Group farming - effectiveness

Hello everyone,

I am doing a research on why group farming is not effective in India,though there are lots of farmer suicidal issues that are coming up due to land acquisitions and other economical issues. Group farming is happening only in few places like Tumajore,Odisha etc throughout the country. There are possibilities that government might implement a policy for a proper research base evidence. So,I kindly request for your suggestions on the effectiveness and concerns of group farming .

I am currently in Mumbai. So it would be helpful if you can also suggest the downtrodden farmer community in Mumbai requiring help and assistance.

Thanks,
Sowmya,
Tamilnadu

Hi,

Setting a process around ownership, rights and responsibilities; and then monitoring its functioning is often too complex to allow a system like that to work.

But then group farming proved to be a better option for elderly people who are indigenous to agriculture and also for people who have less than two acres of land.So, why is not incorporated? Rather than living in poverty ,this seems to be a great way of livelihood.

Thanks for your reply.Though it is complex under ownership.This is not under single ownership.It’s absolutely under the person who owns land but then we are just helping them in trading their goods.

Hello
Group farming is ideal in these times as land has been divided under inheritance laws and each farmer ends up with very small holdings. Plus their equations with each other dont allow them to communicate and operate.
Brothers and neighbours fight every day, so I would assume it to be a very difficult process to have many farmers coming together into single initiative.
Plus the caste factor. And who wants to work nowadays with governments doling out freebies to the poor.

I believe your solution will solve the issues, however implementing it will be a nightmare.
In our area, no 2 farmers come together and talk on solution, every one has to tend their own cattle, every one will tend their own fields, and sleep and protect only their lands in the night. We had suggested solutions like handle all cattle by single person once a month, or small fund for land tilling, etc. but after that the locals stopped talking to us assuming we must be crazy to suggest such radical thoughts :slight_smile:.

Anyway, good luck to you and hope you succeed in coming up with solution.

Nikhil

Last weekend itself I came across a farmer who was tilling for Cotton plantation manually/ OX. they are a family of 3 people, and knowing them they would not be afford labour for animal tilling.

Saw around 10 people working on the land, while 4 men were on tilling and 6 women were removing the uprooted weeds.

When tried to understand their modal, I understand that there are 3-4 families involved and they all work together on each others farms, looks like this farm was the last one they are working.

They take / give help on every aspect of the cultivation

1. tilling
  2. planting seeds
  3. weeding
  4. fertilization
  5. yield

I am interested to see how the dynamics around the yield will be as the delay by one day also can change the fortune of cotton farmer, waiting to understand it in real time.

Where, when? Reference please.

This is very common. Instead of paying each other, they reciprocate through labor arrangements.