Bullock driven pumps and Drips

Hi All,

I have been exploring the option on bullock driven water pumps and drip irrigation,i have read in internet that couple of people doing it.

Wanted to know if some one has first hand experience on these.Even i have heard,bullock driven alternators/generators are being considered as option for remote villages.

Regards,
Venkat

There’s only one company I know that makes these - Panchaal Pumps of Kanpur - whose videos you may have seen online. If there’s another company you know of, do share. I saw the pump working first hand three years ago at Luv-Kush farm in Kanpur. They said it cost them around Rs.70,000 when they installed it (now the price may have increased substantially) and it can draw water from the depth of 140 feet. It can be used for a variety of applications - cutting fodder, as sprinkler, perhaps power generation and air compression too when paired with an alternator and compressor respectively.

Hi All,

I have seen a research paper submitted by some PhD candidate for power generation in rural villages in rajasthan,Which is bullock driven.Let me search again and see if can find out.

By the way 70,000 is only for step up gear apparatus or does it include something else.if its only for RPM step up,the 70K is too steep i believe.

Regards,
Venkat

Does some one has info about ho many hours a day, a pair bullocks can work happily.I have tried googling not much help,any first hand info will be really helpful.

Any traditional techniques,which will just engage the bullocks to work with no manual supervision for driving the pumps. I believe i have heard some where,that you cover the eyes of bullocks and engage them to move and they go on doing it with out man supervising it.

Note:i am not talking about animal exploitation,i am just trying to see if there is any way to optimize the whole process.

Regards,
Venkat

Hi

I have read about this type in Govardhan Eco Village. Am attaching a document for your perusal.
Alternative energy.pdf (1.13 MB)

Do share if you’re able to retrieve it.

I’m not sure but I think it includes the cavity pump, step up gear, apparatus for fodder cutting and installation of all equipment including civil work and labour. You can contact Panchal Pumps for quotation.

Specs: http://www.panchalpumps.co.in/power-saver-animal-driven-pumps-1218686.html

There’s an excellent book that answers this question in depth. It’s called Animal Traction, published in 1981. You can download it here.