Resistance against diseases by Fungi, Bacteria, Nematodes & Virus - need testers

Hi All !

We are developing products based on chitosan that are known to induce disease resistance in plants.
These have been tested on a variety of crops over 3 years at various locations in Maharashtra.

We wish to build a more wider database of tests, and therefore I am requesting all the members to try out our products and provide feed back.
We propose 10 free tests for each of the following crops:

1. Apples 2.Cabbages, Cauliflower, Broccoli 3. Capsicum 4. Chillies and Capsicum 5. Cucumbers and gherkins 6. Eggplants 7. Ginger 8. Grapes 9. Maize 10. Okra 11. Pomegranate  12. Potatoes 13. Rice, paddy 14. Soybeans 15. Strawberry 16. Tomatoes 17. Wheat

We expect that you will test the product for a known problem. Use complete dose of our products. You may use all other treatments that you otherwise use for the said problem. If you can keep a small portion untreated (with our products) that would be ideal. At the end of the test you will share your exact results with respect to severity of the disease occurrence as well as yield.

I need suggestions to this approach (if any); and if you think any other crops need to be included in this list.

Best regards

Dr Abhay Shendye 

Good idea, Dr. Abhay.

Some thoughts -
[ul]
[li]When do you expect to be notified by a tester? when the disease has occurred on his crop? If so, the transit time will need considered since most diseases have the potential to destroy the crop by the time your products arrive - even if it is only a few days. [/li]
[li]How do you plan to dispatch and to which locations?[/li]
[li]Are your products preventive or curative?[/li]
[li]Which specific diseases are expected to be controlled per crop?[/li]
[li]What kind of data do you expect from the tester? - visual or quantitative? Some pics always help. You might plan to visit some experimental plots at random[/li][/ul]

Thanks,
Chandra

Thanks Chandra for raising very valid questions from the view point of implementation. Let me address them point by point.

1. We expect that the tester/ group of testers will plan in advance for testing our product, This will be based on their regular problems e.g. mildew in grapes, root rot in ginger n strawberry, xanthomonas in pomegranate, and nematode of any crop based on location/season of serious attack etc. If the plan is made ahead of plantation, then and then only we can test the product for its best results. I know this is not very common amongst the farmers. But that is why I am taking the help of the discussion forum where I find farmers are much more advanced.
  2. Once the location, testers, and aim is finalized; we will send material well in advance and where-ever possible our team member will visit to note the implementation, findings, specific alterations needed in the plan etc. I think that  at least for the vegetables form the list, we prefer the Feb - April planation for the fuller test. it will serve 3 purposes. A) we will have minimum interference of climate in the test. B) The growth promotion effect of the products will be more pronounced. C) The testers will have maximum economic benefit.
  3. My products can cure diseases iif applied at early stage. But if you have to go by analogy of human medicines I would not like to call them antibiotics (though they have some activity). Rather I will put them somewhere in between vaccination and herbal tonic e.g. Chyavanprash. Needless to say that they must be applied as per schedule, irrespective of preponderance of the disease. If I can add more on the product, it is 100% biological (not certified at the moment); outside the purview of CIB as well as FCO 1985. We have found that they are 100% non-toxic. We plan to move CIB voluntarily for its registration under appropriate section. The registration process will be initiated latest by Dec 2013.
  4. Maximum data is always welcome. However, minimum expectation is that the tester should be able to qualitatively assign utility of the product, describe benefits as observed, and if possible give an estimate of quantifiable gains. Finally if the tester asks for the price of the product which he/she has used; that is the acid test for commercial success of the product and the exercise.

It is very important to understand: Why I am taking this step?

