4 Day Polyhouse residential training at Baramati - Feb. 6-9

Dear forum members,

Sri, our moderator has provided details of 4 day residential course counducted by Krishi Vigyan Kendra, Baramati. The course fees are  Rs. 4,000/- and includes lodging and boarding. The course covers the following :

Introduction of poly house & shed
Soil fumigation, bed preparation,  Irrigation, fertigation etc.
Poly house crops
Visit to various poly house owner farmers
Non conventional crops in green house such as Anthurium, lily, Orchids etc.
Details of bank proposal for getting a loan.
Government and NHB schemes for green house

More details available on KVK website. 

Trust this is of help to forum members. Thanks Sri for the attachment.

Dear zen,

What will be the medium of instruction?

Website says Marathi/hindi/english.

regards,
rajsekhar

Dear Rajsekjar,

I called up KVK, and was informed that the medium of instruction is in English.

Best regards,

Zen

Dear all,

I have signed up for the Polyhouse training and look forward to attending the course in Baramati, from Feb. 6-9. Any other member  who has signed up.?

I will share my experience with members later.

Zen

Dear Zen,
I couriered my DD today…
See you at Baramati

regards,
rajsekhar

Folks,
I request you to carry camera when you visit polyhouses in the tour. Please upload the vedios on you tube and post pictures here.
If you make a PPT or any other formats of report it will be helpfull for other members.

Happy learning guys.

Dear Raj,

Glad to know…  Will see you there. What day/time you are arriving.?

Best regards,

Zen

Thanks for your input Sri. Will post pics, feedback and learnings for the benefit of members.

Dear Zen,

Arriving Daund junction on 5th night…On 6th morning to baramati

regards,
rajskhar

Dear RAj,

I will be arriving by Siddheshwar Express, and be at Daund junction at 3.30 AM. I have your no. and will give you a buzz.

Best regards,

Zen

I second the idea of getting back from the training programme and showing us videos and main pointers through powerpoint or write ups.
It will enhance the learning process for you, and encourage us to take the course as soon as possible.

Thank you.

Waseem

IS THERE IS TIME TO APPLY FOR THIS…?

Hi Udai,

Let me check and get back to you. Check the thread around 11.30 AM.

Best regards,

Zen

Hi Udai,

I spoke to the administrator of KVK. You can still join the course. Just ensure that you carry the bank draft with you when you arrive. The draft has to be made out as follows :

Beneficiary : Agricultural Development Trust’s Krishi Vikas Kendra.
Amount : Rs. 4,000/-
Payable at : Baramati

Any State Bank of India branch will make out the draft payable at Baramati, or check out other nationalised banks. I had to go to three different banks to get the draft, since private banks including HDFC Bank dont have a branch at Baramati.

Hope to see you there.

Cheers,

Zen

Back from 4 Day Polyhouse training. Will post later observations and learnings for members who may be interested in the subject.

Hi Zen,

Unable to attend the polyhouse course in Baramati, Can you please share your experience and what did you learn from the course?

Thanks,
Bhanu

Folks, below is the summary of the Polyhouse and Shade Net house management training conducted by KVK, Baramati.

The course covered  the introduction to Polyhouse concept, preparation of structure, soil fumigation, soil bed preparation,  irrigation, fertigation, climate and humidity control, polyhouse maintenance, pest and disease and pest management, cultivation of high value vegetables such as capsicum, colored capsicum, tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, and floricultural produce such as gerbera, carnations, roses, orchids and carnations.

The speakers on the topics were KVK’s own experts on soil management, pest and disease control, and polyhouse experts. Besides, there were outside guest speakers from companies providing consultancy and undertaking contracts in erection of Polyhouses, and from companies providing consultancy and saplings of vegetables and flowers.

The course included 1 day visit on farms and Polyhouse of progressive farmers, who use innovative ideas technology and for getting a better return from their land.

