Economics of agri and an early retirement from corporate career

Dear Members,
Especially Mathew, Guru, Naren, Padmanabhan Ganesan and Upadhyaya for sharing their experience/knowledge, it’s valuable, priceless and inspirational to me and many people around here.
I wanted to start by saying that I am writing this sitting in my office desk on a Friday morning, just waiting for the clock to touch 4, so that I can run away from this corporate job to my home town for the weekend.
To begin with, I work in Bangalore as an analyst in a Biotech company. I came to Bangalore after completion of my Masters in 2006 seeking a good job, since then I have been working in this corporate job for almost 11 years. My home town is Mysore. I am a married and my family (wife, 1 year old daughter, Mother and my father) stays in Mysore. I travel to my hometown every Friday and return to Bangalore on Monday.
Even though I come from an agriculture family we don’t own any agriculture land anymore, as my father the only son had to sell his ancestral land for his sister’s marriages. Now my father has nothing left from the ancestral land.
My father and myself are very passionate about agriculture and like many others in this forum I don’t want to work in this corporate job.
Last year we decided to buy an agriculture land near Mysore. We have shortlisted the land which is 20 Km from Mysore City center. We have mortgaged the houses in Mysore to buy this land at 10L/Acres. Its 4.5 acers of paddy growing land close to the river.
Right now, its barren, I mean the earlier owner use to grow paddy hence they don’t have anything in that land. There is a water channel near to the land and the owner use to get water from the channel for 6 months to grow paddy.
I have taken 25 Lakh mortgage loan and for the remaining money we have used all our savings. I wanted to go for agriculture because not for the money but for the passion and a dream to make something that I always loved.
When I first told my dream of buying an agriculture land to my friends and relatives, they were very negative about it and they told me to buy an apartment in Bangalore instead of agriculture since there is no life in agriculture. They use to tell that I am the only one who is taking a mortgage loan on the house and buying a farm land where as others do the opposite (sells their agriculture land and buy house/apartment). But I don’t want to buy anything in Bangalore, I am willing to take the risk of my life to do what I always loved (agroforestry). But my father and mother supported my dream they told me to do what my heart says.
I was very nervous at the beginning and could not sleep at night thinking am making a bad decision, will I survive. Later I told myself what every decision I take I will stick to it, I must do whatever it takes to fulfill my dream, I want to live and do what I love. I don’t want to have any regrets later thinking that I should have done that, done this.
So finally, we have arranged all the money and we will get the land registered this month (Jan 2018). I have taken a small step forward towards my dream.
I wanted tell you what I want to do. I want to go for agroforestry based a farming. I don’t expect any results/returns for the next 5 years from the farm, I will continue my job for the next 5 years.
Since I want to go for agroforestry based a farming I have planned to do the following:
• Borewell: even though land gets water for 6 months, and we can’t depend on the govt, I will go for one or 2 borewells.
• Fencing: I would like to put the fencing around the farm. A simple stone pillar and barbed wire.
• Trees: I want to plant trees around the farm Melia Dubia, Agarwood, Teak. I would buy the saplings form the local forest department as they provide subsidized rate.
Please let me know how much trees can be grown on the periphery/perimeter of the land. The land is almost rectangular and has road on two sides?.
• Main plantations:

1. Coconut: To plant good hybrid/dwarf variety of coconut.
    Chandra Sankara (COD x WCT)
    The palms come to bearing early when compared to tall palms. It is a heavy yielder and
    produces 116 nuts/palm with a range of 100-150 nuts.
    Is there any other fast growing coconut tree available please let me know.
  2. Banana/papaya: as intercrop.
  3. Areca Nut
  4. Jackfruit: 4-5 jack fruit.
  5. Drumsticks
  6. Lemon
  7. Neem
    This is what I am plaining to do. Please feel free to comment guide positive or negative. Or Am I stupid to do what I am proposing? Please guide me in my adventure.

