Economics of agri and an early retirement from corporate career

dear members,

As discussed several time and seen in in various forums and threads, almost every 2-3 out of 10 corporate pressure cookers dreams to get an early retirement at 35-40yrs of age and dreaming for peaceful, cinematic and well settled economic life in Agriculture farming or diary farming … or various farming activities in remote or native village places…

who ever born in rural and migrated to city dwellers in urban corporate life and spending 10-15 yrs with a corpus fund of 50-75lacs dream to get out of the corporate life and venture in rural life.

but what is the real fact ?? whether such things are foolishness or really worth to migrate back to the native or rural place. those born and bought up in urban city may not have such feelings but from the various threads have experienced that most of the chaps born, studied in rural and for the job settled in city always dreams for going bank.

we have number of threads on such deliama or plans but do not have that much forums where actual experience speaks after settling back in rural after almost 10-15 yrs life in urban

yes such thoughts may be differ from person to person and their mental desire. however there are some generic facts which I thought members may contribute and share.

a short snaps on Corporate life/urban life

almost 10-15 yrs time already spent in the comfort of AC corporate life, well furnished homes, cars, weekly/monthly outings, good attires, social get together, steady and good income of more than 50K /month, same age group youth forums or social circles, subject in discussions always modern and minuet by minute news, gadgets, pupils attend posh school, wife have their own kitty parties, gossip circles, best beuti parleys and spending money for sweating in gyms…etc . in office designation and chair make the difference and respect. even though every one says hectic life, busy life. stress…etc but deep in side mind every one enjoy the life

snaps on Agricultural /farming

where in agri farming, everything goes slowly and naturally. Plants can not be develop/grow as we have used to ordered to our subordinates in corporate. rural life also again slow, no ac, no modern social circles and topic of subject for discussion may be most of negative news in news papers or near by areas. even though you used to show off in city, here in rural even if you are rich there is a way of simple life and show off/ not beyond that else so called rural social circle may not adopt as their own.

also in rural life, fear of reducing corpus fund you bought from city life, fear on what about monthly income, fear about getting out from the most comfort life of city especial wife and kids… …etc

so there are lot of struggles may be in real life in rural. the attitude and mental view how to tackle such struggles to tune the life in happy more in rural is most important. again a family person he has to settle and manage same such emotions and feelings of his wife and kids which may be most difficult part…

I request members to express their views and ideas on this matter. most importantly how to mold the rural agricultural life most successful in line with ones life in urban corporate life he has spent. for calculation purpose we consider he might have 50-60lca in corpus fund and he may need an income of min 50-60k per month.

my view that keep the corpus in bank and start a diary farm of 10-20cows which may start steady income as well as it can be full fill his desire to do agri farming too. and he can lead a healthy, wealthy and peaceful life in rural.

or else continue the corporate job till 60 and till kids settled with dreaming always one day farming will done and retire with bagages of grits, body troubles and luxury deases…

awaiting views.

rgds
mathew

1 Like

HORSOME MAN NO WORDS TO XPRESS
I too Quitted city life, born and brought up in chennai after my kid born i have settled in my village near madurai.My wife too have same interest in farming we shifted our family to village and doing farming for the last 2 years.what are the problems u said im facing daily.as per your last line i dont want to give up so started living my life and not day dreaming abt it till my 60s and all credit goes to wife whos supports me a lot

dear vmg,

thanks for your sharing and wish you best of luck. request if you could share more in details like your thought process while quiting the job and planning v/s real fact now in your agri farming/rural settlement. so such experience can be an eye opener or fact sheet for others too and help to take proper decisions.

how you enjoy your present life? how your wife and kids coop in rural ? what about generating income from agri compaire to as you did in job and most importenatly how satisfied or any grit fealing/regret on decision

rgds
mathew

Dear Mathew,

You have mentioned 50-60 Lakhs corpus. If you invest this properly, you may get 5-6 lakhs per annum @ 8-12% which may be close to what you are expecting (50-60 k per month). This depends on what type of investment you are doing.

1. Safe Investment is Post Office MIS - 8% returns - Max 15 Lakhs Investment for 2 persons
  2. Fixed Depost - 9.25% and above currently offered in banks
  3. Bond Funds - 8% -12% range (Refer to Value Research Online)
  4. Equity Funds - Dividend Option - 10%-15% (When DTC comes into picture, Dividend Optio is taxable at AMC itself). So, consider Growth Option (Refer to Value Research Online)
  5. Direct Equity - Best Avoided if your resources are limited

While the above wil sap out your corpus and will give you returns, will you be able to spend on buying the agricultural land and investment in terms of maintenance every month including labour, electricity, seeds, saplings etc.

