Dear Forum Members
We purchased a 30 acre mango farm near Gajapathinagaram in Vizianagaram district of Andhra Pradesh in 2010(75 Kms from Vizag).
Brief overview of the Farm -
- Of the 30 acres, 22 acres have mango trees and the rest is left unutilised
- Approximately 500 trees
- Mango varieties are Banginapalli, Suvarnareka, Pariya etc.
- Average tree life is 30-35 years and yield is just ok, though i do not have the exact numbers
- Soil is very good (red soil kind of) no borewell exists, just a small hand pump
- Ground Water table is also good in that area
- Me and my dad are currently employed and do not have the time to nurture our farm, hence the yearly crop is being outsourced for 1.5 to 2.5 Lakhs to a local buyer
- Since my dad would be retiring in October 2016, we have decided invest our time and energy on this 30 acre farm to get decent returns
My Objective -
- To produce high quality, tasty and fresh mangoes that are free from harmful chemicals
- Plan to have only 1 variety of Mango - BANGINAPALLI (for ease of marketing)
- Plan to go for tree grafting
- Remaining 8 acres will be used for short term crops (vegetables)
I would sincerely request you to share your thoughts on what would be the best approach to this situation. Appreciate your time!!