Reliable Electricity Connection for Smallscale hydroponics setup in India

Hi,

I am planning to setup a small-scale hydroponics setup. I’m open to a few locations, but what worries me is unreliable electricity supply in most places. I was wondering how do people who have large-scale hydroponic farms manage electricity? Inverter battery would be way too expensive for having 6-8 hours backup, which I think should be the minimum I’ll like to have. It’s way too risky that the whole field may die if there is a power cut for 10 hours, which is quite possible once in a while.

Can someone throw some light on this?

Dear Sri Aman,

when we want to go for high Tech Agriculture, you have to provide all facilities. Provide a water source, may be a canal water or a bore well, provide a power connection from state electricity Board, keep a Water Reservoir, a diesel pump for lifting water from the reservoir, Provide a suitable Generator for lifting water from your water source.

These are my observations , in my 35 years of Agriculture experience.

with best wishes,    g.p.rao,    farmer

I agree with Rao Sir.
It is best to keep the set up simple. When its a load heavy application such as lifting pump, better than generated/backup electricity, it is safer to have a diesel pump or a diesel generator to power the pump. Keep it for intervals and let gravity do the rest of the work. This way it is fairly reliable.
My two cents.

Dear Sri Rajesh.rajan,

Thanks for your comment and as you said, it is correct for a small unit. What I recommended is for units in acres farming.

wish you the best,    g.p.rao,    farmer.

Hey Aman,

Why dont you construct an OHT that can hold water required for 6 - 8 hrs and gravity feed the field during power offs?

This would be an onetime investment isnt it. Just fill the tank when you have power.

Regards,

Saravana Kumar

Thank you everyone for replying.

My query was actually regarding a Hydroponic NFT kind of setup, which requires continuous and reliable electricity supply 24*7.

An hour or two cut, once in a while is acceptable. But even one time cut of 6-8 hours could be fatal for the plants. I can keep a generator for such cases, but these long cuts are very frequent and generator doesn’t seem best option for long hours of daily use.

So I was wondering, if there is an easy way to get an industrial connection, or of there are other, where cuts are not as frequent as regular electrical connections. I would be okay with higher per unit cost, but not unreliability.

Aman,

To start with how small is your small-scale setup in terms of water flow in LPH or power required in watts?

Example,

amazon.in/Generic-Submersibl … MFG8FYF8E7

The above pump works on DC and pumps 4200 LPH. A small battery of 50Ah will give a backup of 6 to 8 hrs. You could consider manifolding depending on your requirement.

Without knowing your power requirements or water requirements its a tad difficult to suggest an appropriate solution.

Regards,

Saravana Kumar

Great, this helps a-lot. I am yet to calculate even approximate LPH, but got a nice starting point to make some analysis.
Was considering only diesel generators, it didn’t strike me to consider DC pumps. It would simplify the circuit and be more efficient than using inverter and AC pumps and put less strain on the environment.

Thanks again.

Regards,
Aman

Glad to be of help!

You may check with Lorentz or Grundfos or Auroville if you specifically need higher capacity DC water pumps.

Once you know what capacity of DC pump you need, its upto you to select between batteries/solar/wind or combination as the input power source.

Regards,

Saravana Kumar

1 Like