Sugarcane farming

Hi Varaahan,

Spacing would be 5X2 or 6X2 (will inspect local farms and decide). After some analysis - thinking to Cowpea or legume which grows well during late rabi. Do you think if I mulch heavily using the Cowpea and dry cane leaves during late April-May and leave them till sometime, then will there be a possibility to control weeds during monsoon. As far I have seen this year, rain brings a lot of weeds.

Happy Diwali :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Vamshi

Weeds can never be fully eradicated but may be ,at the best , controlled.
Mulching controls weed growth.
Besides it prevents the soil from getting heated up in summer , maintains a stable temperature , moisture level and provides an atmosphere for microbial growth.
Go for 6 feet spacing in which case you can grow inter crops and also power tillers.
April - May is peak summer and don’t go for planting at that period. Start in January end and that would be ideal.
I don’t know where your farm is ( Guess in AP) and January is ideal for sugarcane and other small grains.

My farm is in AP, 100 KM from Hyderabad. Yeah, I would complete by jan but would like to escape atleast couple of rounds of weeding by heavy mulching, so just checking if that is possible.

Hi Vamshi/Varahan,

Hope you guys are doing good.

@ Vamshi, did you go ahead with the sugarcane plantation, please share your experience and photo’s also.
I am also from hyderabad and my farm is 110 Km away towards Kohir/Zahirabad.

@ Varahan, you did not share any photos of you sugarcane farm after plantation.

How is the 6X2 working, what is the output.

I am having 4 acer of sugarcane crop, ready to harvest. Will be done this week.

I went for 6 feet distance row spacing but could not maintain the plant to plant distance of 2 feet.

Over all the crop looks great.

I am planning for SSI method for another 2 acer next month. Have few questions so want to confirm.

Happy Republic Day…

Thanks

Venu KUlkarni

Pls see this link:
picasaweb.google.com/1159226236 … 0264536674

varaahan

Hi Varaahan,

Thanks for the reply and photos, but these photos you have attached earlier in this thread.

I was asking how did the crop respond, number of tillers, photos of mulching after cutting etc. Output ?

Thanks

Venu Kulkarni

Hi All,

Did any sugarcane farmer try this tip ?

Tip : Removing mother stalk for more number of tillers.

youtube.com/watch?v=VBzj3UAdkPw

Can any one suggest how we can get more number of crushable cane’s ?

any suggestions on getting around 100 Tons of output.

Suggestions on Ratoon management also welcome.

@varahan

Here is my sugarcane farm. We got around 90 Tons for 3.5 acer’s :frowning:

Thanks

Venu Kulkarni

kudos to your achievement.
Instead of plucking the mother stalk you can try cutting it in a smaller area.
This will help in mushrooming of more number of tillers.

Please share with us your methodology of sugarcane farming…