Hello Everyone ! - advice wanted on new venture

Hi Everyone, I was a silent spectator of this forum. Now I thought it is time to introduce myself. Well I am a Software Engineer working in Bangalore and as usual the same boring 9-6 job. In fact I wanted to do something on my own, but neither me nor my parents have any other business background.Somehow my interest started diverting into Natural Farming. However I am new to Farming. I am very much impressed with Sir Subash Palekar. I am currently going through Subash Palekar’s books to start Natural Farming.

I have few questions to all the Experts here. Hope Experts here help me. I would like to thank the forum admin,mods and to Mr G.P Rao, :smiley: for helping this community to grow.

1. I am planning to quit my software job and start Farming. Is this a good/risky Idea ?
  2. I am planning to purchase some land around my Native (Mysore) to do Natural Farming ? Can we make a leaving with Natural Farming and is it profitable ?
  3. Is it better to start Natural Farming on a New uncultivated land or on the cultivated land

Thanks in Advance !! :slight_smile:

Dear Sri Santosh, Welcome to our forum, and for starting agri activity. Answer to your first question: You are a software engineer and to inform you I am a Mechanical engineer of 1969 batch. From past ,more than 2 decades I am in Horticulture/floriculture field. You have to think about your future. Undoubtedly, Farming is profitable provided your liking in Agriculture/Horticulture field, mingling with illiterates, coming to their level and getting things done with them. If you feel that they are also your friends, pl plunge in to farming activity immediately.It is more profitable than what you are earning. Answer for your 2 nd question, You can purchase lands in and around Mysore. It is a good place. You can make profits in Natural Farming, provided you dont consider the cost of land etc. If you want to do commercial agriculture,pl go for Organic Farming and/or In-organic farming. Profits in Natural farming are slow and study. It takes considerable time, and meanwhile you can have a comfortable life style maintanance. Answer for your third question is ,It is always better to start Natural/Organic farming in a barren ( uncultivated ) land. All the best, g.p.rao, farmer

1 Like

Hi Everyone, I was a silent spectator of this forum. Now I thought it is time to introduce myself. Well I am a Software Engineer working in Bangalore and as usual the same boring 9-6 job. In fact I wanted to do something on my own, but neither me nor my parents have any other business background.Somehow my interest started diverting into Natural Farming. However I am new to Farming. I am very much impressed with Sir Subash Palekar. I am currently going through Subash Palekar’s books to start Natural Farming.

You dont need so much experience, attitude matters not experience. There are big number of SW engineers are doing like you. Farming is no rocket design. YOU CAN DO IT
I have few questions to all the Experts here. Hope Experts here help me. I would like to thank the forum admin,mods and to Mr G.P Rao, :smiley: for helping this community to grow.

1. I am planning to quit my software job and start Farming. Is this a good/risky Idea ?
    Farming is no SW job. If you start comparing or loking farming in corporate context, you cannot do it. it is risky. Because there is no yearly performance apprisal. There are 100 reasons make you fail(inspite of your good efforts) or pass. So don leave your job at once. start farming, finish all your investments, when farming gives you enough money for a decent life you can quit job
  2. I am planning to purchase some land around my Native (Mysore) to do Natural Farming ? Can we make a leaving with Natural Farming and is it profitable ?
    You need to have farmer status for this. Do you already own a agri land? Is your father a farmer? PROFIT has no fixed definition. To me farming is profitable.(my limit is 1.5lacs/acre/year. remember this tax free income)3. Is it better to start Natural Farming on a New uncultivated land or on the cultivated land.

You can start on anyland. first think you have to do is to remove traces of chemicals, if it is uncultivated it is much faster.

@ g.p. rao, I am ready to mingle with illiterates and those things are not a problem for me.

sri2012 regarding the agri land, we dont own any land, however my in-laws have land, I am planning to purchase in my wife’s name or in-law’s name

Thank you g.p.rao and sri2012. I really appreciate your kind words. Surely will take all your suggestions and move on :slight_smile:

+100

[quote=sri2012]
You need to have farmer status for this. Do you already own a agri land? Is your father a farmer? PROFIT has no fixed definition. To me farming is profitable.(my limit is 1.5lacs/acre/year. remember this tax free income)[/quote]

Can some one hailing from AP let me know if one needs to have Farmer Status even if you have farm land and do not reside or do Farming in AP, in my case I have some farm land registered on my name in my native village in AP, not residing in India right now, neither into Farming, plan to get into Farming in near future. I really appreciate any help in this regard.

Thanks,
Nishikanth R Eppa

Nishikant,

In A.P you don’t need a farmer certificate to buy agriculture land or to do agriculture. but i think there is a limit for number of acres one single person can own. Again that depends on wetland or dry lands( magani or metta). I dont think you will have any issues in doing farming in your agri land when you come back from abroad. I hail from a.p but stays in chennai and recently bought some farm land in andhra and doing weekend farming.

-surya

:slight_smile:Bhayya Santosh,
So far you have accustomed to a Comfortable Life.

