Another newbie venturing into farming

Hi All,

I am a telecom professional working in UAE for about 10 years, planning to enter the world of farming which has been long overdue. I plan to start 2000 sq mt poly house for Gerbera , Dutch rose and Marigold in Kerala near Guruvayoor to have onhand experience to start with. Then I would be moving to Mysore as I will be making my base there

1. Which option will be ideal for cut flower cultivation in Mysore & Kerala ie Polyhouse (uncontrolled , partially controlled or completely controlled)

2. Will shade net be practical for Mysore & Kerala climate, query is to reduce cost

3. Does Karnataka / Kerala govt. provide any sort of assistance / subsidy , if so what is the eligibility criteria

4. Do consultants who construct poly house for farmers assist in soil and water testing and provide regular guidance for cut flower cultivation

5. Can gerbera , Dutch rose and marigold be cultivated in the same poly house considering factors like soil PH , climate , irrigation requirements

I would really appreciate if you could provide some information for my queries

Thanks in advance

Hi Pbee,

Considering the crops you intend to grow, I suggest controlled PH which NHB here in India refers to fan & pad PH.

Also, remember shadenet is cheap but would it serve the purpose? Rainy season is trouble with sepage of water. Also, with shadenet its no more controlled protected cultivation.

There are subsidy schemes both from NHM and NHB but unfortunately it varies time and again. Its better to approach the state NHM for clarity

There are consultants who offer complete turn key setup, but I would advise caution. Ideally I would prefer hiring someone for the PH construction, and one for bed preparation, seed supply and fertigation advise.

By the way, I dont see any problem in growing all the three under one roof.May be others would to comment if its otherwise.

Regards,

Saravana

Thanks Saravana for your input

Do you have any information regarding consultants in Kerala for PH

Regards

search internet and you will find all govt approved poly house companies who erect it for you.
flowers have very volatile market price,it can sell for 20 rupees a bud today and 2 rupees a bud next day,and sometimes no buyers at all.
vegetables like capsicum and tomato are equally good for poly house and easy to sell.

[quote=Pbee]
Hi All,

I am a telecom professional working in UAE for about 10 years, planning to enter the world of farming which has been long overdue. I plan to start 2000 sq mt poly house for Gerbera , Dutch rose and Marigold in Kerala near Guruvayoor to have onhand experience to start with. Then I would be moving to Mysore as I will be making my base there

1. Which option will be ideal for cut flower cultivation in Mysore & Kerala ie Polyhouse (uncontrolled , partially controlled or completely controlled)

2. Will shade net be practical for Mysore & Kerala climate, query is to reduce cost

3. Does Karnataka / Kerala govt. provide any sort of assistance / subsidy , if so what is the eligibility criteria

4. Do consultants who construct poly house for farmers assist in soil and water testing and provide regular guidance for cut flower cultivation

5. Can gerbera , Dutch rose and marigold be cultivated in the same poly house considering factors like soil PH , climate , irrigation requirements

I would really appreciate if you could provide some information for my queries

Thanks in advance
[/quote] Dear Farmer sir, upto my practical knowledge, i wants to answer your first question. For fully controlled ( called heated green houses ) greenhouse/polyhouse, both places are good. For uncontrolled ie; naturally ventilated gh/ph mysore is the best place compared to kerala weather.

answer for your 2nd question , shadenet is not suitable for growing gerbera, dutch roses to good quality and they require gh/ph only to get good quality flowers throught the year production.

answer for your 3 rd question, In karnataka, per person rs 16,80,000/- per acre green house/poly house ,is given for karnataka farmers apart from subsidy to drip irrigation (nhm).

Answer for your 4 th question, consultants are diffarent and gh/ph constructors are diffarent. soil and water can be done at kvk’s .

Answer for your 5 th question, as far as my knowledge concerned, it is better to grow in seperate ghs/phs each crop.

thank you sir, hope the above may support your cropping, g.p.rao, farmer

Hello I happened to see an old post of of yours regarding poly house in Kerala.
What is the status of your project now. Did you find any good suppliers in Kerala
Reply to whatsapp 7034703915 will be appreciated

Regards
Vijayan
trivandrun