Why is shelflife of Natural/Organic produce more

Dear All,

Read at many places about Organic/Natural way of cultivation increasing the shelf life of a produce?
Pachagavya application increasing shelf life by 10 days : agritech.tnau.ac.in/org_farm/org … kavya.html
Is this because the way in which the produce is getting created/constructed naturally ? Or there something in the cow urine that causes this ?

Thanks,
Seshu

Topic line is short but the matter is very deep.

Every fruit has its own shelf life in its gene.  When we use chemicals or make it hybrid we are genetically modifying few properties, not all.

For example if you want a long pillar, You may increase only length without increasing the thickness or girth of the pillar, it wont be strong.

Likewise the imunity of a fruit is enoguh when it is naturallt grown, when you try to increase the size of the fruit, you must increase imunity also proportionately. (Imunity is the strength to keep away fungus on the fruit skin.)

When you treat a mango with Go  muthra you are adding imunity, thus the longer shelflife.

I am not sure how clear is my explaination. If not clear, ask more questions.

Dear Sri Sir, upto my knowledge you are very much right. I have observed in my Papaya field during 2006, which was grown in organic way. Fruits were with very dark, bright and with very attractive colour. Sweetnes was increased considerably with good aroma and keeping quality was appreciated by the traders.                                                                                                                                                                                              In Bangalore Blue grapes, the sweetness was very good with good keeping quality. Originally,the Bangalore Blue variety Grapes will have little sourness, but in organically grown it was nil rather.                                                                                                                                                                                                In Spray Roses grown in combination of Organic and In-organic ( only pesticides spray and and selected fertilisers ), way also, we found that the Rose colours were very bright and the keeping quality is very good along with good crispyness in the flowers.                                                                                                                                                                                              In Sapota, It is found that the fruit can be comfortably eaten with skin as it is ( only rubbed with a cloth on the top and washed ), and keeping quality and aroma were diffarent,very attractive.                                                                                                                                                                                            These were not only my observations but real feed backs came from markets and known customers. Undoubtedly there is some thing in Organic farming and we should be sincere in doing. Lot of future, which is very bright in coming days.                                                                                                                                                                                                    I I want to explain my experience in Red lady Papaya ( 786 of Known you seed co.) farming. It is found that around 18 plants were found affected by Ring spot virus on Papaya fruits in 2006,10 months after plantation, and Sri Ramesh sir told me to apply Cow urine @ 10 ml per ltr water and sprayed along with 5 ml neem oil per ltr same water and I applied and got good crop for long time and the virus was not spread to other plants and existing as it is on the said plants with out harming.                                                                                                                                                                                                Ofcourse ,these are our observations, and Authorities on Horticulture should do investigation/research on these issues. Let us hope the best and I decided that I don’t leave organic farming though it is a bit costly.                                                                                                                                                                                                    g.p.rao  , farmer

Sri, Thanks for considering to answer this.

1. Does this mean the chemical fertilizers are just blowing up the size of say mango and the tissue formation within the mango is having some deficiency ? Means its still called a mango but it lacks something that natural mango has got ?
  2. Or the Organic/naturla farming mixtures(Panchagavya/Jeevamrutha) have inherent benefits(like immunue) something in it that is leading this benefit of shelf life(of produce) to farmer ?

Well TNAU(premier university) says that its benefit of panchagavya.

Increase in shelf life, how does it benefit the end consumer, does it have more ant-oxidants which is causing them to decay slowly?

Thanks,
Seshu

1. Yes. How a steroid or a growth harmone affects human so does the checmical fertilisers on fruits.
    Secondly fruits used with ripening agent makes the fruit ripe more faster. if the fruit is naturally grown and harvested with natural treatments like gomutra bath,lime bath, will have slow and steady ripening effect. Rate of ripening is also directly influences shelf life.

In my last post I was mentioning about fungus, any fruit will have fungus accumulation near petiole. This can be avoided in go mutra and lime solution immersion and drying fruit in shade.
In chemical farming the spray will be stopped a week before harvesting. This span is engough for fungii to populate. This is also one more point in diminishing of shelf life. Even panch gavya does this job.

