Why has hydroponics not really caught on in India?

Great discussion all, keep it going.

With the mod hat on however, this topic has the potential to go explosive and I want to remind everyone with no particular reference to anyone - please keep personal passions and judgements away from the discussion and just focus on facts, logic and opinions. End of the day, everyone here is part of the Indian farming community and we are just discussing different methods of farming.

Thanks!

I don’t possess great knowledge like many other members here have but from my POV I’ve some thoughts that I have put forward.

As I already said, these systems can be fully or partially run on alternate energy sources. But unless it goes main stream or atleast becomes popular, I don’t think the suppliers or manufacturers would offer better alternate energy solutions as it becomes unfeasible for them.

Dear Atul & Cowherd,

Keep it going . We are just getting our feet wet in farming activities . But the point is being from Engg background, some how keeps us skeptical on many issues both on Organic & Hydroponics. Organic being natural takes a lot of time and patience to get a foot hold and has some very complex interactions between various plants & organisms and Hydroponics / NPK method is instantaneous. like a bandaid. on the spot.

But as cowherd has pointed out in his various other threads, one can see the nature at play when one sees the western ghats. Kilometers and kilometers of forests. No care for the type of soils, its physical structure, its pH etc etc. Uniform coverage except over peaks. Only external input being monsoon rains, Tons and tons of that.

Me being an hard core trekker, have seen sometimes deep inside the forest, it appears that plants can even thrive without sunlight. That is what it appears to us when we see the thick vegetation where the canopy is covered by mature trees, yet at the bottom new ones are taking a strong foot hold !!. No tilling, no planting of seeds etc. Even small ones have their roots deep inside. These are the small plants that we use to haul ourselves up on slopes. Strange are natures ways.

Cowherd, since you are practicing organic farming, one input from your side. Have you observed as soon as plants get fresh rain water the growth one can see is stunning. On the forest front one can see the magic on large scale.

Based on your experiences and experiments can you explain what is that this rain water has. I have seen no amount of watering can produce this effect. The effect of rain water on vegetation.

My vague point (again from enng background) is that may be the high voltage discharges (in excess of million volts )from cloud to cloud must be breaking down the inert Nitrogen into some complex nitro compounds and a large amount of O2 getting dissolved in the moisture. This mixture on the foliage of the plants must be doing some magic. Because on the roots most of the water runs off !! Your thoughts on this would be more educative. May be you can start off a separate thread on this.

Regards

Murali

Hi everyone,

As Chandra says this is getting explosive. I am really not interested in arguing for the sake of it and especially with someone who has a close mindset. I was never a farmer nor I started with an idea to save planet earth or framers from extinction. All I wanted was to start a profitable business which I can proudly showcase and be extremely sure that it’s output is beneficial for consumers, producers, economy and the environment. Just being a a good corporate citizen.

Those who do not agree today will find out sooner or later who is right or wrong.

Though before I sign off, let me throw a challenge out here. Generate 1 crore plus Agri produce sales from 1 acre of land every year, Can you do it? Don’t care what growing technology you use…just show it.

I know and I am quite certain that there will be no one in this entire India who could even dream of it before I do it. We will then discuss Hydroponics or Organic.

You may wonder what’s the purpose or is it just a show off? No the real reason is that this achievement when accomplished will put to rest all such critics of hydroponics and will allow serious people to go for it rather than get caught up in debates where logic is not a criteria.

So do wish me luck. :slight_smile:

Dear Atul,

Keeping apart the usual mindset, do keep us posted on your other extpts. Out there you are the only guy who is rich in Hydroponics experience. So please do not log off so early.

Sure mine and others support is out there for you. Wish you all the best in your Agri business. Our wishes to you to become one more Fukuoka of Hydroponics.

Once again, since you have the technology at hand, kindly carryout some expts on Banana plants and other hard core timber plants to see if there is any acceleration in their growth.

We need you to prove who is right. But one thing is for sure, the lettuce and other leafy veggies look too good and healthy under Hydroponics.

Regards

Murali

I always believe the uniqueness of Indian thinking is to comfortably entertain completely contrasting ideas and this topic should be no different. Often the conflict arises when we begin to look for only one right solution. To me, all the above seems good discussion and not argument.

@atul,
As I see it, no one has contested that hydroponics produces significantly higher yields and may make much better business sense when managed as a business - so I guess no one would take your challenge :wink:. Good luck to you and your further inputs and updates are most welcome if you don’t mind sharing.

The question around output quality is much more difficult to get to a clear determination. Personally, I believe our understanding of the dynamics of nature is minuscule today though we are slowly chipping at it. prasham raises an interesting point on integrated energy management in hydroponics - personally I would be quite interested to understand how it works, its efficiency and economics.

