Request for help regarding Bamboo

I need to construct few sheds in an year time. Instead of buying bamboo I am thinking of planting Bamboo as I have half an acre unutilised land in Kanyakumari district.

The climatic condition as follows

Need your help with the following

1. How many days it takes to grow Bamboo?
  2. Is Tissue culture based Bamboo better?
  3. Any source with proven Bamboo products?
  4. What type of Bamboo I should plant?
  5. Do I need to do any process before I use the bamboo to construct shed? If so what sort of process?
  6. What climatic conditions it grows? When is the best time to grow Bamboo?

Besides the above,

I have some projects in open field where I need to construct some rack to keep some pots. It is expose to sun and water(when I pour water) every day. I need to keep this for 3 to 5 years.Can i use Bamboo to farm rack?

Thanks

Hi, I like your pro-activeness. However one year will not be sufficient for harvesting bamboo for your requirement of sheds.

Here are my views on your queries.

1. How many days it takes to grow Bamboo?

Raj: Apart from climatic conditions, the growth depends on the type of the soil and the bamboo. It takes about 3 years at minimum for the shoots to become matured clums.

1. Is Tissue culture based Bamboo better?

Raj: Yes. I think, in this method some poles can be harvested at the end of 2nd year.

1. Any source with proven Bamboo products?

Raj: Though I do not have any specifics of the source, I’ve heard that even polyhouses are also being constructed using bamboos in India.

1. What type of Bamboo I should plant?

Raj: Since your need is to construct the sheds, you may go for “Timber Bamboo” variety. I do not know the scientific name of it. Any nursery guy will be able to guide you on this.

1. Do I need to do any process before I use the bamboo to construct shed? If so what sort of process?

Raj: You need to nullify the sugar levels in the culms before using those poles for construction, else the pest infestation would be more causing trouble to the construction. There are different ways to do this. One is to dry the cut bamboos for 3 to 4 weeks (or till the leaves turn completely yellow). Ensure the base is not touched to the ground in this method. Another method is keeping those cut bamboos in a large drum of water or some canal (stream of water).

1. What climatic conditions it grows? When is the best time to grow Bamboo?

Raj: I’m certain that Kanyakumari District suits for bamboo cultivation. If you have water source, you can plan them any time.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for the detailed inputs.

Hi,
check this //www.bamboohouseindia.org
incase you didnt till now :slight_smile:

Hello,

Pl visit www.arti-india.org. They have developed a process to strengthen bamboo. They have a booklet and also a CD on Bamboo cultivation as well as other interesting topics such as biomass pellets, simple green house techniques etc.

Regards

Avinash