Regards
Sudi.

hi Sudhikir,

You have penned down your feelings pretty well. You can earn money very well in agriculture too but if you plan well as per market and climatic conditions. I would advice you to go for tissue culture teak varieties and good hybrid coconut seedlings from deejay. These will help you generate revenue in a short time. Plan drip in your field accordingly.

Thanks
Narendra

Thanks Narendra sir,
I will definitely go for drip irrigation, and I was not aware of the tissue culture teak varieties. Will go for teak with tissue culture.

Thanks a lot for the suggestion.
Regards
Sudhir

Pranam, as a senior in this field your grit is a constant reminder to us youngsters. It is the single most important thing in farming. I am a commerce background student and the only reason I am surviving is idiotic , thick skulled grit.
I started a polyhouse and had to learn basics of soil and water from scratch in bits and pieces. Good luck with polyhouse as it requires your academic background.

Hi Sudi,

Similar is my case, It seems to me that, I am reading my own mind in your post. I too have purchased around 2.5 Acer of land by borrowing money from banks.
Anyway, as you said, me too feel passionate towards agro-forestry and not expecting any return till next 5 years. As its almost a year now after you have entered the venture. Please help me with some quick tips and helpful ideas. I know you may have come across many ground level realities during this course and definitely would like to learn from you. I would be very great full if you can please share the way where I can contact you. or if possible please write me on amitrjil.mumbai@gmail.com

Expecting to get in touch with you soon

Hi Amit,

Its good to know that you have started what you dreamed. Welcome to Agriculture. All the best for your future.

It has been one year since I have purchased the land.
I have spent a good amount of money to change the land from the what it is now. Right now my one year old farm has the following.

I had drilled 2 borewells in march 2018 got good water, 3" in both well.
To start with I had grown corn on the entire land and sold them in the month of July. Made some money, But that was less then what i spent on bore well and a Private Transformer. At least i had seen some money to start with.

so From August I had started to go for plantation crops.

1. I have planted 160 Coconut trees in my 3 Acres farm out of the 4.5 acres.
  2. Planted 250 Nos of Forest trees around the boundary (teak, Silver, Melia Dubia).
  3. I have now started growing banana through suckers (Tissue culture was little expensive hence, i used the suckers). banana is now 2 months old.
  4. I have to plant Areca nut for the 1.5 acres. still pending.

I will upload the pic. Its not that great but, its just a year old farm, started from the scratch.

Also planted lots of exotic fruits, like Butter Fruit, Durian, Passion, Pulasan, Rambutan, Leeche, jack fruit etc.

you can contact me at sudi.sudhir@gmail.com

Dear Sudhirkr,

I am very much glad that you replied and very big thanks for warm welcome. The photos of your farm are quite impressive. Being a newbie many questions and curiosity is there in my mind. The land I have purchased do have electric connection so basically I am not looking on that front. I am confused between well or borewell, how much water will be sufficient for 2.5 acers of land to irrigate . Another thing that is challenge for me is, the land needs fencing before any exotic or costly farming project as villagers told me wild boar do come in this area. So while looking out for solution on this fence issue I have come across a tree called Jathropa as it is quite poisonous and can be used in medicinal / Pharma and cosmetic applications so can it be planted on sides of farm to create live fence.
I am planning to do rose farming in open field for initial duration. As we know agro-forestry is time taking process and approach, please let me have some of your valuable inputs and too do list to attain this long term goal, it will be very helpful if you can share some timeline set by you or a road map.
Are you also looking for Premaculture or ZNBF concept ? are you taking help from any consultant ?

Awaiting reply…

Dear Amit,

Great to know that you already have the Electricity connection.

To start to answer your query, I want to clarify that I am no expert in agriculture, but my father is an agriculturist and I learned most of the thigs from him, and also during my initial period I visited lot of farms and interacted with the farmers, and got to know few things from them.

If you go with drip irrigation even 2” of water is sufficient for around 3 acers or more. And also helps in conserving the water.

Regarding the wild boar menace, even I had this issue when I was cultivating corn. They used to dug up the root and destroy the standing crop. But I didn’t face too much of issue and I let them have their share.

