Difficulty in milking

Hi all !

Recently I bought a native cow with its first calf of 5 days old. It doesn’t allow anyone to milk it. It becomes violent when we try to tie its hind legs . I have no experience in cow rearing and about 4 milkmen tried and failed to milk it. Please advise me as to how to milk it.
Thanks.
Boovarahan S

The person looking after the cow daily will be attached to that cow. The cow will identify him and will not have fear when he touches the cow. Strangers can cause trouble. This phenomenon is there for buffaloes also. Avoid presence of strangers while milking. Leave the calf if available in front of the cow. Give something to eat like green fodder or hay just to turn the attention of the cow while milking or give water with little cattle feed in it. Dont give chance for the cow to move around. Use something to block the cow to avoid movement. Cow must be standing straight. Good luck.

Murali

well i faced similar problem with my first cow

make the cow comfortable
tie calf in front of cow/ adjacent to cow so that cow can lick calf
build a good rapport with cow!!!
you can also try calf sucking for first few seconds then milk

if it not works,restrict cow movements
news.google.com/newspapers?nid= … 3988&hl=en

Please see locally done partitions. You must fix it below the cow standing floor level- I mean the support with clamps on both sides immersed under the concrete floor. Use cow mats to protect the cows from knee injury and udder cleanliness.

Murali Krishnan
srivinayakatvm@gmail.com

hi added to the above attempts, I suggest play soothing music. I have read and heard that music makes the cow relax. If I were to try, I would select flute music :slight_smile:

Some people think its just mythological stories (even I did, few months back), but cows and flute have some connection… dunno what but there sure is something :sunglasses:

Yes,that’s right. Any soft music is fine. Instrumental or Ghazal or Devotional songs. It should be played in a low voice. Cows listen to songs while resting and regurgitating.

Murali

Lord krishna used to rear cows accompanied by flute music only, as per mythology. [quote=Nithin]
hi added to the above attempts, I suggest play soothing music. I have read and heard that music makes the cow relax. If I were to try, I would select flute music :slight_smile:

Some people think its just mythological stories (even I did, few months back), but cows and flute have some connection… dunno what but there sure is something :sunglasses:
[/quote]