Risks and threats in farming in outside state

Dear Members,

By God’s grace, land purchase process are in positive way,. Understand there are several esteemed members are doing farming in outside state of their mother state. Being a out sider what are the threats, risk should be for see in doing farming in land situated deep inside of the villages in outside state of mother land.

Many friends and family members discouraging and opinion negatively above farming in outside mother state. Are am overcautious, or does it any true in that ?? Major opinion that when the owner is not staying in farming and he is just in supervision job weekly or monthly, there are threat of local take over position of lands, labours may not obey the master properly, or may make unreasonable demands being the maser is an outsider, …etc. Fear is because we are not a high net worth individual to invest and forget , its pure farming due to passion, so if the entire process is high risky matter, no sense in do that.

awaiting for your experiences, views on this matter

rgds
mathew

Dear Mathew,

At the outset, thanks for creating this thread!
I completely agree with your view,
since we have few relatives who bought nice piece of agricultural land outside their state & now the condition is worst,
local Adivasis have took the full possession of land.

Now its a big pain for lifetime for the owner, even its sale is not an easy task.
Simply a dead investment!!

Even agricultural activities are full of hassles.

So, one needs to be very cautious when buying land which is outside his physical reach.

I also endorse same. Labours study your weeakness for a period, then they utilize it. If you are soft then it is gone case.
It is advisable to have land in home town. Atleast nobody feels that you are alone.

And on the other hand there are lot successfull planters who are controling from UP and getting the work done at Karnataka, that too not a small peice of land.it is about 80 acres.

So it depends on how you create an impression with labour and neighbours.

by the way what crops are you planning? Why dont you think of areca nut,mango and timber. which needs more maintainace in initial stage, later you can control it from where ever you are. For harvesting you can give contract.

You need a family(may be your relative) working for you for day today activities. You can invest them for a sheep farm. They will be very happy to assist you.

Dear A1fence/Sri

thanks lot for valuable advises. I also like to do arcanut, mango, nelli,etc, now studying other factors too as one side border is bush forest and hill vulnerable for wild bores (pigs). hope to do with solar fencing,

rgds
mathew

[quote=rmathewsin]
Dear Members,

By God’s grace, land purchase process are in positive way,. Understand there are several esteemed members are doing farming in outside state of their mother state. Being a out sider what are the threats, risk should be for see in doing farming in land situated deep inside of the villages in outside state of mother land.

Many friends and family members discouraging and opinion negatively above farming in outside mother state. Are am overcautious, or does it any true in that ?? Major opinion that when the owner is not staying in farming and he is just in supervision job weekly or monthly, there are threat of local take over position of lands, labours may not obey the master properly, or may make unreasonable demands being the maser is an outsider, …etc. Fear is because we are not a high net worth individual to invest and forget , its pure farming due to passion, so if the entire process is high risky matter, no sense in do that.

awaiting for your experiences, views on this matter

rgds
mathew
[/quote] dear mathews sir,from past 2 decades i am doing farming in outer states,like orissa,karnataka and tamilnadu though i belongs to coastal district of AP. If we think that we have to do farming like pomegranate,we can not do it in anyn coastal districts as it is not suitable for that weather.It must be done in arid/semi arid zones only.Hence we should go to a suitable area like maharashtra,karnataka and or AP (only Anantapur dist). If you want to grow Roses in a good way you must go to places like bengaluru (Karnataka ),pune (Maharashtra ), hosuru (TN ) though you belongs to kerala. Hence several people like us are doing farming in outer states. Be clear about one thing that good and bad people are there in our state, in our community, in our relations and also in outer states.One thing is sure,if we are good ,all will be good,if our tounge is good, all will be good.Even if any bad ness comes out from any body,other good people will make/teach them to be good. You will appreciate me if you know that several persons were cheated/troubled by their own blood relatives. One thing,as an elderly person,i want you inform you that be good,be possitive,not only to our relatives,not only to our community,and not only to our state persons but to all indians( no reazion/community feeling , all goodness will follow you. best of luck to you. gprao farmer

G.P Rao Sir,

Very well said. We reap what we sow.

Hi Rajan Mathew, There are many out of state farmers (especially from Kerala) are successfully farming in Chikkamagalur, Gundelpet etc. There are many keralites who do farming in Tamilnadu.
You may want to be little diligent abt keeping a trustful person to take care of day-to-day activities, since you will not be able to visit the farm every day. Build good relationships with your neighbors, share knowledge with them, offer help to them when needed etc.
I bet, you would be far better off farming outside Kerala considering the labor unions, availability issues, expensive wages etc.

Good luck
Biju

Respected Rao Sir, and Biju,

thanks lot for such inspirational and valuable advise. The core point I understood, first of all we should be a good person then look for others whether good or bad. So once we are good and feel good others would follow as good only.

Sorry I am posting several postings related to a land purchase and its related,. Please do not take it on other wise. I seriously considering farmnest members are my family team to depend on valuable advises and guidance. This would be my 1st land purchase in life and am at turning point of leaving a corporate life behind by listening what heart says ie passion of agri. so I would trouble you frequently.I am dreaming and putting efforts to convert present land in to a fully developed farm in 5 yrs long term goal and generating atleast some lacs per acere after onwards… so more farming can be done…

rgds
mathew

Hi Mathew,
you can always post your queries, learning in this forum . I also post so many queries and also try to help others with little knowledge I have.

I have started walking on same path as yours, luckily I got suitable land in my native.

Regarding farming at outside state, please be aware of local language which will help to a great extent.
Try to visit agri department, they are really helpful and professional now a days .
Try to be familiar with village agri officials. good/bad peopels are everywhere . You will need some one local who can take care of land for you initially, preferably a needy local couple.

In my native am trying to follow up for a farm pond with a local agri department but he is not cooperating at all, so need to find out a alternate.

Thanks,

dear ppb,

thanks. am also learning the local language and already started to communicate in broken way. Luckily i got a local couple stay in farm and doing the labour work.

will keep in chatting with more quires.

rgds
raja mathew

Brother it is payback time. Each thing you learn going forward you must post it here along with picture. You cannot do anything else than this.
This will be a foot prints for newbeis.

So start your postings from thread “how to convert chemical to organic farming” post your practical experinces here.

or you can provide proofs for the question “Is natural/organic farming practical” you can become first member to post your practical experinces to say “YES. IT IS VERRYMUCH PRACTICAL”

Best of luck