Paddy with fish

Hi all

we understand paddy is a traditional crop with land available we indulge with paddy ie kharif & rabi crop.
But we also understand labour problem as well as cost of labour gone up,Govt due to vote bank politics offering rice/wheat at Re 1/- kg to poor as well as labour class,this has resulted in labour becoming lethargic as well as choosy,they do not want to work in mud etc.
To overcome excess exp on paddy we can have a fish culture along with rice in same field,fish need 2 ft depth water which can be reared with having trenches at the centre of paddy field,with yearling within 6 month we get fish of 500 gm & above which compensate to excess exp on paddy by labour cost as well as less working hour of labour.

I have experimented and found quite encouraging.

anup

please share the details of your practice if possible

how is fish helping in paddy cultivation ?

Aman

Aman

There are several ways:-
1-Topography of ur land if it is sloping than u govt grants u assistance[our place in odisha]u pay 10000/-govt gives 60000/- a pond is dug 100ftx100ftx7ft depth ,where rain water accumulates in july
in july-aug along with rice u release yearling in farm pond after 5 to 6 month u harvest fish long with rice from adjoining plot,10000 sq ft area gives 1000 kg of fish sales @ 100/-per kg fetches 1lkh-30000 exp net 70000/- labour etc are not added as u need to look after rice field any how,and a rice field of 10000 sq ft will not generate 70000/- income in 6 month.
2.Use a JCV dig trenches in all sides 2ft wide 2 ft deep with central trench inside the field appx 50 ft interval u may release 1 fish per each 10 cuft water area.Application of NPK in rice field will create planktoon for fish to eat,supplement feeed like oil cake and rice husk will give boost to fish to grow,if ur in flood affected area can have fish along with rice soon after rainy season
Ill continue this topic with economics if ur interested.

anup

I fully agree with anup. When you get rice at Rs. 1, who will work on field ?

i get the point now
share your economics.

Aman

I really like the idea, not sure if I can do next season but will give a shot. :slight_smile: ;D :slight_smile: