This farmer earns Rs. 22 lakh a year from 2.1 acres of land

hindu.com/2010/04/19/stories … 350500.htm

BANGALORE: At a time when there is a strong perception that farming is not a profitable venture, this farmer from Tapasihalli in Doddaballapur taluk has created waves by earning a profit of about Rs. 22 lakh a year from merely 2.1 acres of land.

It is his innovative drive and constant experimentation with multi-cropping methods that have helped 51-year-old H. Sadananda to reap a rich harvest.

He cultivates nearly 30 varieties of crop on his land, including tomato and areca on half an acre each which yield him Rs. 2 lakh and Rs. 50,000 respectively.

Ginger is cultivated along with areca in the plantation, and it yields him about Rs. 70,000 a year. Mr. Sadananda has also made space in his areca plantation for rearing 250 Giriraja hens which he sells every three months to earn about Rs. 1 lakh a year. The poultry droppings are valuable manure for the areca plantation while agricultural waste is used as feed for the birds.

He has planted about 2,000 rose cuttings on three-fourth of an acre, which fetches him about Rs. 4 lakh a year, and has set up a greenhouse on one-fourth of an acre for cultivating capsicum and high-quality rose alternatively. Capsicum, cultivated for about six months, yields him about Rs. 5.4 lakh while the rose variety that replaces capsicum for the next six months gets him about Rs. 2.5 lakh a year. A small vegetable garden, a fish-rearing pond, coconut and jackfruit trees on the periphery of his land, in addition to coffee plants, papaya, sapota and lime trees also find a place. His cows produce 80 to 100 litres of milk a day.

Manure

Manure comes from vermicompost and the slurry from a gobar gas plant. A tiny pond is filled with azolla plants which is a good cow feed.

Mr. Sadananda, who depends on borewell for irrigation, has installed drip irrigation system for the entire land at a cost of Rs. 50,000 (excluding subsidy). “Drip irrigation allows me to irrigate my entire land even with four hours of three-phase power,” he says. Besides, it prevents weeds and also saves him about Rs. 400 a day in labour costs.

Interestingly, he also breeds Rottweiler and Great Dane breeds of dogs to earn Rs. 1.2 lakh a year.

He has been honoured with prestigious awards by the Union Ministry of Agriculture. Several agricultural scientists, farmers and VIPs from India and abroad visit his farm.

Innovative ideas

Mr. Sadananda says that his farm income increased after he adopted innovative ideas provided by the Department of Biotechnology’s Bio-Resource Complex project taken up in his village. He can be contacted on 9342022146.

6 Likes

Quite inspiring, hopefully this is something that can be replicated fairly easily.

True, I went to his farm in outskirts of Bangalore.
The farm setup was same as mentioned in the article.

Very down to earth guy. He claims to be 90% organic.

-Seshu

1 Like

Seems almost too good to be true…but truly inspiring either way.

@seshuko - What were your most valuable lessons learnt from the way Mr Sadananda conducts his operation? Last year we started our own operations in Tamil Nadu and I am sure Mr Sadananda will have several tips.

We will plan to connect with him next time in Bangalore.

Good article.

valuable lessons that I could see from the visit:

1. Never do mono cropping : Have multiple sources of income. He had 30 sources from 2 acres, that is mind blowing. Most of the sources were symbiotic, means one source helping the other. Like the Giriraja chicken rearing under the shade of Areaca nut trees inturn the birds give back the dropping to the plants. This is like simulating the forest.

2. Reduce the expenses by reducing the dependency on the external inputs, like he himself prepared the neem seed mixture (neem cake ) fertilizer. What i mean is Move towards Natural/Organic farming.Point 1 too helps to reduce the external dependency.

One may not copy exactly everything what Sadananda is doing due to different climate(hence different crops) & market conditions that we have in the regions that we live in.

Seshu

PS : One more lesson which is not related to agriculture is that just do what one likes & be satisfied what ever we have. He has little High school education earning in 20 lac pa. He doesn’t have 1% of arrogance. We were 3 S/W Engineers visiting him.Our sum total of take home salaries was less that what he was earning.Yet he was so humble. Worth copying this one too :slight_smile:

1 Like

What is inspiring is not the income that he generates, but the sustainable life he is leading. I would love to visit his place to see if I can align myself.

