Starting Organic Dairy Farm Near Bangalore -- Blog

I am coming back to India next tuesday. It is my dream to have a farm in a place with a nice climate for me to settle in. Kerala is OUT. The labor, climate and unfriendly officialdom are the reasons. Karnataka - areas southwest of Bangalore/Mysore maybe good (?). So also mattupetti area. I am looking for land on long lease.

I plan to have only Desi cows Ongole, Tarparkar, Sindhi etc. Their milk do not contain beta caesin 1. I plan to have a dairy (starting with 25 cows?) and an integrated farm.

Anyone who can help me?

Kochu

Location is good as its closer to Bangalore. Minimum 10 acres would be required to start. Avoiding beta caesin 1 will be the USP for selling your milk in Bangalore. Its a superb plan

Replecate oxygen acres of Mysore www.oxygenacres.com . They home deliver organic milk.

Thanks

Hello,

Few points you must know:
1.Dairy is a 0 day holiday industry.
2.You cannot depend on labours and operate sitting remotly. You may not make profits.
3. Attached is the list of milk yeilds of Cross breed and Desi cow.
4. You can make profits of 3K to 5K/month/animal. This is with a HF cow yeilding 15l of average yeild in a lactation.
5. I dont have finacial figures for desi cow, because no body has ventured into desi cow farming in a commercial way.
6. If you dont desi sell milk @ premium price then it is social work not business. In my place Desi cow milk is sold at 30rs/lt and farmers get 25/L.
7. Ongole,Tharparkar all are originally from hot and humid zones. so Mysore is a moderate place and dessi cows may take years to get acclaimitize.
8. Malnad Gidda,Kasargod Gidda,hallikar,Amrit Mahal are local breeds. Hallikar and Amritmahal are knows for bulls.
9.Malnad Gidda yeilds upto 4L/day.
10. Desi cow doesnot need dry fodder. They dont need special attention. They dont need bath. They dont get Mastitis.
11.If you create a market with a Desi cow milk with a preminum price with a brand next day your neigbhour will create a parallel market with different lable and he adultrate desicow milk with hybrids and give you tough competition.

Points on Desi cow milk.
1.Desi cows has surya Ketu Nadi. A special Vein on shoulder which absorbs sunlight and convert it into dissolved Gold in Milk.
2.Desi cow milk has speacial natural fragrance.
3.Desi cow milk has more hogenized structure so it is easy to digest.
milk-yeild.xlsx (11.8 KB)

Hi

I had seen more and more educated people are going for dairy farming. That too techies!!!

I have travelled to north NDRI and to rohtak at Haryana. I had a good experience about cattle.

Now I am planning to start agri and dairy business in Maharashtra and Karnataka. I will plan my dairy near jog falls or at south Canara district or near Bangalore. Looking for good partner with knowledge in dairy developement

Regards

Vinod Puthran

Vhputhran - You are right about the movement of the educated into Agri based initiatives. We are a bunch of Techies as well and started on this road a few years ago. Check out our blog if you’re interested.

In terms of livestock operations, we feel the cost of feedstock is the most critical success factor to make it a profitable venture. We have just started with sheep and goats for reasons other than dairy but feel very positively about organic, pseudo-hydroponic systems to grow livestock feed - at least to supplement traditional feed options. We are going to pilot this system at our locations, here are a few videos which show the concept. It’s simple, cheap, easily scalable and reduces waste. Here are a few youtube links :

If someone is already doing this, it would be great to hear from you guys! Keep sharing helpful stuff tricks & tips, that’s what techies do, right!? :slight_smile:

youtu.be/zDRe-xKcEn4

youtu.be/pL0yAuoOXZQ

youtu.be/f3XFoph3a_g

Thats right buddy !!! Thanks for the link/video. i don’t think so anybody in india has adopted such type of method of growing fodder…

Hi,

yeh, most of the progressive dairy farmers all over india is trying out with hydroponics method to grow fodder like in kerala,tamilnadu,goa,gujarath,maharastra,haryana etc., as per our knowledge. Now,we too started to use fodder solutions machine to grow green fodder to our cows in our farm, since last one month.

more details can referred in the topic…Integrated dairy farm - experiences topic posted/shared by us in this forum.

thanks,

kasturiraju.

Hi Folks,
i have recently been to Oxygen Acres in Mysore. it was really enlightening to see a software engineer transform the dairy business in india through organic farming. check -
caleidoscope.in/eco-ideaz/ox … -freshness
regards
Levine

ORGANICDAIRY please post more updates about your venture. Would like to hear more and probably visit your farm.

Hi, how did the pilot go? Any update will be appreciated. I am also looking forward to implement this system to grow fodder.
-Thiru

Hi…please go through my blog…model modern integrated dairy farm experience s…and come back please …

Kasturiraju

@Kasturiraju
Thank you for directing me to that thread. I have gained a lot of insight into the subject.
My respects to you for selfless sharing of knowledge and experience.
I would like to visit you farm someday in the month of December, please PM me your contact details.

Regards,
Thiru