While farming may look very pleasant to look from outside, there is a inherent risk and if you are ready to take those risks, then you plan accordingly.

My suggestion would be NOT to dip into your savings as the income from farming is not predictable. Any extra available money can be pumped into farming and realise profit by planning properly.

Regards
Padmanabhan Ganesan
agricultureforeverybody.blogspot.com

2 Likes

dear Padmanabhan,

thanks lot of your advises. well noted suggestions and have visited your blogs too. so have you stated agriculture farming already ? whats your profession. ??could you pls advise your intrest on agri farm.

you are being from Tamilnadu I realy need a help. if there still baren empty fertile land at 1-2 lac per acre availble in tamilnadu. whats your idea or all those called adv on cheap land in TN is fraude or myth. could you pls direct on this me pls…
rgds
mathew

Hi Mathew,

I will not be able to discuss personal things in this forum. Request you to contact me directly.

Regards
Padmanabhan

Question

How do you make a small fortune?

Ans

You take a large fortune and get into farming ;D

Just kidding. Over all farming like any other occupation is profitable if you are an owner/operator, in my opinion. The minute you start hiring a lot of folks, get into hybrids, chemicals etc, you start to see profits diminishing. Also farming or any other business/occupation should only be done if you have a passion for it. In life there are many ups and downs, but if you pursue things with a passion, it will succeed eventually. Depends again about the definition of success.

Shiv

2 Likes

Well said Shiva… thanks for sharing…

Thanks a lot Mathews for starting the topic

In a way, your opening post describes my current mindset, dilemmas. Not that I’m still contemplating. My decision to “move” out of the so-called modern life has been made. But the many how’s and what’s are there to be explored and a way has to be chosen.

true,. yes we all are sincerly expecting more feedbacks and experiances

Please read the above statement as

1. Safe Investment is Post Office MIS - 8+% returns - Max 15 Lakhs Investment for Senior Citizen Only and Max 9 Lakhs Investment for for 2 persons (8%)

Regards
Padmanabhan Ganesan

Dear Mr. Mathews,

You’re reflecting the same what I would like to share with my well wishers… I am just testing waters of this sector. Actually I am exactly between Urban and Rural background… I have some mixed experience.

I would like to share what I learned in these few months of my experience. First and for most we need to come out of this month on month work plan mind set.In our corporate life, we need to plan our expenditure on monthly basis based on our income. Bur in rural life (agri life style), we need to plan and purchase items like groceries in bulk during the period we have good cash flow such as after harvest/ selling and plan to invest or purchase valuables like gold as investment for next plan etc.

Thank you very much for starting this tag, I expect more sharings in this line to retune our working life.

