Stevia in Tamilnadu?

I AM IN CHENNAI OWNING SOME LANDS ABOUT 40 KMS AWAY FROM CHENNAI. I AM TOLD THAT CULTIVATION  OF STEVIA IS SUITED FOR THE CLIMATE AND ALSO PROFITABLE VENTURE.  BUT I DON’T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT IT. CAN SOMEBODY THROW SOME LIGHT ON THE CULTIVATION , MARKETTING AND ALSO PROFITABILITY OF THESAID CROP.
REGARDS
GIRIDHARA 

Hi there,

Stevia was touted as a hot favorite and high cash flow crop about a year ago. We have been following the market trends till date and here is a quick summary. Please also conduct your independent research and share if you arrive at conflicting conclusions.

Stevia has a relatively short gestation period hence can have multiple rotations a year.
The stevia extract (in multiple forms) have high(er) per unit market rate.
Most posting for Stevia suppliers, consultants, etc on forums like these are for sapling providers. Very few are actually growers…which seems a little suspicious.
Issues observed so far are that Indian Stevia market is pretty limited or insignificant hence the end product demand is low.
Latin American countries like Brazil are leaders in Stevia cultivation. They are also the preferred location for stevia based product manufacturers in USA or other western countries.
There are minimal govt. subsidies and no special programs offered by Horticulture Board for cultivation.
Tamil Nadu may be suitable for Stevia given the crop can grow in hot and arid environment. The yield will of course differ.
Before cultivation or investing any money, ensure you have end buyers of your product. This is very important. Do NOT rely on sapling seller who promise a ‘buyback’. They are usually not very reliable.

Hope this helps. Good luck!