A dream long lived!

Thanks for sharing the video :slight_smile:. I decided on trench irrigation system after visiting and consulting farmers who have been practicing this since ages. I have seen farmers who have used both drip and sprinklers and have finally realised that trench is the best. Needless to say “mulching” is a must. :wink:.

It was a pleasure to have some of our members at my farm. All are welcome.

1 Like

There are some additional advantages to this approach - it also helps in rain water harvesting.
I am not seeing the mulching in you video. Do you have mulching in the Trench? Please explain that in details.

1 Like

Yeah, I wish we had that much water in our area to do trench irrigation. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I have taken a video of the trenches without the mulching so that one could understand the concept easily. We have mulched all our trenches and the pics can be seen in the pics posted earlier in this thread.

Also a great news to share i can actually see the muclhing matter reduce just in about 15 days. The treches which were filled to the brim have reduce to a large extent, which gives me a great amount joy.

The growth of the plants is seeming to differ to a large extent. The plants which received mulching 2weeks ago have shown better growth as when compared to the ones which got mulching recently.

1 Like

@chandra if i may ask what is the water availability at your farm. Just trying to understand :slight_smile:

Hi Subramanian,

I run 5 acres on a 2" inch bore that doesn’t have continuous flow. Further, we have power for a little more than 5 hours per day.

(Now think trenches! :)) )

Chandra we both are in sailing in similar boats as i am also farming on a 5acre land with “2&1/2” inches of water. Yes the only difference is that we have power almost 24 hours a day.

I understand with power playing the fool its tough.

Wow! 24 hours power!! That is a dream for people like me…We get around 4 hours of 3 phase electricity (near K.R. Pet, Mandya)…:slight_smile:

[envy] 2.5 inches for 24 hours is vastly different from 2 inch intermittent for 5 hours! [/envy]

We have made it a point not pump water for more than 4-5 hours a day. :wink:

Thanks for not taking my comments in an offensive manner… :smiley:

Subramanian, many congratulations for taking the plunge and fulfilling your dream! One comment on trenches - they seem to take about half the land. That’s a lot of square footage that’s not producing crops. Wouldn’t it be better if the vegetable beds were wider, let’s say 2-3 feet in width. This way you could plant water intensive crops on the sides of the bed and those that require less water in the middle.

The idea of having the beds 1.5 ft is so that we can have more crops on it and also when the soil is not very fertile ( i mean when the organic matter in the soil is too less ) the water doesn’t penetrate on a bed which is 3 ft or 4 ft.

As you can in the picture below, on both sides of the bed we have radish and in the center we have alternated with tomato and corn+cowpea combo. As you can see the bed is already packed and no space is being wasted.

I am no expert but these were thoughts i had in mind while planning the farm.

Note: the radish, cowpea and corn seeds were sown a month Aago and the tomato plant is 2 months old ( from seed to current date).

1 Like

@others reading the thread,
we had a visit to the Subbu’s farm in last month and had some refreshing coconut along with equally stimulating discussion. Later, we got some greens, sapota delivered to our place and tasted the produce from the farm.
waiting for the next harvest :slight_smile:
– Harsha

Your welcome Harsha… :slight_smile: the next round of harvest is round the corner will keep you posted.

Hi Subbu,

Looks like your inbox is full (my reply to your personal msg didn’t go thru).
I was in Bangalore this weekend and was thinking of visiting your place. Just came back to Mysore today. I will give you a call next time when I am on that side.

Thanks
Biju

I am new in farming.
Going to start palekar model in 1.5 acre area(five to 7 little plot = 1.5 acre land)
I am from jharkhand and here temperature will be 40-48 ° in may June.
Can you guide me in this.
What to do and what don’t

Would like to talk with you subramanian.g.r
Regarding drip irrigation and your said method and outcome