Advice needed from Sheep/Goat Farm Experts!

Dear members,

I have come here today to seek some proper guidance regarding the establishment of Sheep/Goat farm. I have an unfinished Sheep Farm near Bangalore, Karnataka. I have personally visited some farms, spoke to few people but was not quite satisfied with what I saw or heard. As I have completed my studies from U.S.A and moved back to India only a few years ago, I lack proper exposure to Sheep/Goat Business. So I kindly request all those experts in this field of business to please help me out to complete my Sheep Project.

If someone could help me out in clearing a few doubts of mine, I would really appreciate that.

-I have completed the construction of Sheds.
-I have constructed 3 Sheds (50ft x 30ft each)
-Silage pits have been dug.

1. What are the legal requirements for this business?
  2. Insurance needed? if so, who provides and the cost details.
  3. Intensive or Semi Intensive farming? (land limited)
  4. Can only Lamb Fattening be a viable business option without breeding?
  5. How is the breed Bannur? (Only meat purpose, Bangalore market)
  6. Any other reliable good breeds for meat purpose? (Bangalore market)
  7. Is Bannur suitable for Intensive Farming?
  8. Nutrition requirements of Bannur?
  9. How much Feed/Maize/Lucerne requirement per day/per sheep?
  10. Apart from Maize and Lucerne what else could be fed to sheeps?
  11. How to make pens?
  12. How many sheeps in one pen?
  13. Are pens really required in Lamb Fattening?
  14. How much maize could be harvested from one Acre?
  15. Fresh cut grass required or just silage will do?
  16. How many acres of maize/lucerne needed for 500 Bannur sheeps?

If someone could take the pains of answering to these above questions, I would be really thankful to them! Patiently waiting.

Regards,
Abrar Ahmed.

The front face of Sheep Shed.

Side view of the Shed + Including the space around the Shed.

As I plan for Intensive farming is the area around the shed enough for exercising the sheep?
Area of constructed Shed = 50ft x 30ft = 1500 sqft
Area around the Shed = more than 7000 sqft.
How much time is required for exercising the sheep?

Close Up.

How many sheeps (Bannur) can I house in shed measuring 50ft x 30ft = 1500sqft?
How to go about pens?
Where to keep the feeding pens?
How to arrange for water requirements?

Divider dividing the two Sheds.

-Should I remove this divider as this would make more space for sheeps for exercising?

Full View of Shed.

Hello abrar I will try to answer your questions. 1.Legal requirements are nothing unless u export them.Just provide your goat farm information to your gramsevak and talathi.Its safe. 2.Yes insurance is must.Insurance is provided by the government with 50% subsidy on insurance cost.A goat of 10,000 is insured in 150rs by united india insurance. 3.Semi intensive is good.As there is low risk of dying of goats due to deworming. 4.Breeding gives u more profit rather than lamb flattening. 5.Not known about breed bannur,i have known lot more of osmanabadi goats 6.Other reliable are the boer goats. 7.Ask your local veternary docs. 8.Local Veternary docs knows more about it.As bannur is you local breed. 9.For sheeps its about 2-3kg of green fodder and half kg of dry fodder depending on body size. 10.You can give pulp of any grains,pulses,groudnut flakes.Etc 11.Depending on land available 12.20-30 sheeps in 1 pen 13.Yes pens are necessary for lamb flattening. 14. U can get atleast 1 ton of maize from an acre. 15.Fresh cut grass is necessary to achieve more weight in less time. 16.15-20 acres of land for 500 sheeps in a year.

Dear Abrar,
My Brother wants to start a goat farm and we have no clue of how to go about this, could you please share your contact number with me so that i can get an idea of how to go about this.

Regards
Assad Adam

For more information on goat farming please visit my thread
https://discuss.farmnest.com/t/goat-farm-solutions/
Regards,
DR.Shaikh
Email:contact@goatfarm.co.in
www.goatfarm.co.in
www.goatfarming.net

Hi Abrar,

Since this is a very old thread. I am sure that by now you would have procured all your goats and started a fully functional goat farm. The images of the shed looks very impressive.

1. Can you let me know how much would it cost for a shed of your size 50*30.
  2. Can you also share some plans (drawings) of the same for the benefit of all in this forum.

Regards,
agri_lover

Dear members,

I have come here today to seek some proper guidance regarding the establishment of Sheep/Goat farm. I have an unfinished Sheep Farm near Bangalore, Karnataka. I have personally visited some farms, spoke to few people but was not quite satisfied with what I saw or heard. As I have completed my studies from U.S.A and moved back to India only a few years ago, I lack proper exposure to Sheep/Goat Business. So I kindly request all those experts in this field of business to please help me out to complete my Sheep Project.

If someone could help me out in clearing a few doubts of mine, I would really appreciate that.

-I have completed the construction of Sheds.
-I have constructed 3 Sheds (50ft x 30ft each)
-Silage pits have been dug.

1. What are the legal requirements for this business?
  2. Insurance needed? if so, who provides and the cost details.
  3. Intensive or Semi Intensive farming? (land limited)
  4. Can only Lamb Fattening be a viable business option without breeding?
  5. How is the breed Bannur? (Only meat purpose, Bangalore market)
  6. Any other reliable good breeds for meat purpose? (Bangalore market)
  7. Is Bannur suitable for Intensive Farming?
  8. Nutrition requirements of Bannur?
  9. How much Feed/Maize/Lucerne requirement per day/per sheep?
  10. Apart from Maize and Lucerne what else could be fed to sheeps?
  11. How to make pens?
  12. How many sheeps in one pen?
  13. Are pens really required in Lamb Fattening?
  14. How much maize could be harvested from one Acre?
  15. Fresh cut grass required or just silage will do?
  16. How many acres of maize/lucerne needed for 500 Bannur sheeps?

If someone could take the pains of answering to these above questions, I would be really thankful to them! Patiently waiting.

Regards,
Abrar Ahmed.

For more details visit my website- http://goatfarm.co.in/goat-farm-project-report/