Wanted native rice seeds

Hi !

I need native rice seeds for clay soil / tropical area maturing in around 120 days .
Please quote the name of the variety and rate with details of remittance.

Boovarahan S

Sir,

I am sure that you would have heard about ‘Pasumai Vikatan’ - a fortnightly magazine on farming. They have a classified section, in which farmers from different areas advertise on what they want to sell / buy. You may want to try that.

Regards
Jayakumar

Dear varaahan,

Please contact CIKS and the URL is ciks.org/index.htm

Best of Luck!!!

Regards
padmanabhan_ganesan@yahoo.co.in

1 Like

Hi !

Already I have contacted ciks office at chennai and chengalpat by email / phone and submitted a written request too to their chengalpat office but so far I have not received any response.

And I have contacted a few farmers over phone but the results are zero though everybody promises to send me the seeds , in practice I have not received any. And I have offered them to send money in advance to cover all expenses .

Let me try through Pasumai Vikatan now.

Thanks.

Dear Mr. Varaahan,

I just checked the 25 Feb 2011 edition of Pasumai Vikatan and found an article that would help you. I read about a trust called ‘Vaanjai Arakattalai’ and its director Mr. Mohanraj. He could help you get native rice seeds. his cell number (as given in the article) is 94430-14897. Please try to reach him.

Also where do you have your farm? Near Chennai?

Regards
Jayakumar

Thanks a lot JK !

I contacted Mr Mohanraj and had a discussion for about 15 minutes.

He has promised me to provide native rice seeds by next month.

My farm is in Periyamarai village in Ariyalur district (about 29 cents).
My first crop was ADT 43 rice and I had 7 bags (without any fertiliser / pesticides).

Now I am on the look out for natural varieties .
I practice no chemical farming as they are injurious to our health.

I reside in Chennai and frequently visit my village for farming activities.

Thanks again for your help.

Great sir. I am happy that you got what you wanted.

I think you are employed in Chennai. How do you manage both? Do you have any caretakers at village to take care of the farm? You all are inspiring me and making more so convinced that I should get into farming.

Let us keep in touch. I am in the look out of agri lands for purchase. I have spoken to some people and let you know when I buy. I shall take your guidance before I start.

It is good to know that you practice ‘no chemical’ farming. I have already purchased some books from Mr. Palekar, who is a pioneer in that. Some farmers feel that his zero budget farming is only good on paper. Some feel that it is practically possible and the best way. Need to experience these.

Good luck, sir!

Dear JK !
Normally I go to my village once in a fortnight to see my farm.
Since is the area is small , it is easily manageable.

I do have a caretaker there who looks after the watering.

Subash Palekar’s methods are practical and sure to succeed provided you follow the idea in full.
I have attended a 3 day seminar presided over by him on ZBF .

Currently I am interested in Masanobu Fukuoka’s "no till - do nothing " farming.
And I am going to try this now starting with Ulundhu as cover crop.

When I started no chemical farming my villagers termed as “crack” but I got about seven bags of rice of good quality and they are now silent.

So you should have much mental courage to field the comments and brick bats from fellow farmers who never want to get out of the routine chemical farming.
I wish you all success in your farming efforts.

Good luck.

Sir,

Can you please tell me what you did for the "no-chemical’ farming? Did you use all those techniques that Mr. Palekar had put forth? Jeewamrutha, Live Mulching, etc?

May I request you to allow me to visit your farm? If you have plans to go to your village next time, please let me know.

Thanks
Jay

JK!

My last experiment was just a transit method to natural farming.
The process I adopted was as follows:

1. Placed a few urea bags and poured soil on the bages to a height of about 3 inches.
  2. Sprayed water to make the soil wet but not muddy.
  3. Sprayed soaked paddy seeds on this wet soil.
  4. Spread a little straw to cover the seeds to protect them from chicken / birds and direct sunlight.
  5. Sprayed a little water twice everyday (morning and evening).
  6. On the 21 st day took the seedling along with the urea bags to the main fileld which was wet tilled the previous day.
  7. Transplanted the seedlings at one seedling per foot interval.
    8.After 3 days’ gap flooded the field.
  8. Manual weeding was done twice during the tenure of the crops.
  9. After the initial 3 time watering , the monsoon started and there was no need for watering till the end.
  10. Just ten days before harvest watering was done just once.
  11. No kind of fertliser / pesticieds were applied.
  12. No mulching was done , no Jeevamrutha etc. but had I done them that could have been better.

The produce output was 6 bags of paddy for 100 kuzhis (30 cents of land).
At present I have scattered black gram seeds in the wet field and scattered rice straw over them.
And waiting to see the outcome by next week.

I intend to start by 21 st night and reach my village by 22 nd of this month to monitor the progress.

Dear varaahan,

If you can click some snaps, that will be fabulous!

Unfortunately I was not present during the seeding and transplanting times.
But I do have a few snaps of the grown crops whcih I have attached now.
These were taken with my cellphone camera.

The second picture is a replacemnet.

Hello
Kindly contact me at sangtamchune70@gmail.com. Let us talk more about business.
I will invite you to my farm located at Bangalore. We will talk more and you can buy your Native rice seeds.
Thanks
Mr. Sangtam Chune