I would think that these kind of lessons should be taught as ‘Extra curriculum’ at schools. Farming should be shown as a way of life and just not as a profession. We shall also create a task force, which can go to schools to propagate farming and explain to the students to pursue farming. By this, we can have more students coming towards farming and not only towards IT, industries, Technology, etc.

Hi seshu,

Can you give his farm address so that members can have a chance to visit the farm .

Boovarahan S

From Doddabllapur got towards gowri bennur 4 kms You will see his farm on the left side.

Hi?
Actually 14 laks, mistakenly it was mentioned as more than that of 14 laks.
When his phone number is provided, than why address? can call farmer and ask him.

Sadananda’s farm is situated on Gowribadanur road from Doddaballapura.
Land mark, 2km after Kantanaukunte, now tar road is laid.
Regards.
SWAMY

I’d love to know how his dogs co-exist with the chickens - are the dogs physically separated?

Dear Sir,
If we grow them from small kid age, then they can live with Harmony.
My little tiger( 5 month old cat) will attack both of dogies (6 month old) at a time and they will allow little tiger to play game with them finally all three play for some time. Clever little tiger hit a punch and than run away from them. These dogs wil also play games with new born Lakshmi ( 4 day old female cow kid)

This is common for us every day evening at home after coming from farm work and a kind of entertainment as well the moral which we can learn from animals.
Regards.
SWAMY

Swamy bhai tusi great ho…

How u collect all these infos. \i was not able to meet u in agritech.

Dear Sir,
Swamy is also done diploma in Journalism, therefore sensing success stories for learning good is also part and parcel of Swamy’s day to day activities. I met few of my best friends who came from 300 km only few words with phone call. Met only Taramani & Prasad from this forum.

I personally think Mr.SADANANDA’s model can be replicated anywhere in India…success rate would be based on proper mix of inputs and plants being grown in any farm…We in INDIA need more of Mr.SADANANDA in our farmlands so that we will have Food security.

Quote from your reply
He has planted about 2,000 rose cuttings on three-fourth of an acre, which fetches him about Rs. 4 lakh a year, and has set up a greenhouse on one-fourth of an acre for cultivating capsicum and high-quality rose alternatively. Capsicum, cultivated for about six months, yields him about Rs. 5.4 lakh while the rose variety that replaces capsicum for the next six months gets him about Rs. 2.5 lakh a year.
Dear Sadananda,
I have no words to express your achievement and thanks to you for giving valuable guidance . I am trying to help young entrepenures to provide them projects for self employment . This project i am studying on small scale and find the right ansawer with you having developed green housre in 1/4th acre .I also identified both items but was not sure about the return .isince it is in NCR delhi where land is very expensive but can be spared with this small area for the purpose .
Will you please give me detail project report stating latest cost of inputs for this working model of 1/4 acre green house what exactly you did ,and step by step action on my Email Id if possible .ID sohinderpal@yahoo.com
This project is for my self and my family and may try to come my self or send my son entrepenure did his Msc from uk to have some experience at your farm with your permission sir.
Thanking you and wishing you all the best in life and good Health.
Sp singh Email Id sohinderpal@yahoo.com
mob#9958323012

hi all,

i met mr.sadananda yesterday…what ever is there in the article is true.a humble man who shares experience with the person who comes to meet him…a place for the young agro -preneurs to visit to get motivated .

Gr8

Hi,

From past 2 days iam trying to mr.sadhananda mobile number but there was no reply. Please let me know if there is any other way to contact him. I came to bangalore just to visit his farm. Please let me know ASAP.
Contact number [removed by mods in your own interest, you can be contacted by PM or forum email]

If there are any other greenhouses that can be visited near bangalore please let me know … I will be very helpful to me.
Thank you

Dear

The no. you are trying is his residence no. I took almost 2 months to reach him. You please go to Doddaballapur -
On Doddaballapur Gouribidanur Road you will find Tapasi Halli approximately 6 km from Doddaballapur take left and left side you will see PH thats Mr. Sadanandas farm.

Please call me no sent your PM

Hi, krishna prasad ,

Thank you for your quick reply. I just have a small confusion regarding the tapasi halli land mark. I couldnot find tapasi halli in google maps. I found kantanaukunte in maps which is 5 km from doddaballapur. from there can you tell me the route.