The certification from Department of Agriculture, and registration at CIB are legally mandatory, and we will also get these  things done. But for me, the data generated in these studies is neither enough for the manufacturer nor the farmer. Suppose I say that a single product can be effective against following pathogens - Ascochyta, Fusarium, Phytophthora, Botrytis, Potato Spindle Tuber Viroid, Alternaria, Aspergillus, Cercospora, Colletotricum, Aeromonas, Xanthomonas - nobody will believe. Conducting such a study as per approved guidelines  may not be possible in a Government Lab. But our farmers are the best researchers. They can observe performance of their crop with respect to all aspect after they use our product. Finally I don’t want my product to be based on some in-vitro or limited trial data. If the farmers think that the product is worth for its value, that will be the success of my products.
In a small way, I have experienced this in one closed area of vegetable plantation. Where even non-English speaking farmers call my products by name like Agro_guard-Crop. I am recognized as the manufacturer of the said product. And commercially I get paid against delivery. This has continued for over 5 years. Farmers with worst nematode attack tell me that the crops are standing because of our product. This is not to boast, but to build the confidence amongst the testers.

Best regards

Dr Abhay

ME ME ME ME !

Greetings Dr.Abhay,
i found your post finally, can we keep this open for our discussion?

Vivek

Hi Dr.Abhay
I am so happy to see a product with a broad spectrum , but i have doubt regarding one issue.  Chitosan is normally used against fungi but how do you expect it to act against bacterial pathogen. 
I will be gland to know the answer.

Hi

Vivek, we can keep this open for our discussion.
Ranju Chitosan inhibits germination of fungal spores. It can alsoKill bacteria, but the MIC in some cases is very high.
But it can induce Resistance against bacterial, fungal as well as viral diseases.
The main problems in effective use are as follows:

1. The chitosan does not remain soluble between pH 4.5 and pH6.5, and almost all our practical applications have pH exceeding these value s. So specific modifications are required.
  2. Chitosan stars losing its effect as the salt concentration in water reaches or exceed 100 ppm. This is another bottle-neck in practical applicability and needs consideration of second set of modification(s).
  3. Maximum effectiveness of chitosan is as a preventive applications, and farmers generally use only curative and that too late curative.
  4. Different crops develop the disease resistance in different manner. So we need actual performance data.

If all these studies are conducted well, we can get desired effect at a very low concentration of chitosan derivative and therefore should be cost effective for the farmers.

Regards

Dr Abhay

Hi Dr. Abhay

Thank you for the reply . You mean to say that Chitosan results in  SAR  in plants. 

““and if you think any other crops need to be included in this list””

what do you think about Banana?

Greetings everyone,
the language you gentlemen are talking in is very technical and i can hardly keep up.

it would be very helpful for new people like myself to understand what is MIC, chitosan etc. if you could add some visuals or give a short brief about them. thats just an example.
i know this would be very time consuming and info about them might be available online, but it would help to have it in one place.

as a farmer (grower of Capsicum) i had major problems with virus in my last crop and had to totally remove my whole plantation after 4 months, which was very sad and painful. as this problem was completely new, and never had been seen in Nasik, Maharashtra region, no one really knew what it is, how is it caused, and the cure, or how to stop/prevent it from spreading. till the time we got the info, it had already spread and was beyond control. so it was very unfortunate that about 20 acres of plantation for capsicum in polyhouse /shade net house had to be removed in our region.

i’ve tried to control and take it on top priority to prevent viral infections in my new plantation.
ok, so i met Dr.Abhay via farmnest and discussed my problems, and he suggested and guided me.

we had our first interaction in the beginning of the month when my plants were one month old. and this gentleman arranged to courier me the medicines the very next day for running trials.

ok, the point is that the work and service you are providing is excellent! with detail info to my queries. tough they are very technical, but then this gives me a chance to study more about them.

i have marked 131 plants as my sample, and observing them minutely (only visually, no lab tests done)

these are the picture of 3 of my samples. they were 30 days young then.

Yes Samarth,

We can include banana.
What are the problems that you face and expect the product to sort out?
Please explain.

Regards

Dr Abhay

Vivek, everybody would love to see photos of 1 or tow plants before the treatment after receiving 1,2, and 3 sprays.
This will give us indication as to whether or not the treatment has benefited the farmer.
You should post photos of both positive and negative results (if any).

Actually my intent of giving samples is the very generation of commercial benefit data.
Because as you rightly said if we go into the technical discussion, then amongst the broad class of “virus like disease symptoms” there are different pathogens there are different pathogens called as viruses, viroids, and mycoplasma.
So my idea is to provide a common (and cost effective) preventive solution to all farmers who face different problems because of various diseases.
Any farmer who claims no positive result will be very important for me; because I can identify the pathogen in that case and study how this one can be controlled.
This is the only practical way of moving ahead very quickly and providing the much wanted solution to the farmers.

Regards

Dr Abhay

Hi,

Who will pay if the product is a disaster (assuming) and the crop (even if limited) is washed out completely?

[quote="DR_ABHAY"]
Yes Samarth,

We can include banana.
What are the problems that you face and expect the product to sort out?[/quote]
""“nematode”" and ““root rot””

yes indeed Dr.Abhay,
actually i wanted to share some astonishing results, i was in a hurry to leave for my farm, so couldnt post them or the pictures.

Vivek

these are the pictures i took yesterday. i have already harvested the first production lot, and i am very amused to see the flower development in the plants.
if you would observe there are about 10-12 new flowers on each shooting. i have never grown capsicum with that number of flowering. 6-8 flowers is normal, but this is 80% more!!
my next target is to convert atleast 80% of these into fruits. hopefully the weather remains stable.
can you suggest anything which could help me ?

is there any ingredient in the spraying liquid you sent, which can be related to this?

sadly, the liquid you sent me is finished. as i need 200 litre for one spray. as the recommended quantity was 2.5 ml/l. i used 375 ml / 200 litre water.

Vivek

Vivek,

The product has growth promotion effect.
But it does not work like hormone.
It only brings out the untapped capacity of your plants to expression.
So if your plants have more stress, you will not get increase in the number of flowers.

At this point of time of your experience, I will suggest you regular use of 3 different products.
The one I gave you was curative. You will stop use of this, and continue use of 2 products that are preventive with more growth promotion activity.
They need to be used one as foliar spray and the other one as soil drenching.
These will be more cost effective for you as compared to curative one.

For ethical considerations, I would  like to restrict the use this discussion group platform only for the technical discussion. So if you would like to discuss about the commercial part we can always do it personally.

Samarth, yes it will work very good for nematode and root rot of Banana. I was a little worried about foliar application of banana as the banana leaf is not so good in retaining water on its surface.

Padmanabhan, if you read my previous mails carefully, I have never suggested that the farmer stops use of any other products for my trials. So obviously its the risk of the farmer if he experiences disaster with or without my products. This is just an offer to test the products for free. I am sure most of the users that test the product will be reasonably satisfied, since I have tested the performance on my own, and will be recommending the use only to those who I think will be benefited. Still the test is limited only to a free sample, without any claims and responsibility of the performance. The discussion in this group about the activities of the product is an attempt to explain the mode of action, and should not otherwise be considered as ‘tall claims’ or ‘performance assurance’.

Regards

Dr Abhay

dear friend, iam working in potato research institute station jalandhar punjab and working on plant protection. crop season is going to start in next few weeks ,if you are interested to test your products plz contact on my email kapil222in@gmail.com
my mob. no 9914757697

Wont this be effective with “” soil drenching “”

dear dr.abhay,i am a postgraduate in pharmacology and was conducting clinical trials before retiring.now after retiring i started farming on my ancestral land near aurangabad.i have built up a hydroponic system of about an acre with shade net,fogging,micro irrigation etc.i am going to plant capsicum in this system this month.i could visualize your desire of conducting trial of your product.i would like to conduct scientific trial of your product.the plantation will be done in this week only.please provide me the sample and protocol of the trial you want to conduct.
                    vishnu dasharathe mob. 09022927007.vishnudasharathe  gmail.com

Greetings Dr.Abhay,
plz see a latest picture of a plant which was healthy, now it seems to have some sort of disorder / deficiency.
this same problem, i have identified in quiet few plants, and is really concerning me now.

it does not look like a virus infection, tough the curling is similar.

Vivek