Need your opinions on this land

Ppb,

Honestly, Im even against clearing up that forest land. However, economics prevail. Leveling land would be disturbing the natural settings. I would just like clear up a bit of the forest and use the slopes as they are. I need your thoughts here.

Thanks.

Hi agri_exec,
I do not have practical experience so I prefer some experienced boarder comment here.

In one of the recent visit to few farms I have seen peoples using submersible pump to pump water from 200 feet’s depth of river bed to almost 8 to 9000 feet’s longer distance. (But you need to check electricity availability). If no electricity then you need to pump water using a windmill dump it to a tank and then use . Regarding leveling I believe your decision is right, because if plan to level, you need to think of managing huge mass using tractors. Also you need to plan well so that tractors and JCB could work in sync (Since you will be paying per hour basis) .

Thanks

Hello Folks

Just wanted to drop a line with my thoughts/experiences. I live far away from my farm ( thousands of miles) and quite frankly it is has not proven to be dificult to remote manage at all.

I would have to mention that you need a tech savvy farm manager or at least one who is conversant with terms like internet/email/cell phone etc.

Cost of the land seems to be an issue for most people. There are still large acreage farms which can be obtained, but you will not find them on the internet. There is of course a tradeoff, with finding labor, transport, services etc, the further one goes away from the highway.

I have started a mango/chickoo/tamarind/custard apple plantation in about 32 acres about 100km from Hyderabad, about 5 years back. Had my share of the vagaries of cultivation/climate/water during this time. I am wondering if anyone in this forum has dug a farm pond with liner and what would the expenses be?

Drop me an email with any questions/comments

Shiv

Hi Sir,
From the posts and photos it seems that still you need to know about that particular land and plants already standing and you mentioning as forest.

Please get listed all plants which are already standing, than know the value of them first to cut them.
Seller is offering you with grown plants, why you destroy them? know them to make use of them.
You should think again to cut plants grown from years to plant banana?
Satisfaction and basic comforts should be first than returns of money from agriculture lands.
Still you living in city and hence it is not yet impressed you.
All comforts cannot be available or bring them from out side to agriculture lands like city.
You need to find your comfort in your land That is the true life.

Any have final decision if yours, all the best.

For remote farms, I believe Danish company like Grundfos have cost effective pump technologies developed for water transfer. Please see this youtube link to know about such pump:-
youtube.com/watch?v=M3BqPlXOu_E

Understand, Auroville in Pondicherry have a self-sustaining community
where I believe they use these pumps. Please see their official link:- auroville.com/aurore/Grundfo … 0pumps.pdf

Any idea on the price?

Anything from aurovile is expensive, I see Mr Sridahran of Point return spending some 2 lacs on wind pump. Solar is also expensive, more over the wattage from solar is very less. So you can only pump water from shallow depths.

I think diesel pumps are best. They have 50% subsidy. Costs around 30-15= 15 k and kerosene pumps are still cheaper 16-8=8 k. but getting kerosene is worse that getting water :frowning: :astonished:

Ideal would be to go for 10KVA genset. Costs around 60 to 70 k, 3 phase, can be connected to a submersible pump of bore well, drinks around 2lts / Hour of diesel… So running cost is around Rs 100 /hr :stuck_out_tongue: :-[ If coupled with drip, better than no power ;D

Regards

Murali

All of other options than Electric power to lift the water is expensive as of now.
Better to think other ways to save water available free from nature and utilize it for maximum extent of use fro cultivation (this practice is adopted by few farmers in Karnataka) & less dependency on water from under ground as it is not within our reach either for the reason of availability in our land or for electricity to lift it.

Hi Murali,
is it not possible to think of windmill for lifting water ? Recently I was going through a website where a gujrat farmer invented windmill which costs just 5k, and he uses cheaper and readily available material. Also pointreturn is also using a windmill .

Thanks,

Hi,

Wind mills are feasible, but not sure if it can draw the amount of water required for agriculture. Point return has the windmill but it draws water only in liters. For agriculture, we need gallons.

But as swamy has said. its always better to conserve water. But borewell are inevitable.

Regards

Murali