Summary:
1.Fruits treated with artificial ripening agents has shorter shelf life. (post harvesting)
2.The nutrient used by plant for ripening is imbalanced in chemical fertiliser method This imbalace decreases shelf life of fruit.(pre harvesting)
3.Every fruit will have natural preseravative within it. If we make fruit blow up, the natural preservative will not be sufficient for blown up volume of fruit, because the original genetical property is changed only to blow up the fruit not the natural preservative.

A farmer explains how the shelf life of the produce can be increased by spraying a composition, he calls it 'Saptaankura’
It is made by grinding the sprouts of 7 whole grains/seeds, making a juice from it and spraying this on plantations 2-3 weeks before harvesting.
He did not mention about the 7 types of grains/seeds. He can be reachable at 94407 03030.
More information can be found by watching the programme called ‘Bhoomi Putra’ telecast in MAA TV this Saturday (27th April) morning, this video will be uploaded to YouTube in couple of days.

this is true. naturally grown produce has extended shelf life.

check the attach image. It is a normal cucumber and not golden cucumber. I could easily store it for almost 7 months. It would easily stay for a year(provided you don’t mishandle it). I left it to mature and ripen on the wine itself last year in the monsoon.

As mentioned by Sri shelf life of vegetables and fruits depends on its genes and other factors.

It also depends on how naturally and peacefully it grows and attains all what is required to reproduce its species.
It is a normal site to see pumpkin and golden cucumber split open in Kerala fields because of excessive fertilization, forget about the shelf life, it is just going to spoil in a day or 2.

Cows urine plays a vital role as well. Few months back a ripe leaf fell into a bucket full of cows urine. Amazingly after staying in the urine for more than 2 months nothing happened to the leaf. It was exactly same as it was on the first day when it fell in the urine.
I understand that there is no reaction in clean and clear cows urine(Can someone shed light on this part). 

Dear Sri Anoop,
My complements to you sir. Your attitude towards innovation is appreciated. Please keep sharing your findings frequently.

Gomutra is the natural source of all microrgonsims like Trichoderma,beauveria bassiana, bacteria subtilis,bacteria thuringiensis, mycorrhiza, metarhizium anisopliae. All these are either poision for pests,fungii or repellent.

These gets generated only in the body of a desi cow. The population of micro organism in 1gm dung=300 to 500 crores. The cow must be low milk yeilding and should be grazed in a jungle.

Dear Sri,

Thank you. Sure I will keep posting as and when I get time.

Thank you for the information.

I at times consume cows urine, it works wonder for cough. Just after consuming fresh cows urine, cough expels automatically in few minutes.

It feels somewhat like consuming whisky however end result is same as amla. Throat has a cooling effect, digestion also improves.

anoop

I have experienced that naturally grown fruits have longer shelf life and observed the below:

Their skins are thin, thereby allowing the fruit inside to ripen quicker relative to fruits that have thicker skins

Their skin to fruit space is less, almost no air in between. I have seen it in natural Banana, Mango.  It takes more effort to peel off the skin compared to unnaturally grown/unnaturally ripened fruits.  It appears this reduces micro organism growth and attack within fruit.

They ripe quickly.  Though outer skin seems still semi-green/semi-yellow, inner fruit is almost ready to eat - you can tell it by touching it and actually eating the inner fruit.  I have experienced it in Mango.  My take is most fruit liking pests get defeated by this nature of natural produce thereby increasing its keeping quality

The fruits yield early.  This season, when I was yet to see rasapuri mangoes in market, my rasapuri variety tree was already yielding delicious fruits

I am no expert to accurately determine chemically/botanically the cause for better shelf life, please validate my experience with yours.

Thanks.

Thank u Sri Sir for this wonderful info. Can you please name some desi breeds in India which would fit into the specification of ‘low milk yielding’ cow. Would Gir breed of Gujarat also come into this category?
Also if you can enlighten me that will a cow, living in (for example) Gir forest be able to adapt itself in a place close to sea? Will the cow have difficulty in adapting to a newer environment? Would the quality of milk, urine and dung also change?