5Hp & 4Hp Solar Borewell Water Pumping @ Hosur

Dear All,

Here is the link to the video of our another recent solar water pumping system installation;

youtu.be/LJ4y5FdxauI

[glow=red,2,300]Project Capacity: 5Hp & 4Hp[/glow]
[glow=green,2,300]
Type of pump: 5Hp 3phase V6 Borewell Submersible Pump & 4Hp 3phase Borewell Submersible Pump
Total Area in acres: 10 acres
Type of Application: Pumping from borewell to farm pond & from farm pond to drip lines
Bore Depth: 5hp erected at 550ft, 4hp erected at 450ft
Distance between Borewell and Solar Panel: 150m to each borewell
Distance between Borewell and storage tank: 150m from each borewell
Peak Discharge: 65LPM & 50Lpm (Low discharge models chosen due to low bore yield)
Avg Start Time: 7.30AM
Avg Stop Time: 5.30PM
Type of Panels: 5000Watts Monocrystalline Application Class A Panels
Pump Controller: 3phase VFD with MPPT & Harmonic Filter
Mounting: Fixed[/glow]

This project is developed after understanding the water requirement of the customer, who wanted to drip irrigate 10 acres of land.

The water from borewell is pumped to the farm pond using 5hp pump or 4hp pump. And the 7.5hp pump in the pond pumps water @ 38m head to the drip lines.This site is also supplied with 2 street lights of 9 w each, with individual charge controller and solar C10 rated batteries and supplied with a 250W monocrystalline panel and MPPT smart charge controller with PCU function as a retrofit to his existing inverter and battery setup.

The video upload is of the 4hp borewell motor.

The first few seconds shows the frequency i.e 50Hz, pump current drawn 7.6A, Motor Voltage 360V i.e 100% full rated performance at 11:30Am time stamp.

Hope you enjoy seeing the video.

Regards.

it would be great if you can share the cost of project, it can helpful to evaluate affordability for this project setup.
let us know if any subsidy can claim for any.

-Regards
Bhuvan

Dear Mr.Bhuvan,

Thank you for the response.

Cost of solar water pumping system would depend on the system design which again is based on specific user requirements.

First is motor sizing based on irrigation requirement and available water source details and design would be based on the motor’s electrical parameters namely voltage, current, rated rpm & HP.

Each and every other site differs, so would the cost.

Please email me your specific requirement and I shall for sure revert with our best.

Regards.

Actually there exists a subsidy on solar pumps up to 75% for 2 H.P.solar water pump in most of the states including most corrupt Uttar Pradesh.50% subsidy is applicable for 5 H.p water pumps.Keeping in view above please guide as to what should be the boring pipes’ size i.e. 2 inches or more.In case a farmer has to cultivate 5 Acres which pump set is better 2H.P.or 5 H.p In case it is connected to drip irrigation system,how much water should be taken out per day from ground water for a 5 Acres plot.Regarding 2 H.P. pump it is meant for small farmers owning 2-3 acres.Pl let me know the quantum of water such pump can store in farm pond and subsequently send it to overhead tank for irrigation of 2-3 acres plot.True professional only should come forward,to make the things crystal clear.We find friends fumbling with various alibis and beating around the bush for their ignorance or for their greed on this topic.

Hello,

There is a lot to be answered for what you have enquired in a nutshell.

But to start with;

Sizing the pump in case of solar:

In case of openwell water pumping: Depends on

Suction head
Cumulative water requirement per day
No of running hrs

In case of borewell water pumping: Depends on

Total Dynamic Head
Bore Yield
Bore Dia
Water Table
Bore Depth
Cumulative water requirement per day
Flood or Drip irrigation
No of running hrs

Let us take the cases;

Case 1: Farmer has a “A” ft deep tank and wants to irrigate his "B"acres field with “C” litres of water per day.

The motor capacity would depend on "D"vertical lift (A + Vertical Lift across total horizontal distance), runtime “E” hrs & C.

The farmer in this case would need to select the motor that can pump C LPD @ D in E hrs. Meaning without D,E & C, he/she would not decide if 2Hp would suffice or 5hp would be required.

Case 2:Farmer has a “A” ft deep borewell and wants to irrigate his "B"acres field with “C” litres of water per day stored in a tank.

The motor that pumps water from borewell to tank would be sized based on Total Dynamic head “D” matching boreyield “E” in runtime “F” hrs.

The farmer in this case would need to select the motor that can pump C LPD @ D within E in F hrs to fill the tank.

From tank to irrigation he need to follow case 1.

Hope this helps.

Also,

I am not quite certain I follow you, most states offer upto 80% subsidy but then for solar water “heaters” and not against solar water pumps as far as my knowledge goes.It would be great if you can share such GO or circular stating the same, for the benefit of our members here.

Please note that the solar water pumping schemes would always state that X% subsidy or subject to Rs.“Y” whichever is minimum and not just X%

Regards.

At least I need to know what kind of budgetary arrangement is required to go for this kind of project. The next question is is it economical. What about the space required for the Solar panels. Now a days each square feet precious.
We need your highlight on these.
Thanks
VDN

Dear Mr.VDN

Cost of solar water pumping system would depend on the system design which again is based on specific user requirements.

First is motor sizing based on irrigation requirement and available water source details and design would be based on the motor’s electrical parameters namely voltage, current, rated rpm & HP.

Each and every other site differs, so would the cost.

Please email me your specific requirement and I shall for sure revert with our best.

Coming to your queries;

Is it Economical?

Solar water pumping is viable only if;

A)Cost of getting a new power line is extremely difficult or costly
B)If you pay for electricity
C)If existing power line is erratic in supply

Space required?

Thumb rule is 100sft per Kw of solar panels. It could be less or more in actuals depending on system configuration.

Regards.

Questions :

1. How to prevent panels from getting stolen(can be stolen not for selling it, but to cause trouble)
  2. Can we install on top of farm house if roof is RCC?

Hi Sri,

Thank you for the message.

1)Theft
This is almost the apprehension that most of our clients have and ask us, trust me it is not as easy as to remove/disconnect the panels, unless the person is a qualified solar installer. But a guy can randomly cut the wires if the intention is to screw up the system and not for reselling.

But FYI,

A)Each solar panels would have 4 mounting 7mm holes that would be mounted to the structure with M6 fastners.So if its a 3hp system one has to unbolt 30 panels * 4 holes = 120bolts, if 5hp system one would need to unbolt 80 bolts & if its a 7.5hp system one has to unbolt 160 bolts and so on
B)Each panel would be connected with a lockable solar connector (pic attached) that wire individual panels

But even after this if one needs protection;

• We can electric or solar fence the perimeter
  • Run a line through all panels with motion detector
  • Elevate the structure
  • Insure the system

Trust me I tell this to every customer that, probably you know a bit about solar, but not the thief. He/she is afterall a human being caring for one’s own life. The fear of unknown would keep them away, and its keeping them at bay in our experience.

2)Mounting

Yes absolutely we can mount on a farmhouse RCC roof as long as the dimensions of the RCC floor allows us to accommodate the no of panels, which again would be requirement specific.

Regards,

Any new updates on this topic? There was some news in the 2018 budget about subsidies for Solar pumps for agriculture. Has anyone on the forum installed one in recent months?

From a conversation with a vendor, the current price seems to be in the region of Rs 75,000 per HP. This is just the Solar electrical cost, not including the pump, plumbing, mounting etc. No ideas about subsidy available.