5 layer model for dry areas

Thank you G.P. Rao garu.

In that case, can anyone recommend other alternatives that can be grown instead of Arecanut in the 5 layer Palekar model?

Dear Raj sir, pl mention what are the other varieties you want to grow in 5 layer system ( mention your opinion so that good and bads can be discussed ). g.p.rao, farmer.

Sure. I want to raise horticulture plantation with plants having good symbiotic relationship, have multiple sources of revenue with long life span and not be labour intensive. Planning to raise them in ZBNF format.

These are the crops I am considering :: Tall coconut, Arecanut, Cocoa, banana, gliciridia, vanilla, chili, beans and ginger

While we are it, could you shed light on the life span, yield, revenue potential, demand, crop rotation etc for each of these crops?

Regards,
Raj

1 Like

The 5 layer model what you are mentioning is for Malnad area(high rainfall).

For dry areas Mango,pigeonpea,custard apple or pomagranate, papaya, drumstick are suggested. Mango can be substituted by Aonla or Sapota. Papaya can be substituted by Banana.

Thank you Sri. I noticed that Malnad’s rainfall is 3 or more times greater than this region. I will start evaluating alternatives.

[quote=sri2012]
The 5 layer model what you are mentioning is for Malnad area(high rainfall).

For dry areas Mango,pigeonpea,custard apple or pomagranate, papaya, drumstick are suggested. Mango can be substituted by Aonla or Sapota. Papaya can be substituted by Banana.
[/quote] Dear Raj sir, What Sri Sir said is correct and pl try to follow. Malnad area rain fall is 4 fold more than Visakhapatnam and whether is also very hot when compared. ( 5 to 6 C more ) As I said in earlier post, Sri Vijaya Sarathi sir tried his level best to go for 5 layer plantation system like Malnad near Eluru,West Godavary Dist,AP, but it is unfortunate,invain . g.p.rao, farmer.

Thank you Rao garu. I am already looking into Sri’s suggestions and trying to learn more about them. Except for pomegranate, rest all varieties should grow fine in this region to my knowledge.

What might be some pros and cons for sapota, custard apple? If you could elaborate on their returns, demand, supply etc that would be great.

Regards,
Raj

Dear raj,

I am also planning 5 layer model in southeren visakhapatnam.
Papaya, drumstic, lemon/banana are main horticulture plants using drip. Lemon is advised not so good in this region.

good luck for your journey

Please share ur contact details…

regards,
rajsekhar

Dear Raju,
I once visited Mr.Kailash murthy’s farm which has areca nut. At that time, we did not spend much time and discussed. Recently, i was watching one video taken by a visitor. In that Mr.Murthy said he did a mistake by planting areca for two reasons. One, it is not a food crop. Two, I think he said it was not suitable in his area.

If you are looking at the financial returns only and thinking about cocoa, vanilla etc, are you also thinking whether they are really suitable for vizag or not? Why not observe and study what is native there like cashew, coconut, mango (if it is too close yield will be affected, I have seen) and select from those trees?

-Yug

1. Intercrops duration - Would there be a time limit up to which the other intercrops like drumstick, banana and papaya can
    be grown (say initial 3 years) within the plantation?
    Yes. Papaya/Banana and drumctick can be grown immediately.

2. Is it essential to plant drumstick local or can we replace that with PKM-1 too?
    According to Sri.Palekar. Local veriety of drucmstick is needed to provide Dancing shade. But PKM1 and PKM2 are highly sensitve to cross pollination. It is still a big question how to have PKM1 and local drumstick in same plot.

3. Do you know of any good varieties of local drumstick?
    There is no special name other than PVAM

4. Can we include both varieties that are substitutable in the same plantation?
    ex banana & papaya : mango & sapota : guava & mosambi

Banana or Papaya and Mango or Sapota
or
Banana or Papaya and Guva or Mosambi