Regards
Raja Ganesh

request Raja to share yoru so far experiance…

rgds
mathew

DEAR MEMBERS,
I AM BORN  IN A SMALL AGRICULTURISTS FAMILY. BECAUSE OF SMALL HOLDING  AND MORE MEMBERS IN THE UNDIVIDED FAMILY I COULD NOT DEPEND ON AGRICULTURE AND HAD TO GO TO SCHOOL. AFTER FINISHING MY  SSLC  I CAME TO BANGALORE AND WAS SERVING IN A HOTEL AND IN THE MEANTIME I GOT A JOB IN  TELECOM COMPANY IE IN BSNL. I  WAS RETIRED    AS  A SENIOR ENGINEER IN THE DEPT  AFTER SERVING FOR  ABOUT 40 YEARS OF  SATISFACTORY SERVICE  JUST FIVE YEARS BACK. BUT I WANTED TO BE  ACTIVE IN MY FUTURE LIFE AND CONTRIBUTE  TO SOME EXTENT TO THE COUNTRY I THOUGHT AGRICULTURE IS THE BEST FIELD THOUGH I HAD OPPORTUNITY TO GET APPOINTMENT IN SOME OF THE TELECOM  COMPANIES.
I PURCHASED THREE ACRE LAND  IN DENKANIKOTTAI  NEAR HOSUR ABOUT 65 KM AWAY FROM BANGALORE.
I HAVE LEVELLED THE LAND FROM  8 STEPS TO THREE STEPS.I HAVE CONSTRUCTED A FARM SHED OF 6 SQUARES. CONTRUCTED A FENCE AROUND THE BORDER OF THE LAND. A BOREWELL WITH FREE EB WAS AVAILABLE . ARRANGED  ALL THE THREE ACRES WAS ARRANGED FOR DRIP IRRIGTION.
I HAVE PLANTED 1800 THAIWAN RED LADY PAPPAYA IN THE LAST OCTOBER MONTH IN TWO ACRES. IN ANOTHER I PLANTED MARY GOLD.  AFTER FOUR MONTHS I GOT AN YIELD OF 22 TONS OF MARYGOLD. NOW I HAVE PLANTED 3000 ASHGOURD IN THAT FIELD. MY PAPPYA STARTED  YIELD REGULARLY WELL IN TIME IN THE MONTH OF RAMZAN FETCHING  GOOD CASH. NOW EVERY WEAK I AM  GETTING 1.5 TONS  OF PAPPAYA FETCING ABOUT 50 TO 60 THOUSABND PER MONTH. I AM VISITING MY FARM  TWICE IN A WEAK FROM BANGALORE.THERE IS A VERY GOOD REMARKABLE OF THE LAND PRICE ALSO.  INITIALLY I WAS INTERESTED FOR HIGHTICH  AGRICULTURE  BUT BANKS DID NOT  GIVE ME THE LOAN. DONT MIND . SO MANY ALTERNATIVES  ARE THERE.
I  AM VERY HAPPY . I WANT TO EXTEND MY AGRICULTURE.  I AM VERY HAPPY  BECAUSE I AM CONTRIBUTING MY SMALL MIGHT  IN PROVIDING GOOD FOOD TO
MY FELLOWAN. I HAVE GOT LOT  OF AMBITION  IN MY FUTURE.
ACCORDING  TO MY OPENION PURCHASE  SOME ONE OR TWO ACRE LAND S9OME WHERE NEAR A BIG CITY AND GO FOR  EXCOTIC VEGETABLE OR HIGHTECH AGRICULTURE . DEFINITELY  VERY GOOD  INCOME UOU CAN EXPECT . DO SOME THING. DONT WASTE TIME . DONT HAVE DOUBT. ATTEND WORK SHOPS SEMINARS AND ATTEND AGRIMELAS. MEET PEOPLE PARTICULLARLY AGRICULTURISTS. GO AHEAD.TAKE UP          .  GREEN REVOLUTION AND CONTRIBUTE TO WHITE REVOLUTION. EARN MONEY. SERVE THE COUNTRY.
JAY HO JAY HO.
MN UPADHYAYA.MOBILE.94480338733

1 Like

Sir,

hats of you. great lessons and encouraging… .

rgds
mathew

nice seeing your post and did a good job whenever i come to hosur i will come and visit your farm
thanks
shajath

Sir,

This is truly inspirational and very good motivation to the people. I admire your enthusiasm in doing something constructive.

Thanks
Tej

well, I am also born in farmer family and have graduation in agriculture science.thereafter I joined bank service for about 30 years in one of the best public sector bank. In year 2001 when I was at senior manager posting at zonal level office.I had an opportunity to opt for vrs. with my certain goal to go for farming I invested some portion of my retirement benefit in purchasing 6.5 acre agriculture land as I have inherited agri. land too. I have develop orchard of mango ,lemon, amla and coconut trees, and few sag plants too.i have my own drip irrigation facility now.orchard farm having barbed wire fencing too.Interestingly all tree grownup to bearing stage are under my self personal care. I believe service to tree is service to God. I now planing to have inter crop like gum guwar, water melon, sakkarteti/musk melon in current year. Initially i had to work hard in farming operation by relying on others on rent for tillage but now system well organised for such operations. I am to go for organic farming too.

luckily, though initially oppose from my family and relatives for leaving good reputed job but I stick to my goal and now all relatives are happy with me. relatives had fear of my failure in agriculture bussiness but as a gold medalist at agriculture graduation level , I always like to have my success farm persuit.hence Iwas not hesitate in leaving ac chamber,I hope my future farming must be in control atmosphere i.e.green house.

2 Likes

Dear Karshanbhai

Kyem cho?.. hats of you sir, your experiane and sharing truly inspiring and clearing all our doubts about our fears…

rgds
mathew

Hi,

This mail is with reference to the opportunity in Agriculture field.

I am also one of the enthusiastic like you…Let me give a brief introduction abut myself.

I am currecntly working as a IT engineer in one of the leading MNC in Bangalore from the past 4 years. I am basically from M.P and have around 20 acres of agriculture land. Prior 3 years back my father was handling the fields and growing all seasonal crops. Now due to the age factor and lack of man power, we have given the land on yearly basis to other farmer.
I am looking for any business opportunity or idea which would be feasible for me to handle from Bangalore Later the business is settled , i can work full time and quit the job.

As of now i have no plans as such, currently we have given land to our cousin and they are taking care of it with a very nominally amount.
I am looking for some plan where we ourself can do something may be plantation whvih can give output in 2-3 years with less care…no matter whether that gives less output initially. We have all the equipments (tractor , tubewell and other agriculture machines).

Please suggest and help each other to make the difference and provide opportunity for others as well.

Regards,
Ankit