Anyone here into floriculture?

if this cost does not involve open vents on top and drip irrigation + if it has 60 micron sheet, then the cost seems right. but without all of this a polyhouse structure isn’t worth it. putting a 60 micron sheet instead of 200 micro uv stabilized, it is almost equal to going for open cultivation.
plus
always remember you are making the structure only to cover it with something useful, quality of film is the major part of polyhouse cultivation.
we can have lot of discussion in this topic.

Aman

Yes, I completely agree with you. Do you have any recommendations for a good supplier or consultant who can provide design of the polyhouse? I can also look at turnkey supply if they do not feel comfortable selling their design.

hi rana whichis ur place? there r numerous turnkey fabricators around bangalore.
jain irrigations also do construct greenhouses. i have not utilised their service… they r professionals. but the cost seems to be on the higher side.------- if u r going to construct yourself , visit many polyhouses and find out the drawbacks in those and finally decide. even simple mistakes in the starting may lead to much hardships and expenses and losses during cultivation stage. another aspect. — confirm whether self constructed polyhouse is eligible for govt subsidy.

Hi Aman,
Thanks for your reply. My Current Plan is to get a Polyhouse done for 1 acre for floriculture, Rose or Gerbera (Most of the farmers are growing it here). I dont have much experiance in farming, ( I have a 3000 sq ft kitchen garden and I have been able to grow my own veggies for most part of the year). I was suggested by some one that growing flowers is difficult for a novice, so better start with Horticulture (Colour Capsicum) and then next year move to floriculture. I would like to have your comments on this one.

Regards
sundar

[quote=sundars]
Hi Aman,
Thanks for your reply. My Current Plan is to get a Polyhouse done for 1 acre for floriculture, Rose or Gerbera (Most of the farmers are growing it here). I dont have much experiance in farming, ( I have a 3000 sq ft kitchen garden and I have been able to grow my own veggies for most part of the year). I was suggested by some one that growing flowers is difficult for a novice, so better start with Horticulture (Colour Capsicum) and then next year move to floriculture. I would like to have your comments on this one.

Regards
sundar
[/quote]’

Nothing is difficult and everything needs same energy and dedication to grow. Floriculture is little difficult on marketing side, but if you have that then you are good.

just start it man, dont think much. Their are pros and cons of every crop, depends on your market survey what you want to grow.

good luck

Aman

Sundar
Please treat colored capsicum with respect. Even this is not easy for some experienced, let alone novice. As some posts here have pointed out, polyhouse capsicum is not easy and needs lots of dedication and timely action. Only if you are aware of the methodology and treatments, go for it. Or read up a bit before you do.

All you need is self confidence. Everything else will fall into place.

Good luck.
Nikhil

Hi Aman

First of all I must thank you for your contribution to this forum, which keeps this forum live and informative. At the same time I acknowledge your thoughts that there can be better options with shade nets. Please find attachment whereby i have explained about my views on poylhouse and shadenet house:

I am new to this sector and views may be wrong. As u are in the field guide me developing something which cost low but effective.

Awaiting your response

Prosanjit
Shadenet house.docx (18.9 KB)

Very well prepared document prosanjit

Please give me sometime to get back on this topic. I have been a little busy lately. Apologies

Aman

Hi Aman

Now you know my name, and to further introduce myself, I was born in central India’s humble town Jabalpur and completed my schooling in St Aloysius (1995 batch). Joined Indian Air Force in 1996 as a technical crew. Was a proud participant of Operation Vijay in 1999 during Kargil Infiltration and Operation Safed Sagar (Atlanta Air Crash in Run of Kutch). In-service education include study of tech equipments of air and ground, on civil side, I completed MBA (Finance & Marketing). Retired last month after completing 18 yrs of service. Presently settled in Indore and want to join the elite group of Agri-prenuers.

As there is a constant encroachment of lands by builders, I am planning to start away from city say about 70 Kms. Soil in most part of this region is black soil and before I opt for a suitable land a small check list which, I gathered from this forum:-

• Nearest electric line (to avoid setting up of the same).
• Nearest village (for availability of working hands).
• Nearest Industrial area (avoid being a victim of expansion plans).
• Nearest lake (will get cool breeze but underground water may or may not be good).
• Ground water level / resources for irrigation.
• Air velocity data of the region.
• Infestation of pest in the region.
• Animal infiltration.