:slight_smile: :slight_smile:No doubt Farming is a GOOD Concept, but it is depending upon several Factors.You are getting your Income Comfortably with your Efforts more or less.But in Agri-Horticultural Profession it is depending upon several Factors like Environment/Climatic Conditions/Plant Diseases /Income is not assured etc.
    2.)I am planning to purchase some land around my Native (Mysore) to do Natural Farming ?
    Can we make a leaving with Natural Farming and is it profitable ?
    Ans:Undoubtedly you can Purchase Land at your Native.Do organic Farming for your Famiy and it is not viable for Commercial i.e. Income Earning per Acre.You Start Cultivation with the Help of your Parents/Family Members.Acquire Knowledge and adopt in your Farm by devoting your Weekends which will relieve your Fatigue on the work of the week.You will be more energetic on involving your weekend time for your Future week’s work in your Profession.After Passing an year or TWO you can decide your self whether to leave your Job or not.But yo don’t leave your Job on purchasing the Land.
    3). Is it better to start Natural Farming on a New uncultivated land or on the cultivated land

Ans: You can as well have full knowledge of this Point whether to go far Organic natural Farming or to go for present going Chemical Farming.For success in Organic Farming it will take some time.But it is a successful Concept and the result will be slow and steady.
Thank you With all the Best and Wish you Success,
MANNE.SN.,B.Com.,LLB.,
for Vasudha Greenfarms,
vasudhagreenfarms@gmail.com,

Hi Santosh,

Good to hear that you want to join the farming community. I am also in the same boat but with a small difference that my Uncle and Grand father are in to farming and the advantage ends there.

1. My first advice is not to quit job [If you are from middle class] but use you weekends and holidays to do farming and learn all the aspects about farming [Atleast This is what I am doing].

2. Farming may not be rocket science, But surely is a science. It has to be managed more professionally and methodically. In fact to see good results you need to manage it more professionally than your software job.

3. Also GKVK offers distance learning programme @ Rs 1500 or so. Please enroll in one of them. [Medium of teaching is kannada]

4. Please visit Agrimela which is held in GKVK bangalore almost every year Nov, You will get a hang of todays technology, market and lot of other practical aspects.

5. Even if you have little interest you can go ahead and buy land as the land prices keep increasing. If you need to buy in mysore then you need a phani [RTC] showing that the person in whose name the land will be registered already owns agri land. There are workarounds, plz consult a good lawyer for the same

6. Concentrate on Mechanization. Dont let the machines and associated Subsidies fool you. I have learnt that most of the machines useful to small farmers are not available in India. I got some from UK and trying to get some from US. The price is also cheaper than the subsidized cost of the machines sold in India. Some local innovators have done excellent Job in making simple machines, try to use them

Please feel free to ask more quires. It will help everybody
In any business you have hidden loss, In agriculture you have hidden profits !

-Viktree

1 Like

Good answers.
I know there was a discussion by you on importing agri tools.
Coud you please list the tools, brands,cost,contact and tools reliability? This just to summarize your learnings.

Dear Santosh,

Here’s my two bits worth…

1. First of all, congratulations on your decision, it shows your spirit of adventure, your willingness to get in touch with your inner ‘real’ aspirations and courage to go against ‘what normal people would say and do’.
  2. Very good approach to start reading up - also meet practising farmers in person, spend time on farms, try to get insights on the life they lead, imagine yourself in that place and see if you are still interested. This is only possible by actually doing it, physically and best not done ‘mentally’!
  3. Biggest mistake that people like us make is we start throwing money at the ‘project’. We surf the net, read all the advertisements and start buying stuff. ???Totally wrong approach according to me. This thing is about understanding nature and harnessing it to the best of our ability. The best way is to understand the science and art of agriculture as well as one can and take the plunge. At the end, it all boils down to how deeply you understand your land and its environment. That is something that money cannot buy - its got to be earned through hours, months, years spent on the land till you become a part of the scenery!
  4. Many even use our management education to make pretty charts and graphs and financial projections of future profits etc. All nonsense, huge waste of time. :smiley: This is a lifestyle you are talking about, full of intangibles which cannot be counted in mere money terms. If you can get hold of a piece of land, you are in business. (If you want to make loads of money - stick to software. Farming is where you get stuff that they dont sell anywhere)
  5. Many people will advise you to keep your job, keep working on the farm part time, employ workers and manage by remote control till you start earning a ‘decent’ income. Very convenient and safe option indeed. I will differ here - simply doesnt work like that. You can try this of course, but will soon realise that servants do not share your vision. Eventually, this arrangement will simply serve to postpone your dream till that ‘ideal’ situation comes - I am yet to hear that happen…We have a saying - “unless you die yourself, you dont get to see heaven.” :wink: Believe me - I am right there, waiting for everything to be just right so that I can make the big move. My employees are having a great life, fresh air, lovely weather, clean water, organic food, fresh vegetables, fresh milk (hey, that’s my dream life!) while I continue my commute in the city, buy my vegetables from the footpath, telling my friends stories about the last time I was on the farm. >:(
  6. When to make the move? Totally personal decision. If you are convinced and your spouse is properly enrolled and enthused and your parents are supportive, I say do it today! You will have to undergo the whole process of transition, adaptation, adjustment, learning the ropes, knowing people, establishing your local support base anyway - whether you do it today or ten years and many lakhs away from now.
  7. Planning plantation of trees is a long term planning exercise and difficult to undo. I suggest dont get into committing to this crop or the other - it is too early. Perhaps after studying the land, the neighborhood, the weather, original flora and fauna of the region, you can take a more informed decision. Long distance consultancy, friendly advice on net and phone, advertisements, success stories from another town/district/state/country - all very risky bases for crop planning…

Hope this helps, all the best!

Naren

2 Likes

Thanks Viktree. I really appreciate for guiding me.

Thx Naren for the Wonderful suggestions

Dear Santosh,

It would be good to get an update on what has happened in the last 5 years. Your learnings and challenges will greatly help the community of people who are planning to get into agriculture.

Regards
Prashant