Air Layering Moringa?

Hi,

Can moringa be propagated by air layering method? Will the yields be as good as original stock plant
Please let me have your inputs. Thanks

Hi?
Yes it can work. It can give same result up to some extent. Further it can propogate through grown stem/branch of plant too.

Thank you Sir. Will layer a good number of plants this week and share the results in about 45 days. I am assuming it would take that much time for root formation

[quote=xisfan]
Thank you Sir. Will layer a good number of plants this week and share the results in about 45 days. I am assuming it would take that much time for root formation

[/quote] Along with this why can’t to study other way too to study other way too? Plant a cutting of stem and a seed of same tree too?

I would be interested in knowing your little experiment. Do update up after 45 days how did it go and the process of air layering.

Air Layering of Moringa can lead to spectacular results when done with Panchagavya application.

For an account of a farmer’s experience with air layering of Moringa see this news report from Hindu: A farmer’s experimentation leads to a highly popular drumstick variety

Contact details of farmer are included at the end of the report.

The very first attempt at air layering wasn’t very successful.
The stems are so tender they tend to break off even when we attempted a very slight ’ V ’ cut. So all such broken stems we trimmed and planted in bags.
Mr. Swamy by happenstance we are doing what you suggested.
Nevertheless we are pursuing with layering.
Thanks Newbie will use panchagavya and see how that improves too.
Johri -Will keep you posted on the growth.

[quote=xisfan]
The very first attempt at air layering wasn’t very successful.
The stems are so tender they tend to break off even when we attempted a very slight ’ V ’ cut. [/quote]

Air layering is done on older branches of pencil thickness. Looks like you chose branches that are still young.

PS: Here are step-by-step directions for air layering.

Thank you newbie, we made cut on both sides, will try on one side or just unwrap the bark and let the roots form

Great. Look forward to your report.

Figure 2 may be the ideal method since the stems are quite tender in Moringa?
Some pics will be great.