Farming - are there opportunities?

Thankyou Sir for Your Comment ,
Melia Dubia is not a small Plant . It is Big Tree.Growing of Big Trees is also called as Plantation. It is a Social Forestry Plantation Please.
MANNE.SN,

Dear all, I am a great enthusiast in this field and after discovering its potential i am actually planning to get my hands dirty. I have a friend whose father is a traditional farmer and does well in his village. we are palnning to buy a 10 acres land adjacent to his fathers land so that he can also help us with his advice on this. Since we are no tata and birla obviously we are planning to get loan from bank and start a joint venture with three partners, my share being the highest in the ratio 10:20:70. i have the following query

1. Does banks provide loans for purchasing agricultural lands to IT professional to start farming venture ?
  2. Do you think out of your experience that this is a good idea provided we all three will be monitoring the operations on best time suitability basis
  3. Would the yield be sufficient to pay off bank debts and still get some reward for our hard work
  4. we are planning to start with Cotton, Paddy and then diversify into goat farming, vegetable farming and even dairy
    Looking for advise from you all so that we can leverage from your experiences

Thanks
Mantu

Thank you Bhayya !
We are Providing replies for your Queries as follows in seriatum: Because I am from Andhrapradesh I am Providing the Details as per the Laws and Rules in Andhrapradesh. I feel that the the the rules and Procedures Banks are same in India. However Kindly Contact the Bank authorities in your Area.

1. Does banks provide loans for purchasing agricultural lands to IT professional to start farming venture ? Ans:Banks are providing the Loans for Creating Infracture like Land Development,Fencing,Creation of Irrigation Potential i.e. Borewells/Open Wells etc.

2. Do you think out of your experience that this is a good idea provided we all three will be monitoring the operations on best time suitability basis? Yes you can do well by using latest Day to Day Technologies in the Field of Agri-Horticultural Field. But however the Farmland should be nearer to you reachable within ONE Hour. One of your Own person who could spend whole time in the Farm.

3. Would the yield be sufficient to pay off bank debts and still get some reward for our hard work ? It is depending upon your effort and Time.Even then the Environmental Conditions,Climatic Conditions also be help us. Once we are Fair and Free of lust definitely all the conditions will help us as far as my experience.

4. we are planning to start with Cotton, Paddy and then diversify into goat farming, vegetable farming and even dairy
    Looking for advise from you all so that we can leverage from your experiences ? Its GOOD If one side adverses, other side of the Farm will fetch. But doing all these things your infracture, Full time attention of your Kith and Kin who supervising the Farm. MY SINCERE ADVISE IS THAT YOU HAVE TO GO FOR THE OPERATIONS OF LESS LABOUR COMPONENT BECAUSE THE LABOUR COMPONENT IS EATING AWAY OUR CROP YIELDS ON INCREASING THIS LABOUR COMPONENT DAY BY DAY AND ALSO WE CANNOT GET THE WORK DONE AS YOUR BOSS SQUEEZES THE WORK FROM YOU .MOREOVER YOU CANNOT GET THE WORK DONE AS AND WHEN THE EMERGENCY WORKS NEEDED IS NEEDED.BECAUSE OF THESE THINGS THE FARMERS ARE PUTTING INTO LOSS AND TEND TO SELL AWAY THEIR LANDS AT LOSS.

IF YOU DON’T THINK THE FOLLOWING IS AN ADVERTISEMENT FOR OUR PRODUCTS, TAKING INTO CONSIDERATION OF ALL THESE THINGS FOR AN ABSENTEE FARMERS WE HAVE DESIGNED A PLANTATION CROP WHICH FETCHES GOOD RETURNS AT A TIME WITH LITTLE EFFORTS, WHICH IS ATTACHED HERE.

If you need any further assistance, don’t hesitate to contact us on 09133498366, Satyanarayana.

MANNE.SN,B.Com.,LLB.,
for Vasudha Green Farms,
vasudhagreenfarms@gmail.com,
Hyderabad,AP.
CULTIVATION OF MELIA DUBIA1.pdf (522 KB)
MELIA DUBIA (Hindi).doc (174 KB)

Hello Mr. Manne,

I have read your posts, appreciate the knowledge shared by you. I am a farm enthusiast, planning to start my own polyhouse. Can I request a favor - It would be great if I can personally visit your farm and meet you. I am based in Hyderabad.

Regards,
Samrat

Thank you Bhayya for your Interest on our services.We are not having any poly House. But we can impart our Services for establishing a Poly/Green House and Shade Net. Presently we are having Melia Dubia Nursery and in the Process of melia Dubia Plantation in our Clients Farms.Also we are in the line of Getting Buyback arrangement from the Growers of Melia Dubia. Further we are motivating and recommending Hydroponic Farming by establishing Shade Nets in overcoming the setbacks of Poly House/Green House. You are always welcome in visiting our Farm with prior Intimation Sir.

MANNE.SN,
for Vasudha Green Farms,
A Reliable Farm Consultant in India,

DEAR ALL,

I WISH TO ASSOCIATE SOME MEMBERS FOR A PROJECT OF ECO VILLAGE ON 32 ACRES LAND IN M.P., SUSTAINABLE FARMING AND COMMUNITY LIVING TYPE

REGDS

Dear All

Please Read the Below Articles and Get Inspired

thehindu.com/sci-tech/agricu … 119863.ece

netafimindia.com/ginger-india.html

Please Do Get INSPIRED and Help Others too

pandyak70@gmail.com

I agree 100% with this. also need a scientific approach.

There are opportunities in farming. but it requires investment, exploration of options, hard work and location. by location I mean availability of road, power and water. take an example of Nashik area, Punjab or Harayana and many other, these three things and investment support by banks is main reason for growth of agriculture.

Hi Sir, can you please walk me through how Hydroponic farming gives better results than a polyhouse? I think Hydroponic farming is much costlier than polyhouse (correct me if i am wrong)

Agriculture is a wonderful business if one knows how to go about it.The basic ingredients in agriculture are three i.e. water,protection and close supervision.Rest all are frills and nitty gritties as per one’s convenience.Regarding protection of crops from animals,pests and man a farmer has to devote his maximum time.The losses due to animals may be negligible or colossal.The neelgai and monkeys etc do not cause substantial loss but the pigs,elephants and man can put an end to all efforts.Farmers choses the protection from least damaging creature i.e. neelgai stray animals etc by creating fences.The same thing can be done with no expenses if one makes live fence arrangements around his fields.Farmers usually do not want to wait for the live fence to form up in few years.They prefer wired fence which is costly proposition. So much so good is towards protection which is the lynch pin of farming.Without safe guarding you are wasting evry thing.
The next ingredient is close supervision.For close supervision you have to stay near your farm or in the farm itself.The diseases forming in the crops can be stopped in the very beginning.Any attack of harmful insects can be stopped if you supervise and observe your crops regularly.The closesupervision is also essential to see that man in the fields(labour etc) do not fritter away time.If you find soil is forming in to sodic or losing its potency due to heavily taxing crops standing there.
The third and most important ingredient is water.I always advise farmers to ensure water first and cultivaton later.The water is a costly proposition and here I will like to add excerpts of message for Mr Narendra Modi which is reproduced below:
“PROVIDE ENERGY & SEE NATION PROSPER
[i][i][i][i]Solar energy is free of cost and India has it available in plenties.We are a rich nation with copious quantum of free solar energy which is getting frittered away every day,every minute and every second due to our inability to utilise it through scientific means.America,china,germany and many more European countries are busy in preparing solar panels and latest gadgets for utilising this natural wealth in spite of the fact that they have far less number of solar days than we, who on an average, have 300 number of solar days.
Solar energy is so plentiful in India that every remote village can be made self sufficient in electricity. Not only that we desperately need power supply to grow at fast pace we also needed means to enhance its quantity for nation’s developmental purposes.Do we do it.Regret, we find that power supply in most of the states is either erratic or nonexistent e.g. U.P. is most backward state with power supply either non existing or existing with very erratic supply.
The sad part is that most fertile Indo Gangetic plains of U.P. do not produce crops to their full capacity. The deficiency of irrigation facilities is one of the factors for such low productivity in agriculture.We in India use electricity or diesel pump sets to provide water to the standing crops.
The diesel pump sets prove very costly as diesel price is rising at regular intervals.The diesel is also imported and as a result we are wasting our foreign currecy in importing petroleum products.The irrigation cost due to diesel consumption raises ultimate cost of all edible items.Imagine if solar energy is tapped we can save millions of rupees squandered otherwise towards irrigation facilities.
It will be wrong to pull out underground water through solar powered pumps.Water is a valuable national resource and should be used judiciously through use of water saving techniques e.g.drip irrigation.The drip irrigation ensures minimum loss of underground water table,maximum productivity and enhancing farmers living status.This facility is costly and state intervention is essential to provide it cheaper to farmers through subsidy.
In view of the aforesaid we can create virtuous cycle of wealth creation i.e.More productivity-
cheaper food items-happier public with good health–more income-more foreign currency-more prosperous nation.Thus this cycle goes on and on till eternity.”[i]
Thus if we want agriculture to prosper we have to ensure full utilisation of our resources,carry out scientific cultivation to make agriculture really remunerative.
RC Dixit,Medicinal Plants society

@kevinche, @Chandra
Couldn’t find this topic, Can you pls help with a new/updated link, if its moved somewhere else, Tia !!!

