Newbie into Agriculture

All,
This is an amazing site which gave me lot of information. Members in this forum are responding and providing inputs to anyone without any selfishness. whole hearted appreciation to them all.

I am project manager in IT company for many years. My childhood was all in villages and I consider myself an farmer in many ways. Moving away from the hustle-bustle of city life, it is always my dream to own arable land and grow to my heart content. Not so big plan but I am moving towards it where I have started to look for land in the area where I grew up.

My plan at this moment is simple - buy small land, start something small with my friends in that area (who will look after the land) and I keep visiting every week or fortnight. This is to get used to the routine of village which I have lost in last 20 years. In next 6 months to 1 year or before that, resign from my work and move to village.
I look forward for your support in terms of kind of crops, yield etc. in my region which I will share slowly.
Thanks a lot for all you guys…
M