If you are going for live fencing there are lot of information in this form regarding live fencing. You can check them out.

I also suggest considering bamboo as a live fencing option.

There are two variety of bamboo

The first is the running variety, which grows very fast and can be quite invasive if not controlled properly. The second is the clumping variety, which is slower to grow, but is easier to contain within a specified boundary. Running bamboos provide a quick and tall fence, but they may require more work in terms of containment. . Before you decide on a certain species, ensure that it will do well in your weather conditions.

Pros and Cons of Live Bamboo Fencing

Live bamboo fencing is considerably cheaper and longer lasting than most wood or metal fences. You can keep it for as long as you want, provided you take proper care of it. There are several different varieties and looks you can choose from. Best of all, it is environmentally friendly and it reduces air borne pollutants.

It is important to keep an eye on your live bamboo fencing to ensure that it is not spreading beyond your property OR invading your farm. Regular pruning and removal of young shoots may be necessary, especially with the running varieties of bamboo.

Hello Everyone,

It is true that each one has a trigger to move away from the cozy offices and fat paychecks. It can be health issues, stress at work, less time with family, traffic issues, pollution, contaminated food, passion for farming, in search of peaceful and relaxed life.

In my case, i cannot pin point on one or 2 of the above. It is a mixture of many of the above.

On the contrary we have other challenges, security of the family (both socially and financially), lack of good healthcare especially with aging parents or babies, getting used to slow way of life, change in standard of the community, drought, heavy rains, market prices etc.

I am just starting out on this new field of agriculture. I have purchased 5 acres of land near to Mysore (50 km away), solar fencing done, water tank with HDPE liner laid, bore well dug, drip system installed, shed construction and cultivation of land for Papaya plantation is just completed. Transplanting is planned during 4th week of this month.

I have installed a water softner (Hydroenergizer), the seller is stating that it converts non-structured water to structured water. Have to see the results.

I have a local person to oversee the proceedings, i am just hoping that he is a dependable person, there is only 1 way to find out, by continuing the journey with a ray of hope.

There are already 450 teak trees 7 years old spread across 5 acres of land. I have this vision of converting 3 acres of land either into Natural farming or permaculture garden, 1.5 acre of polyhouse and remaining for a big rain harvesting pond.

I am also considering to look into finding a job in Mysore so that i can stay close to farm and visit 3 times a week. There by gain some experience and slowly get used to the farm life instead of going full throttle.

If i can last till this phase then i have plans to diversify into livestock and purchase another 3 to 5 acres of adjacent land.

In my opinion the 2 most critical aspects for people like us to succeed in moving completely into agriculture is family support and to learn having less expectations from the nature.

The upsides of such life style would be access to best quality food, good health, more time with family and learn to grow with Nature.

The income may decrease or increase depending on available natural resources, market price, pest control but if you are fairly good at planning and have good water supply then i dont see any reason for you not to be successful.

All the very best with your new endeavour.

Wish you all the best and hope to see you successful.

Regards

Aadi

Wish you all the very best in this journey. Please explore the world of Floriculture also to ensure you are making the most optimum use of your land and ensuring that the earnings out of the land continue to not just meet but exceed your expectations.

From the corporate culture we bring a lot of habits like -

1. we are in a hurry
  2. We all have a goal - weekly/ monthly/ yearly
  3. Most of the administrative stuff is done by someone else.
  4. we look at the final numbers but may not be paying full attention to the small numbers whcih pass by every day.

Those mentioned above and a lot more of such typical corporate habits lead to cost issues at the farm so please be ready to unlearn as much as you want to learn!!

All the best and please do share your journey here so that others also can learn abd be inspired by your journey.

All the best.
What is structured water? I did some google searches and it seems very dubious to me… seems more like snake oil than any real science. But I am no expert, willing to learn if there is real science behind it.

Seems like a filtering mechanism to filter salt and other mineral content…more here:

I’m sorry, but that site is full of BS. If you bought their product, you’ve wasted your money.

Nope…I didn’t…was just looking for structured water and came across the site…thanks for the heads up!