requirement for a crop?
*Is there a publication or indicative guideline?
*Equation or basis for nutrient application recommendations (for both dosage and frequency)
*Is the answer to the above similar for common group of plant species e.g. recommendations for Cucumber can be fairly assumed as common to all of the cucurbitaceae family?
*Is the use of biofertilizer / plant growth hormones equivalent to genetic modification / alteration or can it be classified as organic?
*How do you determine water requirement for a crop? (I am aware this may be region specific because of temperature but a general guideline would be nice)[/ol]

These may seem like basic questions, but I think it helps in a long way for people like me who do not have this information or knowledge. I am not asking for exact data, only approximations or guidelines

Inputs solicited especially from biofarms, sampadafarms, saverafarms, ramprakash L and other farmers / growers

kind regards,
Brijesh

Brijesh,

Sorry to butt in with my non-expert thoughts.

1. Methods used for the determination of nutrient requirements are: deficiency symptoms, soil tests, plant analysis and field trials . Sixteen chemical elements are known to be important to a plant’s growth and survival. The sixteen chemical elements are divided into two main groups: non-mineral and mineral. The Non-Mineral Nutrients are hydrogen (H), oxygen (O), & carbon (C) which are found in water and air. The Mineral Nutrients come from the soil. Mineral nutrients are classified as macronutrients and micronutrients. The macro nutrients are nitrogen (N), phosphorus (P), and potassium (K). These major nutrients usually are lacking from the soil. The secondary nutrients are calcium (Ca), magnesium (Mg), and sulfur (S) and plants use large amounts of these for their growth and survival. The micronutrients are boron (B), copper (Cu), iron (Fe), chloride (Cl), manganese (Mn), molybdenum (Mo) and zinc (Zn). Different plants/crops exhibit different symptoms of deficiency of macro and micro nutrients.

The soil tests should indicate macro and micro nutrient availability for plants. Total fertilizer needs are calculated based on plant nutrient needs multiplied by the nutrient content in the fertilizer, multiplied by the fertilizer-use efficiency (under
given conditions)

The most accurate method of determining crop nutrient needs, is through tissue analysis. The tissue analysis will tell you what the plant is taking up and it, along with a soil test, can help you determine what nutrients need to be applied to the crop. The technique involves determining the elemental composition of plant tissue during the growing season and then comparing these values with those already established for a normal, healthy plant.

1. TNAU has guidelines. Please check their website.

2. Total fertilizer needs are calculated based on plant nutrient needs multiplied by the nutrient content in the fertilizer, multiplied by the fertilizer-use efficiency (under given conditions). The frequency is decided on the basis of a plants physiological stage based on their absorption curve during various growth stages

3. No. IMO, each plant has its specific need.

4. No. What you feed the plant has nothing to do with genetic modification. Genetically modified plants will undergo specific changes which are introduced into their DNA by genetic engineering. Example, from seeded grapes to non-seed grapes. However, if you expose a certain plant/crop to a specific condition i.e in terms of weather, nutrient, water etc, the plant may adapt itself to a particular environment and eventually subject itself to genetic modification in the longer term.

If you are using synthetic growth hormones then its not organic. The purview of Organic farming limits itself to the way you grow it i.e without the use of chemical fertilizers/pesticides etc and does not impose any limitations on the type of crop you grow i.e GM or Non GM. So, I would think growing GM crops in an organic way would still make it organic.

1. To type it here would have been long and lengthy. Please refer to fao.org/docrep/S2022E/s2022e07.htm

Thanks although I understand the nutrient composition and role (macro & micro) for plant growth and development. My query is somewhat different, I want to understand if there is standard nutrient matrix available for commercial horticultural crops, which I think should should be i.e. a guideline. (something like ideal NPK/others levels for plants/acre for standard growth and flowering, other factors being consistent, I am not looking for dosage&application)

What guideline are you talking about? TNAU has information on what consititues plant nutrients, application & dosage of nutrients for precision farming. I have not found any information which is specific to nutrient requirement of a particular crop, please can you post the link where I can find this on the TNAU website

Ok, so if I get the plant nutrient need then I can figure out the rest I need

Thanks for the rest

Thanks Brijesh for asking these questions…i too had exactly similar questions…

Thanks Agri - for providing good info…

Dear Mr.,
BIOFARMS IS WORKING ON ENTIRELY DIFFERENT SYSTEM. THAT YOU CAN’T COMPARE WITH ANY EXISTING SYSTEMS. THAT IS THE SECRET BEHIND 98% SUCCESS IN CARDAMOM , BANANA, VEGETABLES ETC… ONE GOOD EXAMPLE IS BANANA NETWORK ,KARNATAKA. SO FAR I POSTED MANY TECHNOLOGIES, NO, OUT COME. THOSE WHO ARE FOLLOWING OUR STEPS ARE HAPPY.
SO NEVER PUT BIOFARMS INTO UNWANTED DISCUSSIONS. I AM READY TO HELP REAL FARMERS.
THANK YOU
GOOD LUCK