Kindly intimate if I have missed out something.

I will place the members of this forum as an important source of practical information. I am new to this Industry and as I learned from all of you, I will make all efforts to put up my views and share any information gathered by me.

I will choose protected cultivation which enables my crops to withstand adversities of weather. To add with, I am searching ways to have a protected environment in Indian perspective, means to have cooler concept rather than heated polyhouse. There are some traditional methods which helps in cooling the surroundings in a natural way, but unable to link up with the needs of agriculture. Don’t know how much or how far I will go but contribution from all will definitely help.

In the month of Feb 2014, I visited Mugal Garden of Rastrapati Bhawan, I saw tulips and lilys, there were picture perfect. Point is that, there were no polyhouses or artificial cooling/heating systems and the temperature in Delhi varies from nearly 1deg in winter to 45 deg in summer. Then how it is possible to have such beautiful flowers, which demands controlled climate?

I am dreaming and dreaming high in Floriculture, but for that, one needs to have a colder environment (18 – 23 deg cel). Please suggest how to achieve it. I request the members to put up their respective ideas, images, videos, links, write ups etc.

Aman, your views are really appreciable, take your time but do respond. Thanks.

Regards
Prosanjit

Hello

Does anybody out there have some kind of cost projection on floriculture cultivation for some of common cut flowers like Rose, Carnation, Gerbera, Gladiolus etc.

Information in terms of the below parameters will be great help.

Plants/Acre
Yield/Plant
Cost/Plant
Development Cost/Acre
Avg Sale price.

Also information on various subsidies provided by the various stare government will be of great help.

Also would like to thank all the contributors, this thread has been of great help.

Hi,

I am also new to floriculture and presently my interest is in Gerbera. As I don’t have hands on experience in farming, hence I was waiting for seniors to put in their views. Anyways, I have gathered some information which I can share with you.

Plants/Acre : 24000 nos

Yield/Plant : 130 -160 flowers/sq mtr/year and under polyhouse 175 - 200 flowers/sq mtr/year

Cost/Plant : Tissue culture saplings will cost you around Rs 35/- per piece

Development Cost/Acre : Will include the following

• Polyhouse – nearly 40 lacs/acre (without subsidy)
• Installation of drip irrigation – Rs 65,000 – 70,000/-
• Plant population along with 5% mortality rate
• Pump sets – 02 nos
• Sprayer - 01 nos
• Small garden tools
• Packing house
• Labourer’s /Guard house
• Fencing
• Others (include salaries/wages, electricity, maintenance of tools etc)

Avg Sale price : Rs 2 to 3/- per flower.

Subsidies provided : Central Govt is providing 50% subsidy. In addition to this various state level subsidy are also being provided. Its differs from state to state. You need to work out on this or some members of your state can help u with their inputs.

Please find some additional info on Gerbera as attachment.

Happy farming.

Prosanjit
additional info on Gerbera Cultivation.docx (16.2 KB)

Hello prosanjit

All your info is perfect except that construction of polyhouse per acre should be less than 40 lakhs.

I have just got a little free, let me know how can i help you. Please shoot me with some questions, i would love to answer them and be accurate as much i can.

Aman.

Aman

Hi Aman

First of a big thank you for all your inputs and cooperation. Following are my set of questions :-

• Can you name some types of soil born diseases, which are very common to central India’s climatic conditions.
• How can we prepare the soil which can ensure diseases free crops (arising from soil)?
• What are the demerits of shade net house in comparison to poly house.
• How much light is required by Gerbera plant. Will partial shade can suffice the need.
• Should I take the help of consultant services for preparing the soil and bed for Gerbera. If yes, then a suitable recommendation is requested.
• How is the market in Central India, with respect to cut flowers.
• In one of your post u mentioned that drip and venturi plays a major role, can you please elaborate the specifications.

There is so much to learn from you. Please guide.

Happy Farming

Prosanjit

Thank you Prosanjit and Aman for the information.

As Aman pointed out I believe the cost of 1 Acre Polyhouse suitable for Floriculture is around 24-26 Lacs.

We are looking to start Carnations on an 1 Acre and collecting similar info as posted by Prosanjit.

Appreciate if you could point me towards an such information already there in the net.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Hi,

Forwarding Carnation manual as attachment. Hope it will help.

Happy Farming

Prosanjit
Carnation Manual.pdf (375 KB)

Prosanjit

Here are your answers as to best of my knowledge.

1. Major soil born disease in central india is nematode, which can be controlled by crop rotation and by using pacilomyces as soil application.
  2. To avoid soil borne disease, for such a high value crop one should definately get the fumigation done for the soil. Also their are many practices that we can follow throughout the crop cycle.
  3. Only demerit i see is diffusion of light is present in polyhouse whereas it is absent in greenhouse and in polyhouses their is a protection from rains as well. I wouldnt suggest high value crops in just a shadenet house. It should have protection from rains as well
  4. I would say that 50% shadenet works perfect for gerbera plants about the ligght intensity i.e lux i will have to check but it is quite decent. (I will get back to you on this )
  5. No consultation is required for such activity. Save your money their, we can guide you on the same without any cost. :slight_smile:
  6. Their is good market for cut flowers here but it again depends on which city are you talking about. If its indore and bhopal, gerbera has a 8-9 acre capacity consumption.
  7. Drip for cut flowers should be 12mm and 30cm dripper to dripper distance. Pay attention on this as companies saves their cost in this and the farmer is fooled. For venturi, its a simple system that works on the principle of suction due to vacuum.

Hope i was clear in my answers. If doubts please get back to me.

Thank you

Aman

Hello Aman,

Thank you once again for your valuable suggestion.

Crop rotation and Cycle : To be honest, I was unaware about this area, but your initiation followed by web search, I came to know about lot of things like the plant family, the good pests, the companion plants etc giving new dimension to my thoughts. You talked about many more practices, can you tell me some. Indeed there is so much to learn and do. Each day brings new ideas, new concepts and new challenges. I feel knowledge is proportionate to opportunities and challenges. The more I get in the more bigger it seems.

Polyhouse : I agree with the points brought in by you. Noted.

Consultation: Thank you so much, means a lot to me.

Market for cut flowers: Presently I am looking forward for Indore/Bhopal market. Further to marketability of flowers, I have read your concern about the cost sinking to Re 0.5/- per flower due to increase acreage. I have surveyed in some retail outlets at Indore and found that gerbera flower is costing Rs 10/- per piece. I mean if there is an increase in supply then the end user cost should also reduce, but it remains the same, on the other hand it has increased over the years. Then who creates the vacuum.

If we take today’s scenario a farmer gets Rs 2/- and a consumer spends Rs 10/- then who takes away Rs 8/- per flower (monthly calculation for one acre gerbera is huge). After putting our heart and soul, bearing infrastructure cost and interest rate, why we let them take away the major chunk? Will community farming and cooperative retailing under one banner help (taking the example of AMUL India)?

According to you, what are the present and probable roadblocks/bottle necks in today’s flower market?

Setting Drip System : Thank you for your information. I will keep in mind.

Happy Farming

Prosanjit

Soil borne disease can be controlled by continuous application of biocontrol fungicides like pseudomonas, trichoderma etc.
chemical fumigation of soil before transplanting will protect your plants for at least a year.

Prosanjit about marketing, its a huge and lengthy discussion. Lets discuss whenever you can come over or over the phone.

Aman

Hello Aman

It was really nice talking to you. Inputs provided by you were really effective and now given me new dimension.

Regards

Prosanjit

Hi,

Thanks a lot Aman and Prasonjit for this discussion.
@Aman I have read lot of your posts on other threads aswell all of them are really very helpful specially to people like me who are new to agriculture.

@Prasonjit I am also from Indore and currently planning to start Flower and Vegetable cultivation under polyhouse. If you have some time we can meet someday and discuss on the same.

Regards,
Arpit
+91 9755523555