Pipelines for transport and delivery of water

I’m confused between the options available for laying permanent underground pipes to transport and deliver water either to a storage tank or directly for irrigation.

I’ve laid out some of my questions below and request the experts to comment.

I expect to use a combination of drip irrigation, sprinklers/rain guns and in some cases, flood irrigation.

• What pipes are better for transporting water, HDPE, PVC or UPVC?
  • What is the cost effective choice with longevity, low maintenance and ease of installation as the goals?
  • Assuming the borewell yields 2" of water, I am being advised to lay 4" pipes beginning from the discharge nipple of the borewell. I’m told this will ensure better performance and longevity of the motor. Is this accurate?
  • Assuming I lay 4" pipes for one borewell yielding 2". Can I join another borewell line yielding another 2" to this main 4" line? Or will I need a 6"pipeline in this case (as I’m being advised)?
  • How deep should these pipes be laid underground?
  • I plan to have the mouth of the borewell covered with a lockable manhole to deter theft and protect the well. Is this advisable?
  • Since distances are high between the wells and the labour quarters, is it better to have the switch board mounted at the room location for safety and convenience or is it better to mount them near each borewell? What is the best way to protect the switchgear? Will building a small pump house nearer the wells be a better idea?

Please chip in with answers and add any other useful tips.

Thank you.

• What pipes are better for transporting water, HDPE, PVC or UPVC?
    ANS: depends on ur financial ability upvc pipes costs a fortune , we are using pvc pipes for past 7 yers no problem

• What is the cost effective choice with longevity, low maintenance and ease of installation as the goals?
    ANS: UPVC lasts very long and very strong but cost wise it is 3 times high. Ease of installation is same for all

differencebetween.net/object … pvc/ read this for difference
i would recommend pvc pipes for burial and HDPE for surface use( for sprinkler irrigation)
PVC is both cost effective and durable(proper handling)

• Assuming the borewell yields 2" of water, I am being advised to lay 4" pipes beginning from the discharge nipple of the borewell. I’m told this will ensure better performance and longevity of the motor. Is this accurate?
    ANS 2" water discharge better to use 2" pipes or else pressure will not build for sprinkler/ drip irrigation(most agricultural motors are for 2" applications sprinkler pipes aare also for 2"(63mm) pipes

• Assuming I lay 4" pipes for one borewell yielding 2". Can I join another borewell line yielding another 2" to this main 4" line? Or will I need a 6"pipeline in this case (as I’m being advised)?

we are using 2" pipes for 4-5 inch water discharge
If you want to use both borewells simultaneously ,i have not tried such a thing and cant comment so it needs discussion with experts

• How deep should these pipes be laid underground?
    we dug 3 feets below ground

• I plan to have the mouth of the borewell covered with a lockable manhole to deter theft and protect the well. Is this advisable?
    yes no harm in that.

• Since distances are high between the wells and the labour quarters, is it better to have the switch board mounted at the room location for safety and convenience or is it better to mount them near each borewell? What is the best way to protect the switchgear? Will building a small pump house nearer the wells be a better idea?

it is better to have switch board near to the bore well , there are weatherproof switch box protectors- readymade metal sheet /concrete boxes are available
you can also use mobile controlled switch boxes
(i will be installing such a device next month- DIY project so not sure of success)

price of certain brands
JAIN IRRIGATIONS 2" pipes 390/length 20feets
SUPREME 2" 340/length
VAHINI 300/length
kisan 300/length

feel free to discuss

Thanks for the detailed answers!

Could you please elaborate on the concrete switch boxes. Theft is likely to be a problem and I would like to understand if using concrete boxes would serve as an effective deterrent. I would also like to understand the use of a mobile phone to control the switches.