Hi return farming banana with watermelon as intercrop

Dear Mr.Sandeep

You are right about the variety that is G9 .The weight of the bunches varied from 36 to 42 kgs . The buyer was regular customer to my farmer friend Mr.Organic vasu . So he quoted average per bunch price of Rs.250 irrespective of the weight of the bunches. Because the market for organic farm produce is not yet organized. I asked my friend to form a farmers club with the members of like minded innovative organic farmers where they can discuss, deliberate and take collective decision regarding cultivation , management and marketing of organic farm produce on effective bargaining with the potential buyers.

Here we also grow 2 ratoon banana from the first crop . For the first ratoon we leave two sprouts in place of main banana plant and three sprouts in case of second ratoon that is third crop in third year …However the weight of individual bunch get reduced in successive crops from 42 to 30 and 20, 25 in third crops . But we maintain the quality and taste of the fruits through innovative vedic organic methods .

In this regard the buyer prefer to take our produce regularly at our farm . SO our farmer friend could not negotiate rigidly with the buyer .

Because the the price of farm produce whether organic or conventional fluctuate widely depending upon the demand and supply position and other market forces . In this connection we would like to reduce the cost of cultivation by avoiding frequent tilling of land . The trashes and previous season banana are cut down and are mulched in situ and decomposed using 12 different fungi . Arithmatic has no play in this case .

Regards
Ramu, chennai

RAMU sir,
Greetings.
Firstly I have to admire your great work for the farming community, awesome and wish you good luck sir!. Sir, I have some questions regarding the plantation time of Banana and watermelon.

1. At what time you started plantation of Banana?
  2. At what time you started plantation of watermelon? and what varieties?
  3. If I plant my banana in June and go for watermelon as inter crop in December is it feasible, as the canopy of the banana will be huge and watermelon plants may hardly get sunlight, but if I plant watermelon in December, I can get good rate for them from March( on set of summer).
  4. Where did you plant the watermelon seeds? in the same line of banana or is it in between the two rows of Banana?

Please help us with your valuable suggestions. Thank you

Dear Friend

The watermelon seeds were sown when Banana was 45 days old . However the banana and watermelon can be sown simultaneously and watermelon should not be sown in between grown up banana tree s

Here the watermelon intercropped with Banana is Sweet dawn being an early maturing variety coming to harvest in about 70 days

For your kind information , the tissue culture banana can be planted from June to December provided you have assured irrigation. The point to note here is that there should not be heavy rain during maturity and harvest of fruits or maturity and harvest should not coincide

Another thing to take note of watermelon cultivation in off season is to cultivate special varieties like Kiran that perfoms well through out the year

There is no hard and fast rule in Agriculture since modern Agriculture technologies and hybrid seed varieties have broken the limitations set in conventional cultivation

Thanks for the clarifications sir! :slight_smile: