Banana Circle - your views please

Dear farmers, Has any one got realtime /handson experience using the Banana Circle concept. What has been the benefit or draw back. Also is it something you would reomend having tired it or heard about it?

Any response would be greatly appreciated.
@Chandra- would you know folks who would be able to help answer this query?

1 Like

The banana circle concept is very old, and permaculturalist around the globe use this method if suitable in their design. You would want to use this method mainly if you have a space constraint or planning to design your farm based on permaculture design principles and only if there is a real need for it. Why I emphasize on design is because the circle would not benefit if the rest of the farm is managed conventionally like any other commercial farm -where farming is done in relatively straight lines or where machinery is often used, except if you are going to place the circle out of the way of the rest of the farm. If its in an orchard of other trees, you would need to ensure it benefits other plant species around while also serving other purposes. In terms of benefits, there is very little to manage (includes cost, maintenance, water) and the output is nearly equal to any other commercial banana farm output/plant. But if its incorrectly placed or added to the farm for no apparent reason, it might become a hindrance to day to day cultivation work. If you are thinking or planning about it, do share more information of your farm/orchard/home garden and what you plan to do with the banana circle. Hope this helps! Regards, eric

1 Like

Hello

I am looking grated 1000 big fruits seedlings of Amala (phyllanthus emblica) for Nepal so if you have seedlings plz let me know the price per seedlings including transportation fare to Nepal. I want to know the exact name of the variety, scion stock and root stock, when it will produce fruit and yield per tree etc.Nowadays, I am out of Nepal and will be backed after November 20th, 2019. You can add my cell number in Viber talk chat.

Dr Khem Raj Bhattarai

Thanks Eric. Do you know of this method being used commercially at a farm where the whole of the farm is created on this concept?