After growing greens on a trail plot we realized that the soil nutrient level is very low as its very sandy and the soil hasn’t been fertilized since ages.
We then decided to mix up a few techniques and try it again …. Luckily we succeeded (atleast as of now)…
We made shallow beds which were 5 ft wide and 12 ft long, the idea was that one should not step into the bed as it would harden the bed. When the bed is only 5 ft wide one can access the center of the bed from both ends without stepping in.
Then we add a big basket of dry leaves/organic waste from the nearby park/vegetable market ( one tractor load costed us Rs.250, we needed 4 loads for 30 guntas ) we then mixed it up with soil sending some organic matter below the soil and some above.
The idea was if I had give Jeevamrutha then it needs organic matter to survive. The reason mixed it up and sent some below the soil is because the locals said that it would decompose fast and encrich the soil (just went by their confidence levels and experience). The reason I wanted some leaves on top was for Jeevamrutha to do its job better (not getting into details about that).
After this threw the seeds on the bed and sprinkled a small quantity of FYM just like an icing on the cake, then gently mixed it up so that seeds could be covered with some soil.
We then used a 1 inch flexi tube with a shower head to water the bed. This gave a micro sprinklers effect just that it wasn’t fully automatic.
We sprayed jeevamrutha (1:10 ratio) after about 15 days and have planned sour buttermilk and cow urine spray on the 21st day.
After about just 23odd days we have already harvested about 3 different types of greens and got a great response from consumers.
They said it tastes great and will want a weekly supply……
Just thought of sharing my experience on this forum and would like to get some more suggestions to improve the same.