Thanks,
Chandra

Hi everyone,

Of course I am going to be around and I will be initiating various projects on commercial grounds. It will be in deed my pleasure to keep you all posted on the various achievements which can be replicated, scientifically tested and profitable.

There will always be skeptics. For the rest let’s hope we build an eco system which will allow them to blossom and take the new ideas and bring them to reality.

Edited by moderator.

Hi Atul,
I really adore your passion for hydroponics and it is quite evident that you have done good amount of reasearch into it. I have been exploring hydroponics for last few months and have seen very few people in India having knowledge about it. Anyways, inspired from your confidence, I am seriously thinking about it as a commercial project and intend to start it within next three months.
Have seen people in Netherland, USA, Israel etc already reaping huge benefits from hydroponics, why should Indians be left behind, especially when this technology can really help us not only grow more, but even better quality.
I am all up for it and request you to kindly continue writing on this Forum.
Warmest, deepak

Dear Friends,

Wishing the fellow-farmer all the best for his venture.

Only disappointed that the discussion ended up laying an egg. The last thing that I would look forward to, is any form of bitterness; neither do I wish to stand in the way of knowledge-seekers of hydroponics in this forum.

But do wish that folks, at least for their own sake, do the required homework before rushing into challenges and proclaiming themselves to be first in the country. The one crore plus from one acre has already been achieved, years ago. The few that come to mind - the vanilla growers have already hit that benchmark. There are others too, that one wouldn’t even be aware of like the premium Darjeeling tea that the of the British Royalty drinks, or the finest Darjeeling teas that cost a bomb in the auctions.

thanks and best regards
cowherd

what did i miss?

my two pence: till i do not see the detail financial numbers/analysis from a few live operations, I will not commit an investment.

Well… There is another point that I am not quite sure, has been considered…

When we are talking of hydroponics, it excludes soil as the medium…

Consider these

1. When soil is used for cultivation and the amount of chemicals being used, over a period of time, fertility becomes an issue.
  2. Constant watering is required and unless it is a scientific method/drip irrigation, quantity of water to be used is always a question. Constant watering leads to erosion of the soil and fertility of the land is lost in the long run.

We are currently at an infant stage of Hydroponics and it will take some time for the technology to come to India.

There are some interesting videos of some of the cultivations.

1. youtube.com/watch?v=FHBhyqowSEc

Hi?
Any adults grown from infant stage in the subject matter?
Apart from Atul, has any one achieved something better than conventional method?
Specifically those who are in big cities and love to do agriculture activity without leaving city might done something.
Can success people in Hydroponics please come up with your journey, experience and achievements please.

Hey,

I am from Chennai,India. I came across Hydroponics a month ago and gave it a thought. I made a Ebb & Flow system at home with 5 buckets. Due to initial errors and equipments, i spent 4000-5000 for everything i needed. I planted Broad beans and it grows well. Now, If i say why it isn’t caught up in india there may be few main reasons.

1. A 5 pot system grows 5 plants and same 5 pots with soil does the same. Due to initial errors, The hydroponic growth is affected and malfunctioned. So i had immediate effect on the plants. So, such large scale productions with hydroponics requires proper knowledge and educated professionals to manage and run the process. - No one is interested to partner a farmer these days.

2. Supplies - There is nearly no one providing proven quality of Nutrients in india. We have to import and the cost of it is expensive. Other construction systems also not provided by any infrastructure facilities.

3. Architecture - The main requirement of a hydroponic farm is architecture. We simply cant keep buckets and reservoirs and pump it up. We need Experienced professionals guiding on architecture of Farms.

4. Labor - Hydroponic requires less labor but educated or experienced. In general agriculture, people clean the weeds, harvest the plants and like quite a large group of farmers and villagers work on there. here again we need training and consistent guidance.

overall, A educated group of youngsters can start a venture providing hydroponic facilities and farming.

In india, Some parts of agriculture depends on water sources like rivers and dams. Many other farms depends on rain. Here in tamilnadu, Dams are draining and there is no adequate rain. Farming is reduced and Real estates are growing up. Farmers get huge value of money selling their lands for construction companies than farming for a lifetime.

I am feeling excited with my success with the first Ebb system, I am going to go for larger systems and will update you guys. will update the pics tonight.

Thank you.

You have the Answers here and if you guys have any further doubts message me or raise a reply in my thread

farmnest.com/forum/new-trends-in … y-project/

Nutrients can be made in India :slight_smile: why Import and burn when u can make one here …

goutham