Starting ZBSF - steps/procedures/sequence

Hi Farming Community,

I have attended a 3 day workshop of Shri Palekarji’s ZBSF at Tumkur last year. I grasped most of it. but one thing I still get struck is where to start? I had also visited Bannur Krishnappa’s firm. I asked him this question. he seems to answer only what I already know but not to the depth I wanted for practical implementation. so in the interest of the forum and audience in large. can people who have started off with ZBSF throw some light on how/when/where you started. if you can lay down steps/procedures to follow it would immensely help.

I suggest we break this topics into two sections

1. for those who already have their farm up and running and want to adopt ZBSF and
  2. for those who have a barren land and want to start afresh with the ZBSF.

If we consolidate our thoughts now we can plan ahead for the coming planting season during june - november.

Thanks in advance
agri_lover

[quote=agri_lover]
Hi Farming Community,

I have attended a 3 day workshop of Shri Palekarji’s ZBSF at Tumkur last year. I grasped most of it. but one thing I still get struck is where to start? I had also visited Bannur Krishnappa’s firm. I asked him this question. he seems to answer only what I already know but not to the depth I wanted for practical implementation. so in the interest of the forum and audience in large. can people who have started off with ZBSF throw some light on how/when/where you started. if you can lay down steps/procedures to follow it would immensely help.

I suggest we break this topics into two sections

1. for those who already have their farm up and running and want to adopt ZBSF and
  2. for those who have a barren land and want to start afresh with the ZBSF.

If we consolidate our thoughts now we can plan ahead for the coming planting season during june - november.

Thanks in advance
agri_lover
[/quote] Hi what is your profile? Do you have agriculture land? If yes, then nature is already started ZBNF in your land. Have you seen it? Wishing you all the best.

Hi Swamy,

I have around 2 acres land. it is currently barren I want to make it green I plan to take the ZBSF route for the same. I want to make my land self sufficent and take care of itself. I plan to grow different fruit trees in half acre and coconut and teak and silver oak at the bordors. I plan to embark on this journey from the jul-oct this year.

Regards

Since your land is barren you must increase grounnd water table, increase % of organic carbon(have your soil tested to know this).

1. you can have tractor till (only for the first time).
  2. Dig pits for fruit plants.(leave it for aeration)
  3. Broadcast any cover crops seeds like Alfalfa,velvet bean or sun hemp or pigeon pea. (have atleast two cover crops)
  4. Use jeevamrith for cover crops.
  5. It is not necessary to till after doing these steps. Earthworms are going to do tilling for free of cost.

by doing above steps you can have no till farm. Alfalf and pigeon pea roots go deep as much as 10". So these plants act as natural plough.

When you have at least 1" thick humus on the feild, you can start planting fruits.

Where is your farm located? are you planning for 5 layer concept?

To increase ground watr table you can prepare contour bunds, localised trenches, peripherial trenches. The water collected in your farm must not flow out of your farm. You can acive this by periperial trenches. Dont think that the land is wasted for trenches, Sri.Palekar suggests you can have trees like neem,pongamia etc on these trenches.

Sri sir,very nicely narrated to start with. g.p.rao,farmer.

Hi Sri2002,

Thanks for a informative reply. I had a few queries on your advice + answering some question you asked:

1. Dig pits for fruit plants.(leave it for aeration)
  • Should I have to put anything in the pit after digging. While planting what may be a good mixture to fill into the pit.
  1. Broadcast any cover crops seeds like Alfalfa,velvet bean or sun hemp or pigeon pea. (have atleast two cover crops)
  • What may be the nice time to do this. I am planting my plants during jul-oct. do I need to do any pre process before I broadcast the cover crops?
  1. Where is your farm located? are you planning for 5 layer concept?
  • Around 100 kms from Bangalore. yes I am planning 5 layer concept? Can you give me a hint how to prepare for this in terms of marking and what implement to use to get the V-grove digging. Preparing my own seedlings using the best selected plant may not be possible as I don’t have much experience. I am planning to get required plants from nursery and plant them. Hope this will work?

Regards,
Mohan

1. Dig pits for fruit plants.(leave it for aeration)
  • Should I have to put anything in the pit after digging. While planting what may be a good mixture to fill into the pit.

