About Mice Farming

Hello everyone,

I want to know everything about Mice farming in India. If anyone know please do share the details. Thank you

Mice farming, the first time I am hearing. :astonished:

Dear Dr Chandra sir, me too hearing first time. Very interesting and surprising.

g.p.rao, farmer

I presume the mice are for supply to laboratories for experiments.

Sir,
You dont need to do any efforts, they are already multiplying at alarming rates on their own. Visit any granary or food godowns, you will find enough.
The owner might even pay you for removal, I would.
:slight_smile:.

Nikhil

Yes, its for laboratories purpose only.

Mice are also reared and breeded for the purpose of snake feeding.
You can start with 2-3 females and a male in one cage.
As the gestation period is only about 3 weeks and they can have up to 8 babies at a time starting small can help.
But the biggest difficulty you will get is marketing.
So start by contacting some firms about their requirement, it will also help you to choose the breed.

About Mice

The weight of mouse is 20g – 90g (males weigh more), temperature around 37,1°C, heartbeat 480-740 in a minute, amount of blood is 7,6% of overall weight of mouse and number of litter 8 – 12 per year.
Mice are really active, adventurous and curious animals. They are calm and like sleeping during a day, while in the evening and at night are more active. They move or run approximately 21% of a day, 45% of a day they sleep, 12% feed or drink and 16% spend by care about their hair (serviceable behavior). Mice are excellent climbers and they can jump very high.
Excepting few cases mice never bite their breeder. On the one hand it is not possible to domesticate them as well as rats, which can obey us like dogs and we dot not have to watch over them. But on the other hand they do not demand so much daily attention during the training and in spite of that you can learn them to run on your arm, in your sleeve or you can carry them in your pocket. And if you watch over them, you can let them run on your bed for example.

Color spectra of laboratory mouse

Aguti – there are alternatively light and dark colored strips on every single hair.
White mouse with red eyes – the most common kind, foot and nose are in flesh color.
White mouse with dark eyes – hair is clear white, foots are pink and eyes are black.
Black – glossy, dark black color of hair, mouse is black, only belly is lighter.
Chocolate – chocolate brown hair, but foots, eyes, ears and tail are dark brown.
Blue – dark blue hair, belly is quite dead blue, eyes are really dark blue.
Creamy – creamed-colored mice have soft hair of ivory color and dark eyes.
Tawny – bottom part of mouse is light, while top part is dark.
Spotted – spots are set over whole body and they should not overlap, colors are various.

Breeding Establishment

There are more options where to breed mice. One of them is using normal cages. The only thing you need to be aware of is a distance between every single wire of the cage. It should not be less than 6mm. Cages are really good for mice because they enable climbing, but on the other hand mice can throw the bedding out through it.
Next option can be plastic basin (laboratory basin T4). This basin is made from tough material so mice cannot bite their way out. There is a netting wire on the top of basin (you have to ensure that mice cannot get out through it). Very useful can be old aquarium with suitable top, on the other hand glasses or wooden boxes are really bad options.
Temperature inside the breeding room should be around 21°C, but generally is possible to say – if the breeder feels comfortably, his mouse feels comfortably as well.

Feed for laboratory mouse

Mouse is omnivore. Commercial food for rodents contains everything what mouse needs (animal as well as plant components).
It is possible to feed mice by cereals (oat, barley, millet, maize), sunflower, oatflakes, old bread, various granules (for cats), etc. Occasionally we can give them fresh vegetable (carrot, parsley, celery, lettuce, kohlrabi,…) and fruit (apple, pear). But remember, too much green feed can cause them intestinal problems. In addition it is more than vital to reduce very fatty feed like nuts or sunflower’s seeds. Average daily introsusception of one mouse is only 10g per day. Automatic water-basin or shallow saucer with water is necessary for drinking, but remember that saucer can be overturned or polluted.

Mice Cage

Thank yo Pratik sir for your information. Do you know the marketing or are their any marketing consultancy on India. ?

I dont know any specific marketing consultancies for mice farming.
You should contact nearby medical/pharmaceutical companies for their demand also go to some zoos which have snakes.