Air compressors vs Submersible pumps

Dear Farmnest members

We are in the process of developing one of our lands, we have an existing bore well of about 100 feet depth, plan to increase the depth to 1000+ feet, currently we have installed hand pump for drinking water purpose only.

Would like to know the cons and pros and when to use air compressors and submersible pumps in the bore well, how do we define the metrics when to use pumps and compressors i.e. flow of water, noise pollution, considering the depth of 1000 + feet, Solar, EB and cost etc.

Appreciate your advise on this

Kind Regards
Sakthi

If you are looking for more water, drilling deep borewell is not a solution. More than 300-400 feet it is not advisable because of contamination of heavy elements,

You can drill for 300-400 and thing of borewell recharging check below videos

youtube.com/watch?v=GPkEydAsjFc

youtube.com/watch?v=_j55sdgO9LE

Dear Sakthi,

Air compressors offer very low discharge when compared to submersible pumps.

Such compressors were famous when there were no pumpsets available in market for such deeper borewells. But off late manufacturers have come up with pumping systems that can work at depths even 1400ft.

Your power connection, water requirement ,pressure needs etc are factored while choosing between either one of these.

Regards,

Saravana Kumar

Thank you Mr Sri, this was very good information for guys like me.

The point on contamination is very important and this to be taught to Apartment residents in Bangalore as most the Apartment residents in Bangalore which are mostly run on Borewell with minimum depth of 1000 feets as there is no Cauvery water in newly developed places like Sarjapur Road, outer Ring road and some part of Marathahalli, all the lakes in the city which was used for recharging groundwater is no more as most of the lakes have sold to real estate owners or occupied.

Kind Regards
Sakthi

Thanks Mr. Saravana Kumar

It is empty land with small bore, it is about 8 acres and there is no electricity, we are planning to use 4 acres for single short term crop cultivation, other 4 acres to plant tress like coconut, fruit and timber trees, I am assuming 250 LPM for 4 to 5 hours will be sufficient for the above said requirement, during summer we will not cultivate any crops but irrigate trees only.

I am not sure my assumption on water requirement is correct, please correct me if i am wrong, current bore well is about 100 feet, we are not sure about the yield, that is the reason we are planning to increase the depth of the bore well and decide further.

On electricity, we have not applied for connection from TNEB but thinking of applying for EB and also thinking about Solar or any other alternative which works out based better on financially.

Kind Regards
Sakthi

Dear Sakthi,

One point which might be useful for your consideration is that air compressors are easier to service when they malfunction, whereas, submersibles has to be lifted to the surface to service them.

Regards
Shan

Dear Mr.Sakthi,

Compressor or pumpset, 250 LPM is impossible at 1000ft + depths.

My understanding is you estimate around 75k liters water to be pumped in 4 to 5 hrs of scheduled power availability.

Since you say your current well is only 100+ feet deep, I suggest drilling it further down to may be 350 ~ 400ft & select a suitable pumpset that offers 250LPM in 5 hrs time.

Also, understand your plants watering needs per plant per irrigation schedule, this way you would have a close estimate on how much water you probably need + take into account for tank/contingency if you are planning one.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Saravana Kumar

Hi

Found a research paper on air compressor with timer, i am attaching the link, may be interesting for few.

internationaljournalssrg.org … S-P140.pdf

Kind Regards
Sakthi

Interesting subject,

and i Agree with Mr. saravanakumar’s view, but am still confused after reading the research paper as well :smiley:

What kind of air compressor you searched in indian market Mr sakthi, ?

If you donot have electricity then diesel powered engine-compressor set is the only answer. If you use a diesel powered engine-pump set on ground level it can fetch water till about 25ft deep only. Deside before spending money.
rajan

My question is why a compressor why not a submersible pump? Manufacturers of late have come up with high head V4 submersible pumps.

And its not true that diesel generator powered pumps dont work beyond 25ft.

First is to decide what capacity of pump needed based on head vs discharge & arrange suitable power supply, be it EB or Diesel Engine or Renewable Energy!!

Regards,

Saravana Kumar

Just I want to elaborate abit. Diesel engine -pumpset assembly can’t get watwr below about25ft from the level of pump position. If you use Diesel engine-generator-submersible pumpset then there is no limit on depth, but efficiency of thtse units are very low and not economocal , Please check with the people using them