New bore well problems + Need help about future plan

Hello,

I have just dug a new borewell on my 3 acre farm. The bore well is 250ft and the pump is 7.5hp. I operated the bore well for the first time yesterday and noticed that it only yields water for about 8mins, then it stops for about 30mins. The bore well guys said that this is because it is a new borewell. It will get resolved automatically if we operate the bore well for 2-3 days. Is he correct?

Is there any way I can check the condition of this bore well (check whether it has sufficient water or not)?

Now I would like to know what are my other options.

1. There is an old overhead tank of 8000 litre capacity on the farm. Can the water from this bore well be stored there and used via drip irrigation. Is that feasible?

2. Assuming that this is the only source of water, what crops can be grown. Instead of leaving the land fallow (or selling it at a loss), can I plant trees (eg: Teak, rosewood). Would that be feasible with this limited water conditions?

3. Is constructing a farm pond a viable option? Can drip irrigation be used with it? My area gets average rainfall of 1200mm every year. Can farm pond store enough water for a year-round cultivation?

4. My initial idea was to start a small dairy business since this farm is located very close to city. However, given this limited water condition, I am not sure if that will work.

Any help/suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Check the above details.

Thank you Mr. Padmanabhan for your inputs.

I believe the soil can hold water. My adjacent farm has some pits dug for planting tree. I can still see water in it from last week’s slight rain.
Still, I will investigate about soil quality and see if it can retain water. Any ideas about using pond lining (plastic membrane)?

Can you suggest any other ways to conserve rain water?

It takes about 1-2 hours to fill the 8000 L tank. Can I use drip irrigation from that for watering the crops? Would it be feasible?

Sorry for bothering you with so many questions. I’d really appreciate any help.

For drip irrigation to be effective, you need to have sufficient pressure in the system. An over head tank kept at a suitable height will be able to provide this. Ground level pond cannot provide sufficient pressure for drip irrigation, unless your land is sloped and you put the pond at the highest point.
If you intend to use a pond, you need a pond liner to prevent loss of water through percolation. I believe there is a government subsidy for this.

Note: Usually, I recommend allocating 10% of your land to creating ponds. Since your rainfall is high, I would suggest you to dip deep on this 10%.

Create the pond at the lowest part of the land. If there is no slope, create multiple trenches and allow them to reach the pond.

Thank you for the link. I will follow your suggestion.

Thanks. I will check with drip irrigation person if the pressure is sufficient.
I will also enquire about subsidy.

I have just dug a new borewell on my 3 acre farm. The bore well is 250ft and the pump is 7.5hp. I operated the bore well for the first time yesterday and noticed that it only yields water for about 8mins, then it stops for about 30mins. The bore well guys said that this is because it is a new borewell. It will get resolved automatically if we operate the bore well for 2-3 days. Is he correct?
REPLY: There is no other go except to manage with the Present Pumpset. Because it is yielding water after some time there is no Problem for the Pumpset. Instead of 2" delivery, you reduce the delivery by 1.50" or 1". Then the stopping time will be lessened. Increasing of yield after some times only depending on the rainfall. You can use the Overhead Tank for storing this Water and using for Drip Irrigation.

Is there any way I can check the condition of this bore well (check whether it has sufficient water or not)?
ANS: As has already stated above increasing of yield is depending upon the Rainfall in your Area.

Now I would like to know what are my other options.

1. There is an old overhead tank of 8000 liter capacity on the farm. Can the water from this bore well be stored there and used via drip irrigation Is that feasible?
    NAS: Yes, sir, you can use this for storing and for Leaving to the Drip lines through the Storage Tank.
  2. Assuming that this is the only source of water, what crops can be grown. Instead of leaving the land fallow (or selling it at a loss), can I plant trees (eg: Teak, rosewood). Would that be feasible with this limited water conditions?
    Because of less water, you can go for Moringa or Mango which needs water up to 2-3 Years. Afterwards, it will only be a Rainfed Crop, but the yield will be less. I am not suggesting Mango to my Clients, because of the Ban on Export of Mango from India. since 8-10 Years. You see the Price per Kg. is 20 6 Years back. Lat Year also it was like that. During the Current Year, the Price is Rs.30. These Prices are Retail to the Consumers. There are instances that Farmers Cannot get even the Transport Charges for the Crop in wholesale Markets leaving Fruit pickup and Maintenance cost for the entire Year.
  3. Is constructing a farm pond a viable option? Can drip irrigation be used with it? My area gets average rainfall of 1200mm every year. Can farm pond store enough water for year-round cultivation.

Ans: Yes, Sir, it is only the way to Irrigate when there is no Water Source and insufficient yield of Borewell. But you have to store the water Judiciously by tapping entire Rainwater without losing a Drop…By installing a pimpset in the FarmPond you can Irrigate your Land through Drip… Govts. are supporting with Subsidy in all the States for Farmponds Lining with HDPE Sheet.

1. My initial idea was to start a small dairy business since this farm is located very close to city. However, given this limited water condition, I am not sure if that will work…

Ans: Diary Farm is the Best Option. But in view of the Little Water it may not be Possible . Diary Farm needs Contineous Water supply…

If you are a full Time Farmer best option is to go for Moringa (Drustick) for easy Maintenance and can gro with less water. Befor this Option you have to see the Market Condition of the Pods and Leaf in your area.
If you are an Absentee Farmer I am sincerly suggesting to go for Melia Dubia Plantation and it will be an ever Growing Market in view of the Permanent Ban on Drawing of Timber / Wood from the Forests. This is a Plant and forget with little water also through Drip.
Kindly contact me through my Mail ID: vasudhagreenfarms@gmail.com to enable me send full details of this Plantation .
MANNE.SN,
for Vasudha Green,
vasudhagreenfarms@gmail.com,