Found this, a short thread though:
farmnest.com/forum/new-trends-in … xperience/

ted.com/talks/shubhendu_sha … anguage=en
Enjoy for now, will post views later in day time.

@ Dixit Ji, Namashkar Sir, am fellow enthusiast. Kindly PM you ph #. Regards.

I loved flowers , so I got into the trading of cut flowers - burnt fingers and all ! you may love agriculture , watching fields swaying in the breeze, carting truck loads of the crop to the market, eating healthy food, being one with nature… ! all this is fine , if it is only for a holiday or on a farm tourism visit… the enchantment ends there.
Firstly you cannot be an absentee landlord, you have to live on the farm to understand the nuances of farming.Observation and swift responses are key to this enterprise.
Secondly , success is measured in two areas, the moneys that the enterprise can rake and the quantum increase in the fertility of the soil, the road map for this is to get a proper project report in place ( not one doctored for the bank ) and get the soil tested .
Thirdly and lastly , the ingredients of the project will stem from a proper site study, nearby markets , surrounding farming operations and your commitment to the business ! With the frequent change in the climate patterns, it would be fool hardy to depend on the monsoon any more ! thus it is imperative that we tend the land, harness and harvest as mush water as we can and plan ,keeping in mind the vagaries of the monsoon.

Sir,

It is encouraging to read the topic on opportunities in farming. I hold a little more than 5 acres of land in dodaballapur, Bangalore rural. As of now lying barren. Understand that there is just water to manager 2 acres of land. When I bought the land a few years back, the borewell in the land got covered by mud and stones and now lies defunct.

I am keen to develop the land so that it gives me some income. Please let me know how to go about it with minimum investment.

regards,

sriram
ymc.

Dear RC Dixit,

Good Read, thanks for valuable ideas, I have passion for farming , hope to start it soon, will follow your article, infact I thought that Neelgai and monkey cause much loss to crop, may be I thought otherwise,

thanks again

Rajeev Pal

rajeevkumar_1007@yahoo.co.in

Dear Friends,
I m Sushil JADHAV fm Pune .Mechanical Engg By PROFESSION.Recently stopped my car renta,l bussiness .I m having a friends land near a lake in pune of 2 acres and i m planning to enter into polyhouse farming OF CAPSICUM
.I hAVE NO FARMING experience but a hard worker.
can anyone plz help me out with following questions plz.
1.FLOW CHART OF POLYHOUSE FARMING OF CAPSICUM
2.COST REQUIRED IN EACH STEPS OF FARMING
3.MAN POWER IN EACH STEP.LABOUR COST.
4.THE PERIOD TO GET FIRST HARVEST
5.PESTICIDES REQUIRED
6.HOW GRADING IS DONE FOR EXPORT ITEMS.
7.WHAT IS THE MAIXIMUM PRODUCTION PER ACRE I CAN GET .
8.WHAT IS TIME TILL THIS PLANTS GROWS THE CAPSICUM.

Rgds,
Sushil Jadhav
Pune
Maharashtra
7.MAXIMUM PERIOD TO BE KEPT IN COLD STORAGE SO THAT CAPSICUM DOES NOT GIVE AWAY ITS PROPERTIES.

IMO, that’s precisely is the problem. When a vast majority of people depend on a single business, it cannot be very profitable. We need far lesser number of farmers. In India farming cannot be even categorized as a business. We have farmers who own lands worth tens of lakhs produce Soybean that gives them net profit of Rs 50,000 (assuming 10 acres land, 5-6 quintal produce, Rs 3000 per quintal rate). A bad real estate investment should yield better than this and that too without any work.

sooner or later, number of farmers will reduce, farmlands will become cheaper and corporate farming will come in vogue.

I am newbie farmer just starting out on a 4 acre farm. I agre that it has to be treated like any other business with proper allocation of capital, manpower and required planning. My idea is to use all modern technologies like drip irrigation, shadenets and semi hydoponics, soil less mediums like coco peat etc as a semi organic horticultural plantation. So far even to get the project to get going I have to make large investments like fencing, shadenets, drip irrigation, a supervisor etc.etc. All this requires high investments which could act as an entry barrier for many.

I will post my further experiences, as I go along.