A point to note is that the farmers can avail of subsidies from either the state or the central government which is about 40-50% of the total cost of the project.  (more on the cost and economics of polyhouse and shade net construction cost later.  I will also post other bits of information derived over the 4 days course when I have free time)

Reading the program content, members will get a fair idea, and help them to decide if they would like to attend the course next time. In my view the cost of the course of Rs. 4,000/- (including food and accommodation) is well worth the money. Even farmers not sure of the project can get good ideas on getting more productivity and better farm management from the experts.

One of our Farmnet member had also got soil samples from his farm, which he got tested for a cost of about Rs. 375/- (take soil samples from different areas of the farm, mix and take a representative sample) This report states the type of fruits and vegetables suitable for planting on the land, EC of the soil etc.

Below is the summary of the course content :

Introduction to Polyhouse industry in India and scope for the future.
CD Show on Polyhouse and Shade Net management.
Concept and importance of Polyhouse and Shade Net house.
Climate control in Polyhouse.
Erection of Polyhouse, Soil fumigation, bed preparation.
Planting, irrigation and fertigation to Polyhouse crops.
Cultivation of color capsicum, cherry tomatoes, cucumber in Polyhouse.
Hi-Tech cultivation of rose, gerbera, carnations, orchids in Polyhouse and their problems.
Preparation of Polyhouse Proposals for bank loan.
Polyhouse construction details and their economics.
Polyhouse construction, management practices for growing flowers and vegetables.
Visit to Hi-tech unit of cultivation of flowers and vegetables.
Detail project report preparation and discussion of Polyhouse farming trends.
Pest and disease management in Polyhouses.
Problems of Polyhouse and Shade net house management.

The course included visit from 4 external speakers providing consultancy and saplings for cultivation of capsicum, colored capsicum, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, carnations, gerbera, orchids and from companies providing consultancy and erection of polyhouse shed, irrigation systems and fertigation systems etc.

The course was conducted in English and Hindi.

Dear friends,

Fortunately I had opportunity to visit training and want to summarize few points apart what Zen summarized in previous posts

1. Prior to attending training, spend many hours/days with internet about Greenhouse. Spending 4 days in KVK baramati has given me more knowledge. In house Greenhouse could be the reason for better grasping of lectures given.

2. Size of greenhouses mostly are 1000sq.m (1/2 acre). Fertilizer usage recommended or currently being used is chemical in all the cases and its around Rs45,000/year. So it comes to roughly 2lakh per acre in year.  Assuming 5 times more production compared to open field, chemical dose is atleast twice  compared to open field. In open field, I guess,20k to 25k is amount spend on fertilizers per acre in a year.  Conclusion is buying exotic vegetables from greenhouse should be limited.

3. For 1000sq.m greenhouse , 14lakh is capital expenditure. This is called open ventilated and mostly manual operated ie controlling temp, humidity, fertilizer doses etc. Subsidy amount comes to around 4.5 to 5.5 lakhs. You need to put up 14 lakhs first with bank loan. Then subsidy will be followed few months later to your bank.
    Cost of green house increases with automation ie fans/pads/fertigation unit.

4. pH and Ec (electrical conductivity) of soil and water are important parameters for greenhouse. Remaining can be supplied with fertigation unit.  6.5<pH< 7.5, Ec <1. All the greenhouse visited were of red soil though black soil is common around baramati.

5. Total attendees were of 25 and youngsters (age< 35) were 75%.

If anything I forgot, I will post later.
But if somebody has some specific questions, do pots.

regards,
rajsekhar
bandaru.rajsekhar@gmail.com

Thanks Raj,

Your post is quite informative from practical point of view, and considering that you are farming as well. For information of members, Raj is M.Tech from IIT Mumbai, who has travelled widely and is now taking up farming fulltime.

Hi Raj/Zen,

Many thanks for the informative information and openness for sharing the information.
Is these course available anytime in the future?
I would like to attend and understand the greenhouse production.

Thanks,
Bhanu