You have to prepare a mixture of clay,neeam cake (crushed), sand, Anthill soil or ghan jeevamrith,clay, sand. leave this in pit for a week before planting. it must be covered with mulch. you will have to control nematodes and termites jeevamrith and neem cakes will take care of these.

1. Broadcast any cover crops seeds like Alfalfa,velvet bean or sun hemp or pigeon pea. (have atleast two cover crops)
  • What may be the nice time to do this. I am planting my plants during jul-oct. do I need to do any pre process before I broadcast the cover crops?

Rainy season is best for cover crops. remember dicot cover crop should follow a monocot. otherwise there will be imbalance in CN ratio.

1. Where is your farm located? are you planning for 5 layer concept?
  • Around 100 kms from Bangalore. yes I am planning 5 layer concept? Can you give me a hint how to prepare for this in terms of marking and what implement to use to get the V-grove digging. Preparing my own seedlings using the best selected plant may not be possible as I don’t have much experience. I am planning to get required plants from nursery and plant them. Hope this will work?

A nylon rope of 250 ft long is enough for marking. Mark along with quarry dust see below link for photoes. techie2aggie.blogspot.in/2011_03_01_archive.html

for v groove digging no perticular measuring is needed. since it is slow process, it can be done manually.

You can attend the seminar which is likely to be hled in second week of May. We will post the details

[quote=agri_lover]
Hi Swamy,

I have around 2 acres land. it is currently barren I want to make it green I plan to take the ZBSF route for the same. I want to make my land self sufficent and take care of itself. I plan to grow different fruit trees in half acre and coconut and teak and silver oak at the bordors. I plan to embark on this journey from the jul-oct this year.

Regards
[/quote] Hi? Profile means I expected your present and past to know what you need in Agriculture however you provided your feature activities. Wishing you all the best.

Hi Sri2002,

Thanks a lot for answering my queries. it has helped me a lot. Yeah sure I would be very happy to attend the seminar. plz let me know when it happens.

Regards,
agri_lover

Hi sri2012,

I am planning to start the initial preparation of ZBSF farming from next month onwards. As Instructed would be tilling the land and sprinkle it with jivamrutha and then would broadcast the menure/cover plants. I am planning 5 Layer menthod with a small patch of 36X36 and based on its outcome woudl go with more. Need your suggestions if I get struck.

Thanks,
agri_lover

No.No. Jeevamritha needs mulching or bio mass.
1.Till for a shallow depth with bullocks,
2. Broadcast seeds
3. You have to do plank ploughing after broadcasting otherwise birds/rodents eat seeds.(use a plank instead of chisel plough) This will embedd the seeds in soil.

I dont think it is wise to trial a small peice, because results will be known only after 5 years. Are you ready for this? Wisdom is visit the farms who are already done this. Get info, analyse then proceed with firm faith.

Why dont you attend seminar this weekend? There is a plan to visit somefarms also.

Hi sri2012,

Thanks for reminding, I will surely attend the seminar. please count me in…

Regards,
agri_lover

Agri_lover, the following post will answer all your queries on how to start natural / organic farming with detailed sequence for first few years…

How to Convert from Chemical to Organic Farming - Guidelines by NHM

Hi Farming Community,

Thanks a lot Sri2012, GP Rao sir & newbie447 for your suggestions.

With the onset of rains. I have started my first step towards ZBSF by procuring daincha & sunhemp seeds, which i will broadcast after a one time tilling and leveling. Plus plant all the border plants. Pray god for my success.

Regards,
agri_lover

Please post regular updates so we can follow your process and understand how you are making out. Thank you.

Srinivas

Waiting to hear on your activities Agri Lover (what is your real name?)

Srinivas

Hi All,

Sorry have been a little busy with my work last 6-7 months. couldnt contribute or spend time on the forum.

Well there are lot of things that happend during last 1 year on the farming front. To give a jist, My Teak & silver oaks at the boundary are around 7 feet tall now and my mixed fruit orchid has started giving some fruits, my Banana plantation is around 9 months now. Recently I procured a desi cow. who currently is the Maharani of my farm. she is very hyperactive and keeps us all on toes…

Last 1 year was filled with learning, failing, losing, gaining etc. I shall pen my experience one by one in the days to come.

Cheers,
agri_lover

Please share your experience/photos and methods you followed…